Suspension Travel Question

King Fisher

Sep 11, 2004
Hey peoples,

does anyone know of a bike that is designed with more than 7 to 10 mm of suspension sag in mind? say like maybe 40mm or more? My Yamaha 250 has tons of negative travel and stays stuck to the ground really good (unless I don't want it to;)) Maybe I'd have to come up with the design myself... though I've only designed hardtails b4:D.

thanks

King Fisher

Your gas powered dirt bike puts out 45'ish horse power at 7200'ish RPM and weighs 225lbs. Your moutain bike puts out 1 person power at 72'ish RPM and weighs 27lbs. What works for one does not necessarily work for the other.

Suspension efficiency is not as important on your dirt bike, as you have more power transfer from the engine to the rear wheel then you will probably ever need anyhow. If your rear suspension is sucking some of the power away, it is easy to crank the throttle another 1/8th of a turn.

Suspension efficiency is the name of the game on a mountain bike. It would be a snap to design a frame design that gave the rider 40mm of sag, but the real challange would be to ensure the pedal power is being transferred to the rear wheel efficiently, you are not introducing brake dive, or brake activated suspension lock out and not constantly changing the distance from the saddle to the pedal.

Cheers,
Juba