suspension vs rigid frame?

Jesse Nowells

Guest
Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

Jesse Nowells wrote:

> Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

HT's are lighter, generally stronger, don't have bits that wear out, have less bits that are liable
to break, are cheaper, have better acceleration, better handling, are stiffer, aren't likely to
suffer blown seals and require a decent level of skill to ride them well.

Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.

"Go on! Poke 'em harder!" 8^b

> Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

Pro and con, really. I;ve ridden HT up until a 2 months ago...the FS just seems more forgiving.
easier on the body and maybe a little faster (Giant NRS). i still ride my HT more, however, cause i
am worried i may break something on my fs!! go figure.

In a brief moment of lucidity Jesse Nowells scribbled:

> Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

Sus frames are springy and boingy and comfortable. Rigid frames are often springy and boingy but
mostly not quite as comfortable .. ;)

State of the art depends what you wanna do .. Downhill, cross-country, mixture, ride around town,
pose ... Fit for purpose is much the same. How could anyone suggest particular frames or bikes
without knowing the purpose to which said bike would be put to ?

--

Completed 1519 Seti work units in 11342 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

RE/

>Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

I'd say it's Full Sus vs Hard Tail vs Rigid.

Rigid, being without sus forks, Hard Tail being with same.

I wouldn't even *think* of going fully-rigid...it's just too jarring....but others would say that's
a technique issue.

Full Sus vs Hard Tail probably depends on the kind of riding you do and how amenable you are to a
sys seatpost or sprung saddle.

I've been riding full sus for a few years now and for awhile was swearing I'd never go back. Now,
I've just comissioned a hard tail frame that I'll use with 3" sus forks and a ThudBuster sus
seatpost. Time will tell.....
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

> Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.

I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.

spademan o---[) * wrote:
>>Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.
>

> I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.

Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who like
to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are scared of
having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of technology and the
future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that cars are magic".

By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180 nosepick
on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.

> Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

Depends where u ride. For agressive riding on technical trails the latest FS surpass the HT by far.
But there are drawbacks. Foremost to get them light is really expensive. They also demand more
maintenance, and good (and expensive !!!) tools like vices.

Took out our road bikes the other day, after riding FS in the woods all winter, and with 7.5 bar in
the tires and no suspension it felt like if I had flats on both wheels.

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

> spademan o---[) * wrote:
> >>Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.
> >

> > I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.
>
> Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who
> like to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are
> scared of having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of
> technology and the future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that cars
> are magic".

Don't be stupid.

> By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180 nosepick
> on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.

Shaun aRe

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> RE/
> >

> >Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?
> >

> I'd say it's Full Sus vs Hard Tail vs Rigid.
>
> Rigid, being without sus forks, Hard Tail being with same.
>

> I wouldn't even *think* of going fully-rigid...it's just too jarring....but others would say
> that's a technique issue.
>
> Full Sus vs Hard Tail probably depends on the kind of riding you do and how amenable you are to a
> sys seatpost or sprung saddle.
>
> I've been riding full sus for a few years now and for awhile was swearing I'd never go back. Now,
> I've just comissioned a hard tail frame that I'll use with 3" sus forks and a ThudBuster sus
> seatpost. Time will tell.....
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

What is hard tail?

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:35:55 +0000, Jesse Nowells did issue forth:

> What is hard tail?

Rigid frame, front suspension, as opposed to rigid which implies rigid forks as well as frame.

Jesse Nowells <[email protected]> wrote in message

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
>
> > RE/
> > >

> > >Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?
> > >

> > I'd say it's Full Sus vs Hard Tail vs Rigid.
> >
> > Rigid, being without sus forks, Hard Tail being with same.
> >

> > I wouldn't even *think* of going fully-rigid...it's just too
jarring....but
> > others would say that's a technique issue.
> >
> > Full Sus vs Hard Tail probably depends on the kind of riding you do and
how
> > amenable you are to a sys seatpost or sprung saddle.
> >
> > I've been riding full sus for a few years now and for awhile was
swearing I'd
> > never go back. Now, I've just comissioned a hard tail frame that I'll
use with
> > 3" sus forks and a ThudBuster sus seatpost. Time will tell.....
> > -----------------------
> > PeteCresswell
> >
> What is hard tail?

Very firm buttocks.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>>I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.
>>
>>Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who
>>like to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are
>>scared of having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of
>>technology and the future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that cars
>>are magic".
>

> Don't be stupid.

Why not? Do you own the monopoly? :p

>>By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180 nosepick
>>on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.

Sounds that way, but after trying lots of other techniques it was simply the easiest.

> >>Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who
> >>like to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are
> >>scared of having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of
> >>technology and the future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that
> >>cars are magic".
> >

> > Don't be stupid.
>
> Why not? Do you own the monopoly? :p

No, but I know a man that does.........

> >>By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180
> >>nosepick on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.
> >

> Sounds that way, but after trying lots of other techniques it was simply the easiest.

Heh - exactly.

Shaun aRe

> >>Gosh no. If one was referring to pedals it would have read: "Platform pedals are for people who
> >>like to make life difficult for themselves, don't like having good efficiency transfer and are
> >>scared of having their feet attached to the pedals. These people are also usually scared of
> >>technology and the future, and as such, probably don't believe in electricity and think that
> >>cars are magic".

My news server decided not to show the previous posts, so I guess I've missed the chance to
argue that one.

> > Don't be stupid.
>
> Why not? Do you own the monopoly? :p
>
> >>By the way, I cleared that log. 360 nosepick worked oddly enough. Well, not exactly - 180
> >>nosepick on the log to rear wheel 180 pivot out (rock walk stylee), and up the bank.

And people say that sh*t like that has no real application on the trails! You did throw in the
barspin though right? Did you ever measure the gap?

I thought you were the f*cking show off Rimmer - "We made mad passionate love afterwards, which
highly entertained the rest of the party"

> Sounds that way, but after trying lots of other techniques it was simply the easiest.

Yeah well, probably a piece 'o p*ss with your feet stuck to the pedals, now if you'd have been
riding flats I'd have been impressed :p

Steve E

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Rear suspension is for lazy people who don't have the talent to ride a proper bike.
>
> I think you're confused, you seem to be talking about clipless pedals.
>
> > "Go on! Poke 'em harder!" 8^b

Maybe he means people how use pneumatic rubber tires. What a fad. :)
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

> Pro/Con? Either/or? What's the state of the art--- in both?

Steel hardtails.

JD

spademan o---[) * wrote:

> My news server decided not to show the previous posts, so I guess I've missed the chance to argue
> that one.

Not that you would have been able to match my superior powers of logic!

> And people say that sh*t like that has no real application on the trails! You did throw in the
> barspin though right?

Of course. And a crank flip...

> Did you ever measure the gap?

Not properly. I'd guess at somewhere around 13-14 foot, but I'll try and remember to take a piece of
string with me next time.

>>Sounds that way, but after trying lots of other techniques it was simply the easiest.
>

> Yeah well, probably a piece 'o p*ss with your feet stuck to the pedals, now if you'd have been
> riding flats I'd have been impressed :p

You know how I like to make things easy for myself. To make it really difficult I'm going to chuck
on flat pedals and lower the seat ;)

Actually, that's probably a lie. I rode the trail tonight and someone had moved the log. It's kind
of difficult to call them barney's because it wasn't there originally - I'm sure a dog walker
probably put it there to hinder bikes. I'm thinking of putting it back ;)