SUV's

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Top
Sirloin) wrote:

Now I want a
> Roadmaster sized Subaru Legacy.

Hey,

We had a Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon that flat rocked. Fun to drive, long enough to sleep in on
road trips, great gas mileage.

One winter, back in '97, when we were living halfway up a hillside seven miles from bad pavement, we
got four feet of snow all at once. I said, "Let's sell this sumbitch, it'll never climb this hill
with winters like this." So we did, and I bought an '83 Toyota 4WD for cash.

It never snowed worth a tinker's damn after that, and I miss that car every time I put a fresh crack
in my pelvis rolling over a speed bump, stop at a gas station, try to listen to the radio at highway
speed, or downnshift to third on a 6 percent climb.

But you sure couldn't get much firewood in the Subaru.

Cheers,

Patrick O'Grady Mad Dog Media http://www.maddogmedia.com

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Mike
Reed) wrote:

> Nope, starting in June, the US (!) gets the best WRXs. 2.5L, 300 hp, 300 lb/ft, and it looks like
> the WRC, save the dual cowled hood.
>
> Click on "STI" at http://impreza.subaru.com

> They just need to tweak that torque figure up to 500 or so to match the WRC :)
>
> -60 in the low 3s would be pretty nice.
>
> I'm thinking this STI will break the 5 second barrier anyway. Who knows what will happen when you
> chip it...

> It amazes me that anyone buys domestic cars.

http://www.dodge.com/srt-4/index.html?context=homepage&type=top

It's a 215-hp Neon. Estimated price is under US$20k. It's not faster than the WRX, but it's a lot
cheaper, quite a bit lighter, and way, way crazier.

The sports car is back!

And I'm not gonna buy one,

"Mike Reed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nope, starting in June, the US (!) gets the best WRXs. 2.5L, 300 hp, 300 lb/ft, and it looks like
> the WRC, save the dual cowled hood.
>
> Click on "STI" at http://impreza.subaru.com
>
> The US will receive the fastest production WRXs ever, and Japan will still be driving around the
> 2.0L versions. Weird, but for once, the US gets the good stuff.

The WRX STi has already been on sale in Japan and Europe Dave

"Dave Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The WRX STi has already been on sale in Japan and Europe Dave

Duh.

In June, all other nations will have a 2.0 STi, where the US will have a pumped-up 2.5. That's big
news. Our STi is better than theirs. Subaru is trying to maintain momentum on the surprise success
of the WRX in the US, so they're trying to keep the EVO under wraps from the beginning.

-Mike

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Mike
> Reed) wrote:
> > It amazes me that anyone buys domestic cars.
>
> http://www.dodge.com/srt-4/index.html?context=homepage&type=top
>
> It's a 215-hp Neon. Estimated price is under US$20k. It's not faster than the WRX, but it's a lot
> cheaper, quite a bit lighter, and way, way crazier.
>
> The sports car is back!
>
> And I'm not gonna buy one,

Wow, that's actually really cool for its segment.

-Mike

> Just some more info on who I support:
>
> > >Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid
> > putting more money into
> > >
> > >the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas
> > companies that don't import
> > >
> > >their oil from the Saudis. Nothing is more
> > frustrating than the feeling
> > >
> > >that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my
> > money to people who
> > >
> > >are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I
> > thought it might be
> > >
> > >interesting for you to know which oil companies are
> > the best to buy gas
> > >
> > >from.
> > >

> > >Major companies that import Middle Eastern oil (f
> > >
> > >or the period 9/1/00 -
> > >
> > >8/31/01).
> > >
> > >Shell................ 205,742,000 barrels
> > >
> > >Chevron/Texaco....... 144,332,000 barrels
> > >
> > >Exxon /Mobil......... 130,082,000 barrels
> > >
> > >Marathon............. 117,740,000 barrels
> > >
> > >Amoco................ 62,231,000 barrels
> > >
> > >If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports
> > amount to over $18
> > >
> > >BILLION!
> > >
> > >Here are some large companies that do not import
> > Middle Eastern oil:
> > >
> > >Citgo 0 barrels
> > >
> > >Sunoco 0 barrels
> > >
> > >Conoco 0 barrels
> > >
> > >Sinclair 0 barrels
> > >
> > >BP/Phillips 0 barrels
> > >
> > >Hess 0 barrels
> > >
> > >All of this information is available from the
> > Department of Energy and
> > >
> > >can be easily documented. Refineries located in the
> > U.S. are required to
> > >
> > >state where they get their oil and how much they
> > are importing. They
> > >
> > >report on a monthly basis.
> > >
> > >Keep this list in your car; share it with friends.
> > Stop paying for
> > >
> > >terrorism.............
> > >
> > >But to have an impact.
> > >
> > >we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers.
>
> I buy my gas from Hess or BP

Me too, 'cuz it's usually cheaper. On the west coast I buy Arco, which is also cheaper, and mostly
'merican made (from Alaska).

What do you think about spending $200B on a war over your $18B worth of annual imports? Bush went to
a good B-school, so surely he should be able to come up with an amortization schedule... have we
even paid off the last one yet?

Matt O.

TritonRider wrote:

> > >Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid
> > putting more money into
> > >
> > >the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas
> > companies that don't import
>
> I buy my gas from Hess or BP

Doesn't matter where the gas comes from. Gas is a fungible commodity. If you take a gallon of it
from anywhere in the world market, the shift at some point causes someone to buy it from that source
who could otherwise have bought from yours, and incrementally supports the world price for all
suppliers. Since all suppliers have access to sell to someone, the only thing that matters to any of
their bottom lines is the supply and demand (that's you) around the world that sets the price, and
not where any particular gallon comes from or goes to.

On 13 Jan 2003 00:28:47 GMT, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

>> >Here are some large companies that do not import
>> Middle Eastern oil:
>> >
>> >Citgo 0 barrels

Citgo is owned by PDVSA, the Venezuelan nation oil company. Unfortunately the dictator of Venezuela
Hugo Chavez has financed Al-Qaeda in the past and may still be doing so.

-Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

> This is what we can do for Iraq too.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2448383.stm

Bill, Me again. I found that report interesting, as it seems to paint a much rosier picture of
what's going on in Afghanistan than what I've been seeing. Outside of the central area of Kabul,
everything is still an utter shambles and no housing has been built to house the refugees. There's
no power, lights or fresh water. Many wells were destroyed (they dig them by hand, that's not my
idea of a good time! But you do what you have to, right?). I think the worst part is that the
warlords are in charge in all the outlying areas. Those guys have more or less been in charge since
the early 80's, but while the Taliban were the central government (such as it was), the rampant
killing, rape, crime, etc. was fairly under control. I realize that sounds a bit like "Hey, they may
have caused a lot of death and destruction, but at least the trains ran on time!" But what's going
on again is seriously out of control. Hamid Karzai's government seems to be in control of about the
ten blocks around where they meet. Well, they did get the negotiations for the pipeline across the
country going again... The intell people seem to be saying there was never really very many al Queda
guys in the country, and they all seem to have slipped away into the foothills and mountains
bordering Pakistan. The Taliban guys, well, they've just blended in. The military is not in control
of the areas by the border, and the troops are being fired on quite regularly. Basically, it's still
a very hostile place. Anyway, that's the gist of what my reading on this has been. But I'd be
curious if any of the people from out of the US had any thoughts on this. What are you people
reading? Ilan? Bart? Anyone?

--
tanx, Howard

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Just some more info on who I support:

> > > putting more money into

> > > companies that don't import

> > > frustrating than the feeling

> > > money to people who

> > > thought it might be

> > > the best to buy gas

> > > amount to over $18

> > > Middle Eastern oil:

> > > Department of Energy and

> > > U.S. are required to

> > > are importing. They

> > > Stop paying for

> > I buy my gas from Hess or BP
>
> Me too, 'cuz it's usually cheaper. On the west coast I buy Arco, which is also cheaper, and mostly
> 'merican made (from Alaska).
>
> What do you think about spending $200B on a war over your $18B worth of annual imports? Bush went
> to a good B-school, so surely he should be able to come up with an amortization schedule... have
> we even paid off the last one yet?
>
> Matt O.

It is as much about George W. avenging the hit that Irag put out on his Daddy when he was president
as it is oil. They haven't found anything yet (the inspectors) Even if they don't you can bet he
comes up with an excuse to attack Iraq after imobilizing that many resources. Personally I think
Korea is the bigger threat. I wish GW would put 1/2 that much energy into getting our economy in
gear instead of some lame 1/2 ass attempt as he has in the past few days. Dave
P.S. if you lived out here ALL the time and filled your car everyday with Arco, you would switch
after a bit when your car starting pinging all the time. I use Union 76 (didn't see it on
either list)

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> What do you think about spending $200B on a war over your $18B worth of annual imports? Bush went
> to a good B-school, so surely he should be able to come up with an amortization schedule... have
> we even paid off the last one yet?

That $18B fuels $2T of the national economy. Not like you could pick it up somewhere else. So I'd
say six weeks.

In article <[email protected]>, "Dave Hansen"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> It is as much about George W. avenging the hit that Irag put out on his Daddy when he was
> president as it is oil. They haven't found anything yet (the inspectors) Even if they don't you
> can bet he comes up with an excuse to attack Iraq after imobilizing that many resources.
> Personally I think Korea is the bigger threat. I wish GW would put 1/2 that much energy into
> getting our economy in gear instead of some lame 1/2 ass attempt as he has in the past few
> days. Dave
> P.S. if you lived out here ALL the time and filled your car everyday with Arco, you would switch
> after a bit when your car starting pinging all the time. I use Union 76 (didn't see it on
> either list)

Back in about 1990, there was a report (I'll look up some info on this tomorrow) that was done on
Iraq by Paul Wolfowitz and a bunch of other hawks (most of whom are now involved in the W
administration). Its premise was that if the US set up a "democratic" government in Iraq that was
favorable to US interests, we could turn up the volume of oil coming out of Iraq (which has the
second largest proven oil reserves in the world) and then shut out the Saudis and anyone else who
wasn't cooperating with us. This report was universally condemned at the time as empire building.
Well, as I said, all those people are in charge now, and guess what? The plan seems to have been
fired up. W will find any excuse to get in there. He's been sending troops and hardware for
weeks. Think that's cheap? It's funny to hear them say the North Korea situation can be settled
with negotiation. But they won't talk to the Koreans. What seems to escape the view of the
shouting heads in the media is this: even if Kim Jung Il did decide to launch a missile, the US
would wipe him and the rest of the North Korean government from the planet so fast that we'd miss
it if we blinked. There'd be a line of people from his government around the block to stop him
from doing it: they'd like to continue to exist. The North Koreans have a history of acting
badly, then seeing what they can get from the US and others to make them stop. It seems to be
their national MO. But you know that the "negotiating" would end the instant oil was discovered
on the Korean peninsula, right? "We can cover two fronts!" Right. Let's get some tips on that one
from ******. As far as Iraq goes, I heard a story on the radio last week that some congressmen
had gotten a report drawn up by the intelligence agencies on Iraq. They said that they wanted to
publisize the findings, so the report was done in a manner that got all the secret **** out.
Conclusion: the same one that we've been hearing from W for weeks. Attack! But they said the
original report actually said that all of these agencies believed Saddam would not use any
weapons he had, if, in fact, he actually had any, unless he was attacked. Then it would be total
scorched earth, nothing-left-standing destruction. Saddam is NOT going to quietly go into exile
somewhere. When he goes, he's going to make sure it's ugly for all concerned. There's a lot more
to this, but its late, so... I've used Arco for years with no pinging or other side effects. But
everyone's car behaves a bit different when it comes to things like this. I like Arco because
it's the least expensive gas around here, while 76 is the most expensive. I used to work down the
street from a gas distribution center. All the trucks filled up at the same tanks, then drove up
to a place where various additive packages where put in. I remember trucks from 76, Arco, Beacon
and a couple others coming out of there.

--
tanx, Howard

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

>From: "Matt O'Toole

>What do you think about spending $200B on a war over your $18B worth of annual imports? Bush went
>to a good B-school, so surely he should be able to come up with an amortization schedule... have we
>even paid off the last one yet?
>
>Matt O.

Considering that I, or my wife could be recalled I say it's about his sorry ass gasing the Kurds,
invading Kuwait, threatening to kill every jew he can get his hands on etc... Is he the only one?
No. Are we racist? Hell yeah. We have ignored much more brutal wars in Africa. Kosovo was a
Clinton publicity stunt. We should have finished Sadam the first time, and were well on the way to
doing it when CBS showed us finishing off a Republican Guard armored column. This caused all the
whiny liberal cotton candy types to cry out and Bush (loser Sr.) called off the world. There was
nothing between our Marines, the FFL and Baghdad. It would've been over, thousands of Kurdish kids
would be alive today, but they don't count; At least to liberals. I had a hopeless discussion
today with our local anti-war protestors. I asked them what they planned to do do help the Kurds,
and the Shiites in Iraq if there was no war. Guess what they had no answers, and didn't care. The
dead only count if they fit your political agenda! Bill C.

>Doesn't matter where the gas comes from. Gas is a fungible commodity. If you take a gallon of it
>from anywhere in the world market, the shift at some point causes someone to buy it from that
>source who could otherwise have bought from yours, and incrementally supports the world price for
>all suppliers. Since all suppliers have access to sell to someone, the only thing that matters to
>any of their bottom lines is the supply and demand (that's you) around the world that sets the
>price, and not where any particular gallon comes from or goes to.

I agree, but since I have to use some, I at least would rather not pass my money directly on to the
Saudis. The problem with getting the oil from other sources is that to meet the demand GW and his
advisers would like to put oil wells in everywhere. This leads to working to make sure that they
don't let the oil companies pillage the planet anymore than they already have.

Bill C.

> Sr.) called off the world. There was nothing between our Marines, the FFL
and
> Baghdad. It would've been over, thousands of Kurdish kids would be alive
today,
> but they don't count; At least to liberals.

500,000 innocent children were killed in Iraq last time. A total of 1.5 million Iraqis were killed.
That's 1/4th as many Jews that ****** killed.

[email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message:

> We should have finished Sadam the first time, and were well on the way to
> doing it when CBS showed us finishing off a Republican Guard armored column.

Can I borrow your tape? I missed it.

[email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The problem with getting the oil from other sources is that to meet the demand GW and his advisers
> would like to put oil wells in everywhere. This leads to working to make sure that they don't let
> the oil companies pillage the planet anymore than they already have.

Bil, even if this were true I'm trying to picture this "pillage" you speak of. Here in California we
had major oil projects and you have to look pretty closely to find any damage from it.

I remember when they were screaming about the oil wells in the Santa Barbara Channel being the cause
of the oil globuals which are everywhere in the ocean there. Any local sailor could have told them
that those were from natural leakage and had been a part of that environment for long before there
was any oil drilling there. It was decades after the screaming that studies demonstrated that it was
natural leakage and not oil drilling that was the cause of that stuff.

The oil wells in central California are recognizable from the "bobbing bird" pumps that are used to
extract the oil but aside from those here and there you can't see any environmental damage from
drilling or extracting oil.

I understand that in some areas of the world there are problems but most of those are caused because
the local governments don't have any environmental concerns and there are no regulations.

The same people that are crying that we are attacking Bagdad for oil don't want any oil drilling in
the Anwar.

These are also the same people that authoritatively told us that the Alaskan Pipeline would destroy
the carraboo habatat for good. Latest studies are that the warming area around the pipeline is
responsible for a substantial increases in the carraboo population. The envirnmentalists made every
possible attempt to hide that study. Mainstream media gave it page 32 if they mentioned it at all.

The environmentalists tell us that we would destroy the Anwar if we were to drill for oil there. Yet
they are the one's responsible for MTBE in the gasoline which has now been detected in 60% of the
water in California.

When are people going to brighten up and stop listening to fools?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

> >From: "Matt O'Toole
>
> >What do you think about spending $200B on a war over your $18B worth of annual imports? Bush went
> >to a good B-school, so surely he should be able to come up with an amortization schedule... have
> >we even paid off the last one yet?
> >
> >Matt O.
> >

> Considering that I, or my wife could be recalled I say it's about his sorry ass gasing the
> Kurds, invading Kuwait, threatening to kill every jew he can get his hands on etc... Is he the
> only one? No. Are we racist? Hell yeah. We have ignored much more brutal wars in Africa. Kosovo
> was a Clinton publicity stunt. We should have finished Sadam the first time, and were well on
> the way to doing it when CBS showed us finishing off a Republican Guard armored column. This
> caused all the whiny liberal cotton candy types to cry out and Bush (loser Sr.) called off the
> world. There was nothing between our Marines, the FFL and Baghdad. It would've been over,
> thousands of Kurdish kids would be alive today, but they don't count; At least to liberals. I
> had a hopeless discussion today with our local anti-war protestors. I asked them what they
> planned to do do help the Kurds, and the Shiites in Iraq if there was no war. Guess what they
> had no answers, and didn't care. The dead only count if they fit your political agenda! Bill C.

Bill, I don't recall the armored column thing you mention except that it was shown after the fact.
(By that I mean there was no live film of the thing - the coverage was seriously restricted during
that war. The Pentagon had learned something from Vietnam: when the shooting and killing are live on
TV, the public gets turned off.) I also don't really remember any huge outcry over it. Besides, when
did Bush ever care much about any public outcry over something he was doing? As far as the Kurdish
kids go, well, yes, there were and continue to be Kurdish civilian deaths. The sanctions have
resulted in plenty of deaths throughout Iraq. During the Iran-Iraq war of the 80's, both sides were
gassing each other - and both were gassing Kurds. Our long-time allies the Turks have treated (and
continue to do so) the Kurds as badly as either of the other two. No one in the area seems to care
for the Kurds... Iraq has been the most secular society in the area for years. However, since 9-11
and the W talk of war, Saddam has allowed the Muslim leaders to have some more say in the government
and in the public sector, although they are very tightly controlled. Where I've read this, the
authors have pointed out that it seems to be an attempt to gather some support from the Muslim
nations of the world if the US attacks. In other words, Saddam's "Muslimization" of Iraq is
something of a game on his part. The various groups who occupy northern Iraq (the Iraqi national
Congress, and several Kurdish factions, to name a few) have been at each other's throats for years,
slaughtering each other with regularity. The human rights situation up there is horrendous. But they
are supposed to work together to form an "interim" government after Saddam. One of the biggest
Kurdish factions are so harsh in their interpretation of the Koran they make the Taliban look like a
day at Disneyland. Some people have questioned why the Iraqi people don't take Saddam out
themselves. A report on the BBC radio news on Friday last week explained that people used to try,
but the plots always got busted. The reason was the Iraqi secret service. Not because they were so
brilliant, but they had massive coverage: between 20 and 25 percent of the population is getting
paid by them. Every plot gets infiltrated, and everyone else is afraid that their plot will get
infiltrated. So, what to do? Well, I am the first to admit I don't really know. It is a very complex
situation. I do think that the repercussions of actually going ahead with the invasion and what will
come after will be extremely high. The WTC and Bali will be just a warm-up.

--

one of the six billion wrote:

> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Sr.) called off the world. There was nothing between our Marines, the FFL
> and
> > Baghdad. It would've been over, thousands of Kurdish kids would be alive
> today,
> > but they don't count; At least to liberals.
>
> 500,000 innocent children were killed in Iraq last time. A total of 1.5 million Iraqis were
> killed. That's 1/4th as many Jews that ****** killed.

WHO got those figures directly from the Iraqi government and published them and has been trying
futilely to retract them ever since.

"one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Sr.) called off the world. There was nothing between our Marines, the FFL
> and
> > Baghdad. It would've been over, thousands of Kurdish kids would be alive
> today,
> > but they don't count; At least to liberals.
>
> 500,000 innocent children were killed in Iraq last time. A total of 1.5 million Iraqis were
> killed. That's 1/4th as many Jews that ****** killed.

And so where were these half million children? And where were these
1.5 million dead?

This was the most highly accurate and targeted military campaign in history. Event he Liberal press
corps inside of Iraq was showing pictures of how the cruise missles were actually flying down the
streets, turning corners at main intersections and hitting precise targets.

Saddam published patently false propaganda which the WHO organization published without checking.
Only complete blithering idiots wouldn't have checked out the data. The Desert Storm campaign was
death on combat units but had very low casualties in other areas.

What would lead you to not only publish lies like that but (as is obvious) actually believe them?