suspension vs rigid frame?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jesse Nowells, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

    Tags:

  2. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Jesse Nowells wrote:

    > Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

    HT's are lighter, generally stronger, don't have bits that wear out, have less bits that are liable
    to break, are cheaper, have better acceleration, better handling, are stiffer, aren't likely to
    suffer blown seals and require a decent level of skill to ride them well.

    Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.

    "Go on! Poke 'em harder!" 8^b

  4. S.G.

    S.G. Guest

    > Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

    Pro and con, really. I;ve ridden HT up until a 2 months ago...the FS just seems more forgiving.
    easier on the body and maybe a little faster (Giant NRS). i still ride my HT more, however, cause i
    am worried i may break something on my fs!! go figure.

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity Jesse Nowells scribbled:

    > Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

    Sus frames are springy and boingy and comfortable. Rigid frames are often springy and boingy but
    mostly not quite as comfortable .. ;)

    State of the art depends what you wanna do .. Downhill, cross-country, mixture, ride around town,
    pose ... Fit for purpose is much the same. How could anyone suggest particular frames or bikes
    without knowing the purpose to which said bike would be put to ?

    --

    Completed 1519 Seti work units in 11342 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  6. x

    x Guest

    RE/

    >Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

    I'd say it's Full Sus vs Hard Tail vs Rigid.

    Rigid, being without sus forks, Hard Tail being with same.

    I wouldn't even *think* of going fully-rigid...it's just too jarring....but others would say that's
    a technique issue.

    Full Sus vs Hard Tail probably depends on the kind of riding you do and how amenable you are to a
    sys seatpost or sprung saddle.

    I've been riding full sus for a few years now and for awhile was swearing I'd never go back. Now,
    I've just comissioned a hard tail frame that I'll use with 3" sus forks and a ThudBuster sus
    seatpost. Time will tell.....
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  7. > Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.

    I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.

    > "Go on! Poke 'em harder!" 8^b

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:
    >>Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.
    >

    > I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.

    Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who like
    to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are scared of
    having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of technology and the
    future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that cars are magic".

    By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180 nosepick
    on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.

  9. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

  10. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

    Depends where u ride. For agressive riding on technical trails the latest FS surpass the HT by far.
    But there are drawbacks. Foremost to get them light is really expensive. They also demand more
    maintenance, and good (and expensive !!!) tools like vices.

    Took out our road bikes the other day, after riding FS in the woods all winter, and with 7.5 bar in
    the tires and no suspension it felt like if I had flats on both wheels.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > >>Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.
    > >

    > > I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.
    >
    > Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who
    > like to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are
    > scared of having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of
    > technology and the future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that cars
    > are magic".

    Don't be stupid.

    > By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180 nosepick
    > on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.

    Shaun aRe

  12. On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > RE/
    > >

    > >Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?
    > >

    > I'd say it's Full Sus vs Hard Tail vs Rigid.
    >
    > Rigid, being without sus forks, Hard Tail being with same.
    >

    > I wouldn't even *think* of going fully-rigid...it's just too jarring....but others would say
    > that's a technique issue.
    >
    > Full Sus vs Hard Tail probably depends on the kind of riding you do and how amenable you are to a
    > sys seatpost or sprung saddle.
    >
    > I've been riding full sus for a few years now and for awhile was swearing I'd never go back. Now,
    > I've just comissioned a hard tail frame that I'll use with 3" sus forks and a ThudBuster sus
    > seatpost. Time will tell.....
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    What is hard tail?

  13. On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:35:55 +0000, Jesse Nowells did issue forth:

    > What is hard tail?

    Rigid frame, front suspension, as opposed to rigid which implies rigid forks as well as frame.

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Jesse Nowells <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >
    > > RE/
    > > >

    > > >Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?
    > > >

    > > I'd say it's Full Sus vs Hard Tail vs Rigid.
    > >
    > > Rigid, being without sus forks, Hard Tail being with same.
    > >

    > > I wouldn't even *think* of going fully-rigid...it's just too
    jarring....but
    > > others would say that's a technique issue.
    > >
    > > Full Sus vs Hard Tail probably depends on the kind of riding you do and
    how
    > > amenable you are to a sys seatpost or sprung saddle.
    > >
    > > I've been riding full sus for a few years now and for awhile was
    swearing I'd
    > > never go back. Now, I've just comissioned a hard tail frame that I'll
    use with
    > > 3" sus forks and a ThudBuster sus seatpost. Time will tell.....
    > > -----------------------
    > > PeteCresswell
    > >
    > What is hard tail?

    Very firm buttocks.

    Shaun aRe

  15. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>>I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.
    >>
    >>Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who
    >>like to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are
    >>scared of having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of
    >>technology and the future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that cars
    >>are magic".
    >

    > Don't be stupid.

    Why not? Do you own the monopoly? :p

    >>By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180 nosepick
    >>on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.

    Sounds that way, but after trying lots of other techniques it was simply the easiest.

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > >>Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who
    > >>like to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are
    > >>scared of having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of
    > >>technology and the future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that
    > >>cars are magic".
    > >

    > > Don't be stupid.
    >
    > Why not? Do you own the monopoly? :p

    No, but I know a man that does.........

    > >>By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180
    > >>nosepick on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.
    > >

    > Sounds that way, but after trying lots of other techniques it was simply the easiest.

    Heh - exactly.

    Shaun aRe

  17. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >>Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who
    > >>like to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are
    > >>scared of having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of
    > >>technology and the future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that
    > >>cars are magic".

    My news server decided not to show the previous posts, so I guess I've missed the chance to
    argue that one.

    > > Don't be stupid.
    >
    > Why not? Do you own the monopoly? :p
    >
    > >>By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180
    > >>nosepick on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.

    And people say that sh*t like that has no real application on the trails! You did throw in the
    barspin though right? Did you ever measure the gap?

    I thought you were the f*cking show off Rimmer - "We made mad passionate love afterwards, which
    highly entertained the rest of the party"

    > Sounds that way, but after trying lots of other techniques it was simply the easiest.

    Yeah well, probably a piece 'o p*ss with your feet stuck to the pedals, now if you'd have been
    riding flats I'd have been impressed :p

    Steve E

  18. "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.
    >
    > I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.
    >
    > > "Go on! Poke 'em harder!" 8^b

    Maybe he means people how use pneumatic rubber tires. What a fad. :)
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  19. Jd

    Jd Guest

  20. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:

    > My news server decided not to show the previous posts, so I guess I've missed the chance to argue
    > that one.

    Not that you would have been able to match my superior powers of logic!

    > And people say that sh*t like that has no real application on the trails! You did throw in the
    > barspin though right?

    Of course. And a crank flip...

    > Did you ever measure the gap?

    Not properly. I'd guess at somewhere around 13-14 foot, but I'll try and remember to take a piece of
    string with me next time.

    >>Sounds that way, but after trying lots of other techniques it was simply the easiest.
    >

    > Yeah well, probably a piece 'o p*ss with your feet stuck to the pedals, now if you'd have been
    > riding flats I'd have been impressed :p

    You know how I like to make things easy for myself. To make it really difficult I'm going to chuck
    on flat pedals and lower the seat ;)

    Actually, that's probably a lie. I rode the trail tonight and someone had moved the log. It's kind
    of difficult to call them barney's because it wasn't there originally - I'm sure a dog walker
    probably put it there to hinder bikes. I'm thinking of putting it back ;)