Sustrans and the lottery

>And in any case, if you want to ride on cinder tracks, fit suitable
>tyres. Heavens, my road bikes have 20mm tyres, but I'm not religious
>about it. If they didn't work for the kind of riding I wanted to do I
>could very soon (and relatively cheaply) have 32mm tyres on.

There is a problem with NCN routes, in that if you haven't ridden any given one
before, you may well be on say, a tourer, only to find that you come to a part
that is distinctly off-road...

It's one of the reasons I think that NCN routes should be of a minimum standard
where they should be a tarmac surface, otherwise they really are masquerading
as a national cycle network and shouldn't be described as such. A person
shouldn't have to be prepared to change tyres... or only use a mountain bike...
Otherwise it's sort of like saying you are travelling along the A47 on a tarmac
section and then you come to a stop where the road continues as an off-road
track and you can't use your mini to drive along it, but should be prepared to
change to a Landrover Discovery ;-)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

> There is a problem with NCN routes, in that if you haven't ridden any
> given one before, you may well be on say, a tourer, only to find that
> you come to a part that is distinctly off-road...
>
> It's one of the reasons I think that NCN routes should be of a
> minimum standard where they should be a tarmac surface, otherwise
> they really are masquerading as a national cycle network and
> shouldn't be described as such. A person shouldn't have to be
> prepared to change tyres... or only use a mountain bike... Otherwise
> it's sort of like saying you are travelling along the A47 on a tarmac
> section and then you come to a stop where the road continues as an
> off-road track and you can't use your mini to drive along it, but
> should be prepared to change to a Landrover Discovery ;-)

Quite. I have cause to ride part of NCN 1 during the summer months - lack
of serious lighting precludes doing so after dark as I have no wish to find
myself in the Regents Canal or Lea Navigation. Some bits of this are
excellent and could be tackled on almost anything. Others parts have mud
and/or puddles containing thriving populations of lake monsters. And some
of the anti-minipikeymotorbikey gates can j-u-s-t be negotiated by my MTB
with cut-down bars and panniers on a seat-post rack (i.e. high), but
anything else would require pannier removal / heavy lifting / a team of
Sherpas.

But you don't /know/ this until you get there.

Bah!

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I have read on urc that sections of the NCN resemble parts of the Somme
> battlefield and agree that this is a pity. Sustrans should be encouraged
> to remedy this. However, the network isn't as bad as one might believe
> from a cursory glance at urc.

Unfortunately in a network designed for cyclists it's the parts that
cause problems for cyclists that get noticed by cyclists.

--
Dave...

Michael MacClancy [email protected] opined the following...
> sections of the NCN resemble parts of the Somme
> battlefield and agree that this is a pity.

Which opens up the possibility of a British answer to Paris-Roubaix! ;-)

Jon