SUV skit on PHC

Comutrbob

Guest
Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?

In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can recall)

SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks ready to go
offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all we need to do is call 'em up on their
cell phones.

What a hoot!

Bob C.

ComutrBob wrote:
> Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
<snip>

A tangible PHC/cycling connection: in the November issue of *That Magazine* is a squib about a
pair of $70 pants. Headline: "Leg Woe, Be Gone."

--Karen M. It's a new LAW/B membership perk; wouldn't glance at it otherwise

> Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
>
> In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can recall)
>
> SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks ready to go
> offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all we need to do is call 'em up on their
> cell phones.
>
> What a hoot!
>
> Bob C.

That probably wasn't a parody, that was CNN.
--
_________________________

[email protected] (ComutrBob) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
>
> In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can recall)
>
> SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks ready to go
> offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all we need to do is call 'em up on their
> cell phones.
>
> What a hoot!

Do you think that PHC would do a skit about how not a single dairy farm or corn field would pass the
clean air act standards for particulate matter? Nah, it would reflect badly on the inhabitants of
Lake Woobegone who are supposed to be more caring and sensitive of the environment. Lord knows we
wouldn't want to bring the intellgence of the EPA into question.

Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (ComutrBob) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
> >
> > In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can
recall)

> > SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of
thousands of
> > folks ready to go offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all
we need
> > to do is call 'em up on their cell phones.
> >
> > What a hoot!
>
> Do you think that PHC would do a skit about how not a single dairy farm or corn field would pass
> the clean air act standards for particulate matter? Nah, it would reflect badly on the inhabitants
> of Lake Woobegone who are supposed to be more caring and sensitive of the environment. Lord knows
> we wouldn't want to bring the intellgence of the EPA into question.

Farm land is nice, but don't forget the desert cities in AZ. The EPA has been complaining about
elevated levels of a certain particulate matter in Phoenix and Tucson for some time. Yes, that's
right folks--the EPA has been harrassing these cities because the sonoran *desert* is too dusty when
the wind blows...

### On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:38:16 GMT, [email protected] (ComutrBob) [C] casually decided to expound
### upon rec.bicycles.misc the following thoughts about SUV skit on PHC:

C> Did anyone catch Prairie Home Companion last night?
C>
C> In a skit with a George Bush impersonator, dubyah says (as best I can recall)
C>
C> SUVs are part of homeland security. Yep, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks ready to go
C> offroad at any time to seek out evildoers ... and all we need to do is call 'em up on their cell
C> phones.
C>
C> What a hoot!

If only that were true. Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of folks who never go offroad with
their SUVs and rarely respond to their cellphones in times of real emergencies.

We've been having bad storms here in Seattle. My wife and I were driving one night along a fairly
well travelled two-lane highway when we spotted a car rolled on its side down in a ditch with its
emergencies on and a man standing beside it out in the pouring rain. Despite the heavy amount of SUV
traffic on the road, not one person even slowed down to see if someone needed help much less pull
over to lend a hand.

Since there was no barely a shoulder to pull over onto, I "departed pavement" and crossed over to
the other side of the ditch. I got out and asked the man if he was alright and if he needed help. My
wife was already diving into the backseat for the emergency first-aid kit. The man had a cellphone
in hand and said that he was okay and had already phoned someone. He thanked me, I baded him good
luck and we left.

I had a hard time pulling back onto the road from the ditch because no one was slowing down to let
me in. After finally getting back on the road, I noticed that mine was the only SUV with even the
slightest bit of dirt or offroad scratches on it. Of course that's usually the case around here
anyways regardless of climate conditions.

--
/*===================[ Jake Khuon <[email protected]> ]======================+
| Packet Plumber, Network Engineers /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- | for Effective Bandwidth
| Utilisation / |/ [_ [_ |) |_| N E T W O R K S |
+=========================================================================*/

> If only that were true. Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of folks who never go offroad with
> their SUVs and rarely respond to their cellphones in times of real emergencies.
>
> We've been having bad storms here in Seattle. My wife and I were driving one night along a fairly
> well travelled two-lane highway when we spotted a car rolled on its side down in a ditch with its
> emergencies on and a man standing beside it out in the pouring rain. Despite the heavy amount of
> SUV traffic on the road, not one person even slowed down to see if someone needed help much less
> pull over to lend a hand.
>
> Since there was no barely a shoulder to pull over onto, I "departed pavement" and crossed over to
> the other side of the ditch. I got out and asked the man if he was alright and if he needed help.
> My wife was already diving into the backseat for the emergency first-aid kit. The man had a
> cellphone in hand and said that he was okay and had already phoned someone. He thanked me, I baded
> him good luck and we left.
>
> I had a hard time pulling back onto the road from the ditch because no one was slowing down to let
> me in. After finally getting back on the road, I noticed that mine was the only SUV with even the
> slightest bit of dirt or offroad scratches on it. Of course that's usually the case around here
> anyways regardless of climate conditions.

Lol, as long as we are off topic and telling SUV stories. The last storm we had some poor guy in a
backhoe was driving home along side the highway at 11:00 from his last job and diped a wheel off the
shoulder and got caught up in the snow bank with the left rear wheel in the air and no way to back
out, forget SUV drivers, 2 TOW TRUCKs passed this guy and didn't stop. Someone in a nissan sentra
stopped but what the hell was he going to do. I had taken my tool box with the winch control and
chains out of my truck that morning to fit some building supplies in there so I told the guy to hang
on and I'll run back to the house and come pull him out. Well I did that but by the time I got back,
him and the guy with the nissan giving him directions had used the bucket to try and get free, he
was now 4 feet below the road down in the ditch. Sorry buddy, I can't dead lift 6 tonnes with my
winch. We called a really big expensive tow truck. The backhoe operator didn't make any money that
night. That same night a black 4 runner went off the same road. The next morning people were saying
to me at work that they thought they saw my truck crashed in the woods. I went to see it, it was a
black 4runner, the same year as mine, but with bald 29" tires, rusted out bumpers, no winch or rear
spare tire carrier, no roof racks, basically you typical claped out peice of ****. I was insulted,
don't you people have a clue how much work I put into mine? :)
--
_________________________

"Jake Khuon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> If only that were true. Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of folks
who
> never go offroad with their SUVs

What are you talking about? Isn't there enough land destroyed and paved for motor vehicles already?
Motor vehicles don't need to be offroad too.

### On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 04:15:28 GMT, "one of the six billion" <[email protected]>
### [ootsb] casually decided to expound upon rec.bicycles.misc the following thoughts about Re: SUV
### skit on PHC:

ootsb> "Jake Khuon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
ootsb>
ootsb> > If only that were true. Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of folks who never go
ootsb> > offroad with their SUVs
ootsb>
ootsb> What are you talking about? Isn't there enough land destroyed and paved for motor vehicles
ootsb> already? Motor vehicles don't need to be offroad too.

You seem to have missed the entire point. But hey what the hell, I'll play along... Who are you to
dictate what vehicles go offroad? That's a fairly closed minded attitude.

[1] There are very legitimate uses for offroad vehicles.

[2] You presume too much when you say "Motor vehicles don't need to be offroad too." Please go
back and rethink that statement. You might want to start by looking up the definition of the
word "scope".

[3] What exactly are YOU talking about?

--
/*===================[ Jake Khuon <[email protected]> ]======================+
| Packet Plumber, Network Engineers /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- | for Effective Bandwidth
| Utilisation / |/ [_ [_ |) |_| N E T W O R K S |
+=========================================================================*/

WHAT ARE ALL OF YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?

I'm the original poster. I posted something that I thought readers would find light-hearted and
amusing -- from a radio variety show for crying out loud.

AND YOU #@$%! HAVE MANAGED TO GET INTO A FIGHT OVER IT.

Get a LIFE! You'd think this was rbr or something.

Bob C.

ComutrBob wrote:
> WHAT ARE ALL OF YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?
>
> I'm the original poster. I posted something that I thought readers would find light-hearted and
> amusing -- from a radio variety show for crying out loud.
>
> AND YOU #@$%! HAVE MANAGED TO GET INTO A FIGHT OVER IT.
>
> Get a LIFE! You'd think this was rbr or something.

Well, that's different. (Minnesotan for "huh?")

--Karen M.