SUV's

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Kiem
Madvanen) wrote:

> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
>
> Zub

I like how this story suggests that SUVs have not caught on in Japan because of some community
spirit, and not because gas is more expensive, large SUVs don't fit on Japan-sized roads, parking it
would be impossible, and the general lack of interest in American-built vehicles there.

Well, after having almost gotten mowed down today by not one, but TWO SUV's, I can ascertain that
SUV owners are extremely aggressive. I have had close calls with other types of cars but nowhere
near as close as SUV calls...

Just my 2c.

Daniel

Danny Callen wrote:
> "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
>>
>>Zub
>

> What a bunch of total ********.

I thought it was pretty accurate.

> What has this got to do with Bike Racing?

Nothing. Are we supposed to be discussing Bike Racing or something?

Greg

Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
personally.

I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get killed by a car on the road
while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by someone in an SUV.

Adam

in article [email protected], Danny Callen at [email protected] wrote on
1/8/03 5:18 PM:

> "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
>>
>> Zub
>
> What a bunch of total ********. What has this got to do with Bike Racing?
>
> Danny Callen

"Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
>
> What a bunch of total ********. What has this got to do with Bike Racing?

I don't know what it's like out where you are but in California that article is dead square on. Oh,
sure, there are still the few people that buy an SUV because they have a legitimate need for the
things but SUV sales are 100 times those uses.

The Cadillac Escalades and Lincoln Navigators are the SUV's most likely to be seen in the commuter
lane with one person inside and driving above 80 mph. Often you can see them swerving from lane to
lane to get one more car length ahead. You'll see them squeeze in between two cars rather than wait
30 seconds for a clearing to move up. Assholes on a scale that should be jailed, but the California
Highway Patrol has relinquished the freeways to anarchy.

This would be bad enough but the driving of people like that brings out the animal in almost
everyone else as well. A couple of months ago a propane tanker passed me. I was in the fast lane and
he was in the commuter lane to the left. I was doing above the speed limit and the truck limit is 10
mph slower than the car limit. 1/4 mile up the road the propane truck slammed on his brakes and
screeched across 5 lanes of heavy traffic to take the exit. All traffic came to a complete stop on
the freeway. That exit is where the Highway Patrol office is.

And that's what people think of the law now and the SUV is the leader of the pack.

I wonder if I drove my bike into the eave of the garage on the top of a SUV it would be worse or
better? I might be able to compete in some specific cycling worlds event under a classification with
only me in it and become world champ...??? class- masters- suv driving - disabled - world
champion....

sounds good

Weren't you driving a KIA imitation SUV? :)

Brian

--
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.--Voltaire Together We Can End Violence,
Exploitation and War Visit UU PeaceWork, AFSC and True Majority
"Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BA4225D5.1083%[email protected]...
> Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
> personally.
>
> I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get
killed
> by a car on the road while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by
> someone in an SUV.
>
> Adam
>
> in article [email protected], Danny Callen at [email protected] wrote on
> 1/8/03 5:18 PM:
>

> > "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
> >>
> >> Zub
> >
> > What a bunch of total ********. What has this got to do with Bike
Racing?

> > Danny Callen

"Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BA4225D5.1083%[email protected]...
> Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
> personally.
>
> I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get
killed
> by a car on the road while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by
> someone in an SUV.
>
> Adam

Ney ney.. i got rid of the "behemoth" when I didn't need it anymore. I still drive an SUV but it
gets 25 MPG. It's just idiotic to stereotype any particular type of driver to a certain type of
vehicle. That's like saying all bike riders are skinny wimpy fags. Come on Adam, I know you're more
intelligent than that. If the article was about how all Chinese are bad drivers or all blacks drive
Toyota's you'd all be up in arms. I don't go for stereo- typing.

BTW, I don't take it personally whatsoever. I drive aggressively no matter what damn
vehicle I'm in!!!

Danny Callen

> I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get killed by a car on the road
> while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by someone in an SUV.
>
> Adam

I'm usually more worried about the '76 rusted pickups with the gunracks hanging in the back window

Adam Hodges Myerson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<BA4225D5.1083%[email protected]>...

> I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get killed by a car on the road
> while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by someone in an SUV.

Adam, you're completely safe cause only the good die young.

wow, good thing that writer isnt too biased..

As a former SUV owner, I can saw I've reformed and now drive a car (WRX)- now, when I drive over
things, its relatively easy to tell what/who they are~

an interesting factoid related to this article: I heard to that for 2002 tax purposes, there is a
"large SUV" loophole which states that if you bought a large SUV last year, you'd be able to write
off the entire purchase because the vehicle can be used for work-related driving. my friend had read
an article about why several politicians were now buyuing large SUVs- this could be part of the
reason why sales of very large SUVs had increased...

I heard it through the grapevine, but it was from a relatively reliable source.

Sean

Danny Callen wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Danny Callen wrote:
>>
>>>"Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>What a bunch of total ********.
>>
>>I thought it was pretty accurate.
>>

> Sorry if I sound offensive but are you freakin' kidding?

I thought it was pretty accurate.

> That kind of ignorance is hilarious!

Then start pointing out all the "ignorance".

"They tend to like fine restaurants a lot more than off-road driving."

"Bradsher quotes a former Ford market researcher who says the SUV craze is 'about not letting
anything get in your way, and at the extreme, about intimidating others to get out of your way.'"

"baby boomers have embraced the four-wheel-drive SUV as a symbol of their ability to defy the
conventions of old age, of their independence and 'outdoorsiness,'".

"The occupant death rate in SUVs is 6 percent higher than it is for cars – 8 percent higher in the
largest SUVs. The main reason is that SUVs carry a high risk of rollover; 62 percent of SUV deaths
in 2000 occurred in rollover accidents."

"Government researchers have found that a behemoth like the four-ton Chevy Tahoe kills 122 people
for every 1 million models on the road; by comparison, the Honda Accord only kills 21."

"But if soccer moms and office-park dads really need to ferry a lot of people around, they could
simply get a large car or a minivan."

Sounds accurate to me. Your name is really Danielle and you own a Navigator to take your kids to
soccer practice, huh?

Greg

Yeah, but Allison's mom bought it for her when she was in college, _and_ it still got 25 mpg. Before
we met, so I take no blame.

It died at 106,000 miles. Overheated, blown engine. We just got a Toyota Echo, so now I can be
really self-righteous. (I do still have the '84 diesel Merc.)

Danny has some huge boat of an SUV, but I can't remember what it is.

Adam

in article [email protected], Brian Lafferty at