SUV skit on PHC

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Comutrbob, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Comutrbob

    Comutrbob Guest

    Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?

    In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can recall)

    SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks ready to go
    offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all we need to do is call 'em up on their
    cell phones.

    What a hoot!

    Bob C.

    Tags:

  2. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    ComutrBob wrote:
    > Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
    <snip>

    A tangible PHC/cycling connection: in the November issue of *That Magazine* is a squib about a
    pair of $70 pants. Headline: "Leg Woe, Be Gone."

    --Karen M. It's a new LAW/B membership perk; wouldn't glance at it otherwise

    > Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
    >
    > In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can recall)
    >
    > SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks ready to go
    > offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all we need to do is call 'em up on their
    > cell phones.
    >
    > What a hoot!
    >
    > Bob C.

    That probably wasn't a parody, that was CNN.
    --
    _________________________

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    [email protected] (ComutrBob) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
    >
    > In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can recall)
    >
    > SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks ready to go
    > offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all we need to do is call 'em up on their
    > cell phones.
    >
    > What a hoot!

    Do you think that PHC would do a skit about how not a single dairy farm or corn field would pass the
    clean air act standards for particulate matter? Nah, it would reflect badly on the inhabitants of
    Lake Woobegone who are supposed to be more caring and sensitive of the environment. Lord knows we
    wouldn't want to bring the intellgence of the EPA into question.

  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (ComutrBob) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
    > >
    > > In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can
    recall)

    > > SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of
    thousands of
    > > folks ready to go offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all
    we need
    > > to do is call 'em up on their cell phones.
    > >
    > > What a hoot!
    >
    > Do you think that PHC would do a skit about how not a single dairy farm or corn field would pass
    > the clean air act standards for particulate matter? Nah, it would reflect badly on the inhabitants
    > of Lake Woobegone who are supposed to be more caring and sensitive of the environment. Lord knows
    > we wouldn't want to bring the intellgence of the EPA into question.

    Farm land is nice, but don't forget the desert cities in AZ. The EPA has been complaining about
    elevated levels of a certain particulate matter in Phoenix and Tucson for some time. Yes, that's
    right folks--the EPA has been harrassing these cities because the sonoran *desert* is too dusty when
    the wind blows...

  6. Jake Khuon

    Jake Khuon Guest

    ### On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:38:16 GMT, [email protected] (ComutrBob) [C] casually decided to expound
    ### upon rec.bicycles.misc the following thoughts about SUV skit on PHC:

    C> Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
    C>
    C> In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can recall)
    C>
    C> SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks ready to go
    C> offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all we need to do is call 'em up on their cell
    C> phones.
    C>
    C> What a hoot!

    If only that were true. Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of folks who never go offroad with
    their SUVs and rarely respond to their cellphones in times of real emergencies.

    We've been having bad storms here in Seattle. My wife and I were driving one night along a fairly
    well travelled two-lane highway when we spotted a car rolled on its side down in a ditch with its
    emergencies on and a man standing beside it out in the pouring rain. Despite the heavy amount of SUV
    traffic on the road, not one person even slowed down to see if someone needed help much less pull
    over to lend a hand.

    Since there was no barely a shoulder to pull over onto, I "departed pavement" and crossed over to
    the other side of the ditch. I got out and asked the man if he was alright and if he needed help. My
    wife was already diving into the backseat for the emergency first-aid kit. The man had a cellphone
    in hand and said that he was okay and had already phoned someone. He thanked me, I baded him good
    luck and we left.

    I had a hard time pulling back onto the road from the ditch because no one was slowing down to let
    me in. After finally getting back on the road, I noticed that mine was the only SUV with even the
    slightest bit of dirt or offroad scratches on it. Of course that's usually the case around here
    anyways regardless of climate conditions.

    --
    /*===================[ Jake Khuon <[email protected]> ]======================+
    | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- | for Effective Bandwidth
    | Utilisation / |/ [_ [_ |) |_| N E T W O R K S |
    +=========================================================================*/

  7. > If only that were true. Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of folks who never go offroad with
    > their SUVs and rarely respond to their cellphones in times of real emergencies.
    >
    > We've been having bad storms here in Seattle. My wife and I were driving one night along a fairly
    > well travelled two-lane highway when we spotted a car rolled on its side down in a ditch with its
    > emergencies on and a man standing beside it out in the pouring rain. Despite the heavy amount of
    > SUV traffic on the road, not one person even slowed down to see if someone needed help much less
    > pull over to lend a hand.
    >
    > Since there was no barely a shoulder to pull over onto, I "departed pavement" and crossed over to
    > the other side of the ditch. I got out and asked the man if he was alright and if he needed help.
    > My wife was already diving into the backseat for the emergency first-aid kit. The man had a
    > cellphone in hand and said that he was okay and had already phoned someone. He thanked me, I baded
    > him good luck and we left.
    >
    > I had a hard time pulling back onto the road from the ditch because no one was slowing down to let
    > me in. After finally getting back on the road, I noticed that mine was the only SUV with even the
    > slightest bit of dirt or offroad scratches on it. Of course that's usually the case around here
    > anyways regardless of climate conditions.

    Lol, as long as we are off topic and telling SUV stories. The last storm we had some poor guy in a
    backhoe was driving home along side the highway at 11:00 from his last job and diped a wheel off the
    shoulder and got caught up in the snow bank with the left rear wheel in the air and no way to back
    out, forget SUV drivers, 2 TOW TRUCKs passed this guy and didn't stop. Someone in a nissan sentra
    stopped but what the hell was he going to do. I had taken my tool box with the winch control and
    chains out of my truck that morning to fit some building supplies in there so I told the guy to hang
    on and I'll run back to the house and come pull him out. Well I did that but by the time I got back,
    him and the guy with the nissan giving him directions had used the bucket to try and get free, he
    was now 4 feet below the road down in the ditch. Sorry buddy, I can't dead lift 6 tonnes with my
    winch. We called a really big expensive tow truck. The backhoe operator didn't make any money that
    night. That same night a black 4 runner went off the same road. The next morning people were saying
    to me at work that they thought they saw my truck crashed in the woods. I went to see it, it was a
    black 4runner, the same year as mine, but with bald 29" tires, rusted out bumpers, no winch or rear
    spare tire carrier, no roof racks, basically you typical claped out peice of shit. I was insulted,
    don't you people have a clue how much work I put into mine? :)
    --
    _________________________

  8. "Jake Khuon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > If only that were true. Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of folks
    who
    > never go offroad with their SUVs

    What are you talking about? Isn't there enough land destroyed and paved for motor vehicles already?
    Motor vehicles don't need to be offroad too.

  9. Jake Khuon

    Jake Khuon Guest

    ### On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 04:15:28 GMT, "one of the six billion" <[email protected]>
    ### [ootsb] casually decided to expound upon rec.bicycles.misc the following thoughts about Re: SUV
    ### skit on PHC:

    ootsb> "Jake Khuon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    ootsb>
    ootsb> > If only that were true. Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of folks who never go
    ootsb> > offroad with their SUVs
    ootsb>
    ootsb> What are you talking about? Isn't there enough land destroyed and paved for motor vehicles
    ootsb> already? Motor vehicles don't need to be offroad too.

    You seem to have missed the entire point. But hey what the hell, I'll play along... Who are you to
    dictate what vehicles go offroad? That's a fairly closed minded attitude.

    [1] There are very legitimate uses for offroad vehicles.

    [2] You presume too much when you say "Motor vehicles don't need to be offroad too." Please go
    back and rethink that statement. You might want to start by looking up the definition of the
    word "scope".

    [3] What exactly are YOU talking about?

    --
    /*===================[ Jake Khuon <[email protected]> ]======================+
    | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- | for Effective Bandwidth
    | Utilisation / |/ [_ [_ |) |_| N E T W O R K S |
    +=========================================================================*/

  10. Comutrbob

    Comutrbob Guest

    WHAT ARE ALL OF YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?

    I'm the original poster. I posted something that I thought readers would find light-hearted and
    amusing -- from a radio variety show for crying out loud.

    AND YOU #@$%! HAVE MANAGED TO GET INTO A FIGHT OVER IT.

    Get a LIFE! You'd think this was rbr or something.

    Bob C.

  11. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    ComutrBob wrote:
    > WHAT ARE ALL OF YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?
    >
    > I'm the original poster. I posted something that I thought readers would find light-hearted and
    > amusing -- from a radio variety show for crying out loud.
    >
    > AND YOU #@$%! HAVE MANAGED TO GET INTO A FIGHT OVER IT.
    >
    > Get a LIFE! You'd think this was rbr or something.

    Well, that's different. (Minnesotan for "huh?")

    --Karen M.