Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Suspension to ease strain on back

Started by Cablestein · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,578 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
13 November 2006
Last activity
21 November 2006
Original author
Cablestein
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,578
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am considering purchasing a suspension MTB now that an old spinal injury is acting up... due to my current bike aggravating an old injury.

    I currently ride a singlespeed trackbike all over town, steel frame, skinny everything, VERY low handlebars.
    It's sized-up for me pretty well. I don't experience much muscle pain from it (only on longer rides). It delivers incredible performance and kicks up the fitness level... but after riding it for 6 months I feel an old spinal injury acting up.

    Yes, most likely 80% of the problem is my posture on it, but also it could be the jarring effect when going over all kinds of road conditions as well.

    I am seeing a physio for general consultation. I do need a new mattress and I do need to stretch more. Aside from all that though, I would to simply get a new suspension bike to alleviate that strain and be able to bike more frequently.

    Questions:

    1 - In general, does having a bicycle with suspension greatly decrease strain on your back (muscles and/or spine) compared to a regular frame... or do issues with your back still exist even with a suspension bike (maybe because of bad posture)?

    2 - I have never owned a suspension bike, have been biking for 20 years. It's always been hard frame MTB's and the race bike this year. I'm sure the technology has developed a ton and it seems most people buy suspension MTB's... there's lots in stores. Prices have gone down. Can I be safe with getting a $600-700 (Canadian) suspension MTB, and it will be pretty high quality?

    3 - How common are regular MTB's (not the extreme kind) that are single speed, with suspension? I love singlespeed, I'd to keep up with that. It would save on cost too. But as far as I can tell the low-end pricepoint for anything singlespeed is always much higher than mainstream bikes, because I suppose they are for performanc-minded people?

  2. Cablestein said:


    1 - In general, does having a bicycle with suspension greatly decrease strain on your back (muscles and/or spine) compared to a regular frame... or do issues with your back still exist even with a suspension bike (maybe because of bad posture)?

    I ride rigid, HT , FS bikee, each for different types of terrain. none of my bikes put strain on my back, however, FS bikes tend to stretch you out more because of a longer top tube they use for a longer wheel base. If most of your riding is on asphalt, it would be difficult to justify a suspension bike. You'd be working a lot harder pushing those wider tires as well

    Cablestein said:

    2 - I have never owned a suspension bike, have been biking for 20 years. It's always been hard frame MTB's and the race bike this year. I'm sure the technology has developed a ton and it seems most people buy suspension MTB's... there's lots in stores. Prices have gone down. Can I be safe with getting a $600-700 (Canadian) suspension MTB, and it will be pretty high quality?

    $600-$700 would get you a very nice hardtail, A Marin Bobcat Trail is about $600 and has a great build. It would difficult to find a good Full Suspension bike for under $1500...I'd hesitate to take a cheap FS on the kinds of trails that full sussers were designed for.

    Cablestein said:

    3 - How common are regular MTB's (not the extreme kind) that are single speed, with suspension? I love singlespeed, I'd to keep up with that. It would save on cost too. But as far as I can tell the low-end pricepoint for anything singlespeed is always much higher than mainstream bikes, because I suppose they are for performanc-minded people?

    No problem building a Hard Tail as a SS, although a Full Suspension would be a slog as a single speed...but its been done

  3. I may soon be getting a gary fisher Rig. Single speed, front suspension, and for the extra mile, 29' wheels. These, I hear, take bumps and put them in their place (behind you). You can get Rigs for pretty cheap, Less than a grand. I would research frame geometry alot too. www.Rivbike.com (Rivendell Bike Works} is adiment about proper bike fit. Good luck, TY

  4. 1 - In general, does having a bicycle with suspension greatly decrease strain on your back (muscles and/or spine) compared to a regular frame... or do issues with your back still exist even with a suspension bike (maybe because of bad posture)?

    [font=Comic Sans MS]Answering from personal experience,[/font]
    [font=Comic Sans MS]Full susspension certainly makes my ride more comfortable and eases back strain. In fact i get backache if i don't ride.[/font]
    [font='Times New Roman'][font=Comic Sans MS]My terrain and the incline, offroad,hill climbs call for a low handle bar position, but i recon if you ride flat roads a more upright position probably will sort out some of your aches and pains, you are going to loose some speed though.[/font][/font]
    [font=Comic Sans MS][/font]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.