UK and Europe · Public discussion

Sustrans Blues

Started by Just zis Guy, you know? · · Last activity · 199 posts · 2,752 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
7 June 2006
Last activity
20 June 2006
Original author
Just zis Guy, you know?
Posts
199
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,752
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 141–160 of 199
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:

    For example Einstein's famous E=mc^2 would need to become E=2mc^2 if
    you used Simon's Froogs for mass and stuck with joules for energy.

    C is a constant. You'd just use a different value for C. A constant in an
    equation only means 'we needed to fudge it a bit here to make our units
    fit'.

    C is the speed of light. You can't just choose a different value for
    the speed of light - if your unit system is inconsistent then you
    need an extra fudge factor.

    You wouldn't claim that the volume of a sphere is r^3 because the
    constants didn't matter, would you?

  2. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    wafflycat said:


    simple application of an outline bike in white pain to the surface of the
    footpath.

    Proposed for most appropriate typo of the month.

    :-D

  3. Tony Raven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm relatively happy with CTC as they are.

    Are you untroubled by their poor communication and poor membership
    processing previously mentioned on this thread?

    Quoted message said:

    They are working hard to
    ensure that I can ride safely on the best cycling network we have, the
    roads, and I don't have to wear a helmet while doing it.

    I've previously mentioned that we can't cycle on some roads open to motor
    vehicles in KL and I thought from the anti-Highway-Code-change info that
    not wearing a helmet put you in a worse legal position sometimes, so I
    don't see those as unmitigated successes.
    --
    MJR/slef

  4. "wafflycat" <w*a*ff€y€cat*@€btco*nn€ect.com>

    Quoted message said:

    [...] IMO, Sustrans promotes and
    endorses, by allowing its name to be used, sub-standard cycle farcilities,
    which promote the erroneous idea that what was a footpath yesterday is
    somehow an entirely suitable 'facility' by the simple application of an
    outline bike in white pain to the surface of the footpath.

    I acknowledge that my experience of this is different to yours. No more than
    a few metres of the NCN route 1 between Saddlebow and West Newton is simply
    paint on a footpath AFAICT. Sometimes they reopen a closed road, sometimes
    they rebuilt a path as a wider track and sometimes it's a new build.

    Some of the local routes linking to it are just paint on footpath and look
    very poor relatives. They're useful for people who aren't good with cars,
    but that's a poor substitute for the training which would give them confidence.
    Yet I'm told a great feature of CTC is the training... seems absent here.

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    It also makes life difficult for non-local cyclists as the signage of 'cycle
    routes' is often less than adequate, so unless you are a local knowing
    exactly where the farcility goes to, you can end up getting lost remarkably
    easily, or end up cycling illegally on a footpath which a second ago was a
    'shared use facility' and all of a sudden isn't any more.

    As I understand it, Sustrans routes should be checked at least monthly and any
    missing signs replaced with the rectangular temporary 'ranger' sticker signs.

    The permanent signs are the responsibility of the highways agency and you
    probably know that Norfolk CC budgets only 10k for cycle signs *and barriers*
    for the whole county for the whole year. For comparison, one cycling marketing
    campaign has a 17k budget. Oops.

    There's also no consistent approach to signing local routes by NCC, as far as
    I can tell. I know routes which have signs at either end, but not in the
    middle, and routes which have "End of Route" two miles or so before the end.
    The Sustrans routes here are obvious and the only farcility I've single out
    so far is too many signs in a couple of places, not too few.

    Quoted message said:

    On the other hand, the CTC is run by its members, for its members, and the
    members vote on who is on the board of the CTC, so the CTC is directly run
    by cyclists for cyclists.

    So why does it seem so opaque, unrepresentative and bad at communicating?

    --
    MJR/slef

  5. Ian Smith <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    That's it - IT WASN'T UNMARKED.

    I EXPLICITLY ACKNOWLEDGED THE EXISTENCE OF OTHER THINGS.

    It would be rational to claim it was unmarked if I had said "the only
    thing"... but I didn't. I acknowledged you said other stuff - if you
    hadn't said other stuff the stuff I commented on wouldn't have been
    the FIRST thing, would it?

    Go look up explicit, then compare to implicit, then consider which you did.

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    That's how usenet works - you don't repeat ad nauseum teh stuff you
    don't intend to comment on.

    And spotting typical slrn user behaviour is another part of how it works.
    --
    MJR/slef

  6. Ian Smith <[email hidden]> [...]

    Quoted message said:

    Why is what I am doing "waffle at the highways guys", when waht you
    are advocating is "ask the laocal authorities".

    I suggested you actually *do* something about them.

    Quoted message said:

    Both are talking to
    teh people responsible, yet you choose to characterise my activities
    (from a position of absolutely zero knowledge) as "wafdfle at the
    highways highways guys".

    You appear to be, in my opinion, a deeply unpleasant, smugly
    self-satisfied, ignorant, arrogant, git.

    I'm pretty pleasant and I'm not the one SHOUTING every other post
    at someone I disagree with.
    I try not to be smug, but I am happy with myself.
    If I'm ignorant, try communicating more, ranting less.
    Not sure if I'm arrogant, so I'll take your word on that.
    I'm not a git and nothing so far suggested that.

    --
    MJR/slef

  7. MJ Ray said:

    Ian Smith <[email hidden]> [...]

    Quoted message said:


    Both are talking to teh people responsible, yet you choose to
    characterise my activities (from a position of absolutely zero
    knowledge) as "waffle at the highways guys".

    You appear to be, in my opinion, a deeply unpleasant, smugly
    self-satisfied, ignorant, arrogant, git.

    I'm pretty pleasant and I'm not the one SHOUTING every other post
    at someone I disagree with.

    But you are making it pretty clear that no-one else has any opinions
    worthy of consideration.

    Quoted message said:

    I try not to be smug,

    When you talk, it's consulting or advising.
    When others talk, it's waffling.

    Quoted message said:

    If I'm ignorant, try communicating more, ranting less.

    I've tried communicating with you, but you chose to malign me as
    merely "waffling at the highways guys" despite having no idea about my
    involvement with cycling provision.

    Quoted message said:

    Not sure if I'm arrogant, so I'll take your word on that.

    See above. When not assuming that no-one else is doing anything
    useful, you apparently assume that anything anyone else is doing
    is pointless, irrelevant, or waffle.

    It's hard to imagine a more arrogant attitude.

    I increasingly think I was too kind.

    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  8. MJ Ray said:

    Tony Raven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm relatively happy with CTC as they are.

    Are you untroubled by their poor communication and poor membership
    processing previously mentioned on this thread?

    Yes I am untroubled. Been on direct debit annual family membership for
    years and it works. Not that it really matters as I can't remember the
    last time I needed the membership card and my membership is primarily my
    means of supporting their activities

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    They are working hard to
    ensure that I can ride safely on the best cycling network we have, the
    roads, and I don't have to wear a helmet while doing it.

    I've previously mentioned that we can't cycle on some roads open to motor
    vehicles in KL and I thought from the anti-Highway-Code-change info that
    not wearing a helmet put you in a worse legal position sometimes, so I
    don't see those as unmitigated successes.

    I would be interested to know the basis on which KL has been able to ban
    cycles from the public highway. As for helmets, no Court has ever found
    not wearing a helmet should change the outcome. The CTC has played a
    large role in that and making sure it stays that way - something you
    seem unaware of.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  9. MJ Ray said:


    I've previously mentioned that we can't cycle on some roads open to motor
    vehicles in KL

    Can you post details of which roads these are.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  10. in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins

    (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:

    For example Einstein's famous E=mc^2 would need to become E=2mc^2 if
    you used Simon's Froogs for mass and stuck with joules for energy.

    C is a constant. You'd just use a different value for C. A constant in
    an equation only means 'we needed to fudge it a bit here to make our
    units fit'.

    C is the speed of light. You can't just choose a different value for
    the speed of light - if your unit system is inconsistent then you
    need an extra fudge factor.

    C is the speed of light in the units used. If the units change, the value
    of the constant changes. The speed of light doesn't change, but it's a
    slightly different value in furlongs per second than in nanometres per
    year.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; part time troll.

  11. MJ Ray said:

    Tony Raven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm relatively happy with CTC as they are.

    Are you untroubled by their poor communication and poor membership
    processing previously mentioned on this thread?

    I joined earlier this year and had no problems getting my membership
    processed.

    I receive a weekly newsletter via email and a copy of the "Cycle"
    magazine each month.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    They are working hard to
    ensure that I can ride safely on the best cycling network we have, the
    roads, and I don't have to wear a helmet while doing it.

    I've previously mentioned that we can't cycle on some roads open to motor
    vehicles in KL and I thought from the anti-Highway-Code-change info that
    not wearing a helmet put you in a worse legal position sometimes, so I
    don't see those as unmitigated successes.

    Eh! where? how?

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    People must not do things for fun. We are not here for fun.
    There is no reference to fun in any Act of Parliament.

  12. Tony Raven said:
    MJ Ray said:


    I've previously mentioned that we can't cycle on some roads open to
    motor vehicles in KL

    Can you post details of which roads these are.

    There's one a touch south of Cambridge, which I believe is not too far
    from home for you? It's the new Baldock bypass, which has a short tunnel
    in its length. I don't know the legal basis for this ban, but having only
    driven through the tunnel I'd cycle through it if sufficiently desperate.
    If the heavy traffic really has been removed from Baldock I'd prefer to
    follow the old road though.

    OTOH, I'm not keen on a legal ban on any traffic on any road. It just
    encourages the idea that dual-carriageways are for 44-tonne 24-wheelers
    and cars should be banned from them, as it were....

    Mike

  13. Mike Causer said:
    Tony Raven said:
    MJ Ray said:

    I've previously mentioned that we can't cycle on some roads open to
    motor vehicles in KL


    Can you post details of which roads these are.

    There's one a touch south of Cambridge, which I believe is not too far
    from home for you?

    I know that one and am investigating its basis. But that is nowhere
    near Kings Lynn. It was references to the roads in Kings Lynn you said
    you are not allowed to cycle on that I was asking for. Which are they?

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  14. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins

    (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven
    ([email hidden]'😉 wrote:

    > For example Einstein's famous E=mc^2 would need to become E=2mc^2 if
    > you used Simon's Froogs for mass and stuck with joules for energy.
    C is a constant. You'd just use a different value for C. A constant in
    an equation only means 'we needed to fudge it a bit here to make our
    units fit'.


    C is the speed of light. You can't just choose a different value for
    the speed of light - if your unit system is inconsistent then you
    need an extra fudge factor.

    C is the speed of light in the units used. If the units change, the value
    of the constant changes. The speed of light doesn't change, but it's a
    slightly different value in furlongs per second than in nanometres per
    year.

    So what do you want to call your unit of energy measured in froogs
    furlongs squared per second squared? You can't use Joule because that's
    already taken by kg m^2/s^2. But whatever you call it E in that unit
    will equal mc^2 in those units.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  15. Simon Brooke said:


    C is the speed of light in the units used. If the units change, the value
    of the constant changes. The speed of light doesn't change, but it's a
    slightly different value in furlongs per second than in nanometres per
    year.

    I didn't think you could measure in furlongs per second. I thought it
    had to be furlongs per fortnight. It buggers up the calculations otherwise.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    "Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

  16. in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    MJ Ray said:


    I've previously mentioned that we can't cycle on some roads open to
    motor vehicles in KL

    Can you post details of which roads these are.

    You can't cycle on the motorway from KLIA into Putrajaya. But this is a
    UK group, why are we discussing Kuala Lumpur?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
    ... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
    [update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]

  17. in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins

    (') said:

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven
    > ([email hidden]'😉 wrote:
    >
    >> For example Einstein's famous E=mc^2 would need to become E=2mc^2
    >> if you used Simon's Froogs for mass and stuck with joules for
    >> energy.
    > C is a constant. You'd just use a different value for C. A constant
    > in an equation only means 'we needed to fudge it a bit here to make
    > our units fit'.
    C is the speed of light. You can't just choose a different value for
    the speed of light - if your unit system is inconsistent then you
    need an extra fudge factor.

    C is the speed of light in the units used. If the units change, the
    value of the constant changes. The speed of light doesn't change, but
    it's a slightly different value in furlongs per second than in
    nanometres per year.

    So what do you want to call your unit of energy measured in froogs
    furlongs squared per second squared? You can't use Joule because
    that's
    already taken by kg m^2/s^2. But whatever you call it E in that unit
    will equal mc^2 in those units.

    Time I put that spade back in the shed, methinks.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    [ This mind intentionally left blank ]

  18. Simon Brooke said:


    Time I put that spade back in the shed, methinks.

    :-)

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  19. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    MJ Ray said:

    I've previously mentioned that we can't cycle on some roads open to
    motor vehicles in KL


    Can you post details of which roads these are.

    You can't cycle on the motorway from KLIA into Putrajaya. But this is a
    UK group, why are we discussing Kuala Lumpur?

    You are forgetting there is a country called England attached to the
    south of your God forsaken country and it has a place called Kings Lynn,
    famous for not having the tallest building in the world. And where I
    suspect all the roads are rideable and MJ is making it up, there being
    no motorways near Kings Lynn.

    Quite why Sustrans supporters should feel the need to invent reasons to
    have to have their routes is beyond me.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  20. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    MJ Ray said:


    I've previously mentioned that we can't cycle on some roads open to
    motor vehicles in KL

    Can you post details of which roads these are.

    You can't cycle on the motorway from KLIA into Putrajaya. But this is a
    UK group, why are we discussing Kuala Lumpur?

    I worked on the construction of a motorway into KL (but from Ampang,
    which I think is the oppositte direction, though my geographic grasp
    of the area is sketchy).

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.