SUV's

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kiem Madvanen, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Kiem
    Madvanen) wrote:

    > http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
    >
    > Zub

    I like how this story suggests that SUVs have not caught on in Japan because of some community
    spirit, and not because gas is more expensive, large SUVs don't fit on Japan-sized roads, parking it
    would be impossible, and the general lack of interest in American-built vehicles there.

  3. Well, after having almost gotten mowed down today by not one, but TWO SUV's, I can ascertain that
    SUV owners are extremely aggressive. I have had close calls with other types of cars but nowhere
    near as close as SUV calls...

    Just my 2c.

    Daniel

    On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Danny Callen wrote:

    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Danny Callen wrote:
    > > > "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > What a bunch of total bullshit.
    > >
    > > I thought it was pretty accurate.
    > >

    > Sorry if I sound offensive but are you freakin' kidding? That kind of ignorance is hilarious!
    >
    > Danny Callen

  4. G. Cook

    G. Cook Guest

  5. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Danny Callen wrote:
    > "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
    >>
    >>Zub
    >

    > What a bunch of total bullshit.

    I thought it was pretty accurate.

    > What has this got to do with Bike Racing?

    Nothing. Are we supposed to be discussing Bike Racing or something?

    Greg

  6. Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
    personally.

    I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get killed by a car on the road
    while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by someone in an SUV.

    Adam

    in article [email protected], Danny Callen at [email protected] wrote on
    1/8/03 5:18 PM:

    > "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
    >>
    >> Zub
    >
    > What a bunch of total bullshit. What has this got to do with Bike Racing?
    >
    > Danny Callen

  7. Dan Spisak

    Dan Spisak Guest

  8. G. Cook

    G. Cook Guest

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
    >
    > What a bunch of total bullshit. What has this got to do with Bike Racing?

    I don't know what it's like out where you are but in California that article is dead square on. Oh,
    sure, there are still the few people that buy an SUV because they have a legitimate need for the
    things but SUV sales are 100 times those uses.

    The Cadillac Escalades and Lincoln Navigators are the SUV's most likely to be seen in the commuter
    lane with one person inside and driving above 80 mph. Often you can see them swerving from lane to
    lane to get one more car length ahead. You'll see them squeeze in between two cars rather than wait
    30 seconds for a clearing to move up. Assholes on a scale that should be jailed, but the California
    Highway Patrol has relinquished the freeways to anarchy.

    This would be bad enough but the driving of people like that brings out the animal in almost
    everyone else as well. A couple of months ago a propane tanker passed me. I was in the fast lane and
    he was in the commuter lane to the left. I was doing above the speed limit and the truck limit is 10
    mph slower than the car limit. 1/4 mile up the road the propane truck slammed on his brakes and
    screeched across 5 lanes of heavy traffic to take the exit. All traffic came to a complete stop on
    the freeway. That exit is where the Highway Patrol office is.

    And that's what people think of the law now and the SUV is the leader of the pack.

  10. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    I wonder if I drove my bike into the eave of the garage on the top of a SUV it would be worse or
    better? I might be able to compete in some specific cycling worlds event under a classification with
    only me in it and become world champ...??? class- masters- suv driving - disabled - world
    champion....

    sounds good

  11. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

  12. Weren't you driving a KIA imitation SUV? :)

    Brian

    --
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.--Voltaire Together We Can End Violence,
    Exploitation and War Visit UU PeaceWork, AFSC and True Majority
    "Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BA4225D5.1083%[email protected]...
    > Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
    > personally.
    >
    > I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get
    killed
    > by a car on the road while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by
    > someone in an SUV.
    >
    > Adam
    >
    > in article [email protected], Danny Callen at [email protected] wrote on
    > 1/8/03 5:18 PM:
    >

    > > "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
    > >>
    > >> Zub
    > >
    > > What a bunch of total bullshit. What has this got to do with Bike
    Racing?

    > > Danny Callen

  13. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BA4225D5.1083%[email protected]...
    > Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
    > personally.
    >
    > I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get
    killed
    > by a car on the road while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by
    > someone in an SUV.
    >
    > Adam

    Ney ney.. i got rid of the "behemoth" when I didn't need it anymore. I still drive an SUV but it
    gets 25 MPG. It's just idiotic to stereotype any particular type of driver to a certain type of
    vehicle. That's like saying all bike riders are skinny wimpy fags. Come on Adam, I know you're more
    intelligent than that. If the article was about how all Chinese are bad drivers or all blacks drive
    Toyota's you'd all be up in arms. I don't go for stereo- typing.

    BTW, I don't take it personally whatsoever. I drive aggressively no matter what damn
    vehicle I'm in!!!

    Danny Callen

  14. Loverboyd

    Loverboyd Guest

    > I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get killed by a car on the road
    > while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by someone in an SUV.
    >
    > Adam

    I'm usually more worried about the '76 rusted pickups with the gunracks hanging in the back window

  15. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Adam Hodges Myerson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<BA4225D5.1083%[email protected]>...

    > I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get killed by a car on the road
    > while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by someone in an SUV.

    Adam, you're completely safe cause only the good die young.

  16. McCoughan

    McCoughan Guest

    wow, good thing that writer isnt too biased..

    As a former SUV owner, I can saw I've reformed and now drive a car (WRX)- now, when I drive over
    things, its relatively easy to tell what/who they are~

    an interesting factoid related to this article: I heard to that for 2002 tax purposes, there is a
    "large SUV" loophole which states that if you bought a large SUV last year, you'd be able to write
    off the entire purchase because the vehicle can be used for work-related driving. my friend had read
    an article about why several politicians were now buyuing large SUVs- this could be part of the
    reason why sales of very large SUVs had increased...

    I heard it through the grapevine, but it was from a relatively reliable source.

    Sean

  17. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Danny Callen wrote:
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Danny Callen wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]...

    >>>What a bunch of total bullshit.
    >>
    >>I thought it was pretty accurate.
    >>

    > Sorry if I sound offensive but are you freakin' kidding?

    I thought it was pretty accurate.

    > That kind of ignorance is hilarious!

    Then start pointing out all the "ignorance".

    "They tend to like fine restaurants a lot more than off-road driving."

    "Bradsher quotes a former Ford market researcher who says the SUV craze is 'about not letting
    anything get in your way, and at the extreme, about intimidating others to get out of your way.'"

    "baby boomers have embraced the four-wheel-drive SUV as a symbol of their ability to defy the
    conventions of old age, of their independence and 'outdoorsiness,'".

    "The occupant death rate in SUVs is 6 percent higher than it is for cars – 8 percent higher in the
    largest SUVs. The main reason is that SUVs carry a high risk of rollover; 62 percent of SUV deaths
    in 2000 occurred in rollover accidents."

    "Government researchers have found that a behemoth like the four-ton Chevy Tahoe kills 122 people
    for every 1 million models on the road; by comparison, the Honda Accord only kills 21."

    "But if soccer moms and office-park dads really need to ferry a lot of people around, they could
    simply get a large car or a minivan."

    Sounds accurate to me. Your name is really Danielle and you own a Navigator to take your kids to
    soccer practice, huh?

    Greg

  18. Yeah, but Allison's mom bought it for her when she was in college, _and_ it still got 25 mpg. Before
    we met, so I take no blame.

    It died at 106,000 miles. Overheated, blown engine. We just got a Toyota Echo, so now I can be
    really self-righteous. (I do still have the '84 diesel Merc.)

    Danny has some huge boat of an SUV, but I can't remember what it is.

    Adam

    in article [email protected], Brian Lafferty at