Sussex slab-hurler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael MacClancy wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes
> >The joke is now old, long running and part of the fabric of this NG.
>
> The joke is now old, threadbare and deserves to be put in a skip, IMO. Why don't the 'regulars'
> all calm down? Just because someone suggests that they no longer appreciate the joke it doesn't
> mean that they're attacking the people who profess that they do. Appreciation of jokes about
> bibshorts and slabs isn't a precondition for contributing to this NG, is it? Tolerance needs to
> extend to the right of people to say that they find these jokes tedious as well as to the right of
> people to make them.

I'm afraid wafflycat or whatever she calls herself does seem to take things overly seriously (IMO of
course). I'm apparently K'd for daring to mistakenly misinterprete her views on helmet wearing, but
i couldn't give a t*ss as I consider KFs to be childish and for use by the insecure.

Meanwhile I agree with you on the bibshort 'joke', I too find it tiresome but as helen has said it
*can* be ignored.

Such is the life of usenet.

John B

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >can you remind me what colour that is?
> >
>
> A tasteful shade of green-blue as per Bianchi

So Jan is your alter ego?

(did you, like him, wear bright pink in a previous incarnation?)

cheers, clive

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:00:34 +0100, John B <[email protected]> in
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Meanwhile I agree with you on the bibshort 'joke', I too find it tiresome but as helen has said it
>*can* be ignored.

Can I interest you in a camper van?

--
Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
the @ sign

Richard Bates wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:00:34 +0100, John B <[email protected]> in
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Meanwhile I agree with you on the bibshort 'joke', I too find it tiresome but as helen has said
> >it *can* be ignored.
>
> Can I interest you in a camper van?

LOL

John B

> >
> >Your fairy is only a straw man.
>
> No, she's a woman ;-)

Can't be, "straw man" is genderless.

> >Thanks Helen, but I've been here since 1986. I remember when you arrived in URC.
>
> Oh, and that obviously makes your view more important than mine ;-)

Your posts in response to mine seem to consist exclusively of attempts to attribute to me statements
that I have not made. It would be difficult to produce evidence that I have stated your views to be
less important than mine. in fact, my line quoted above was in response to your "Welcome to Usenet",
which you chopped from the reply.

Comparing your views with mine would make for a more interesting discussion, especially in the area
of cycling.
--
Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net "I wonder why so many Finnish traditions are
related with booze?"
- Juha Sakkinen

> >> No, she's a woman ;-)
> >
> >Can't be, "straw man" is genderless.
> and snippity...

...so as not to answer the questions?

> Yawn... there's that sense of humour amputation again.

I'd be curious to know why everyone is expected to share your sense of humour.

> *plonk*

Of course, that makes the above question entirely rhetorical :)
--
Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net "I wonder why so many Finnish traditions are
related with booze?"
- Juha Sakkinen

Danny Colyer wrote:

> John B wrote:
> > I regularly visit Norwich and have survived so far ;-)
>
> Interesting. Being KF'd must allow you to pass beneath the PSF's radar. I must remember that if I
> ever cycle in Norfolk.

I sense its time for all intending to visit Norfolk to wind up wafflecat ;-)

John B

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:06:20 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>It's all in here: <http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/uk-rec-cycling>

I like the picture of the lady at
http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/images/bib.jpg/$file/bib.jpg. In Edinburgh schools that
would no doubt be classified as bondage gear.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

"Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>
> Yes. Or they can ask the question here, in the hope that someone will provide them with an answer.
>
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=20021209142932.07364.00006176%4-
0mb-ml.aol.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dpaving%2Bslab%2Bfairy%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%-
3DUTF-8%26selm%3D20021209142932.07364.00006176%2540mb-ml.aol.com%26rnum%3D2

Well allow me to Google for you. The above was the start of a Christmas story. Though the PSF had
been in common circulation before this I think this exchange cemented several key elements of the
fairytale into place.

For the real origin you will need to go back much further -- to a proposed method of testing the
efficacy of h*lm*ts -- in particular to have a fair and repeatable test (or the difficulty in
providing such due to the 'destructive' nature of the test). At that time Helen -- a known pro
h*lm*t advocate -- suggested comparing being hit round the h*lm*tted and unh*lm*ted head with a
paving slab.

Bibshorts made a separate entry into the debate. Quite how the two threads became intertwined
escapes me.

Newcomers are, understandably confused. Some ask and receive cryptic and unhelpful replies. Others
accept it as part of the fabric.

Few consider it as a call to arms or a politically incorrect advocacy for violence. It is harmless
fun -- in much the same way as a Tom & Jerry cartoon is harmless fun. But then zealots have been
arguing that they should be banned since time immoral.

T

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In message <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes
> >The joke is now old, long running and part of the fabric of this NG.
>
> The joke is now old, threadbare and deserves to be put in a skip, IMO. Why don't the 'regulars'
> all calm down? Just because someone suggests that they no longer appreciate the joke it doesn't
> mean that they're attacking the people who profess that they do. Appreciation of jokes about
> bibshorts and slabs isn't a precondition for contributing to this NG, is it? Tolerance needs to
> extend to the right of people to say that they find these jokes tedious as well as to the right of
> people to make them.

None of us have any control over what is posted here -- apart, of course, from our own
contributions.

Much is tedious, flippant and irrelevant.

However, I for one, have learnt much from the people who contribute regularly -- and have tried to
pass on some 'wisdom' myself. In particular, I have learnt much about bike maintenance, cycling
techniques, safety issues
(e.g. cycle paths & helmets) etc.

I have also found much to entertain -- including regular 'conversations' with 'friends' who I may
never meet IRL. As with any group of friends there is a 'folklore'. PSF is part of my folklore of
this group of friends.

Occasionally I meet up with a small team of people I worked with 25 years ago -- typically once
every 3 to 5 years. The folklore of that group is still strong and helps keep us in contact with
each other.

As always, sample, take what is interesting, entertaining or useful and neglect the rest.

T

PS. I feel enough has now been said so will not be contribution further to this thread.

Tony W wrote:

> But then zealots have been arguing that they should be banned since time immoral.

Time immoral, eh? I'll have some of /that/ ;-)

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

[email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>>Can't be, "straw man" is genderless.

then

> and snippity...

Well it would certainly be genderless after that snip!

Anyway, the two of you back in your corners and stop winding each other up! Anyone who thinks
threats of having a paving slab thrown at them have even an element of truth in them needs their
bumps felt. Helen must be a hell of a lot bigger than she lets on if she can lift a normal slab to
shoulder height, let alone throw it! :)

People who are so offended with pretend threats of violence must find Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry etc.
to be positively shocking!

Have fun!

Graeme

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 19:48 +0100 (BST), [email protected]. (Jon Schneider) wrote:
>
> >Could somebody PLEASE explain the slab and bib-short things.
>
> It's all in here: <http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/uk-rec-cycling> but
> hurry because I'm due an outage of about a week while my ADSL transfers to an ISP who provide
> customer service (i.e. not BT)

You know, BT isn't BTOpenworld. They are different. Apparantly

Clive George wrote:

> "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>
>>celeste
>
> can you remind me what colour that is?

Its an evil toothpaste green

Much beloved by Bianchites, 'cept for my friend who has a red one.

> cheers, clive

Adrian

oops, make that "had" a red one. I think he now has two red half bianchis

---------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44
---------------------------------------------------------------

Adrian Tritschler wrote:

> oops, make that "had" a red one. I think he now has two red half bianchis

Are either of them called Eric, perchance?

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.

Aye!.

Status
Not open for further replies.