Suzanne Somers' Lasagna?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by cassatt, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. cassatt

    cassatt Guest

    First off, I'm new here...not new to lurking this site, just new to
    posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"

    Next, I was up late one night and there was a TV show hosted by Russell
    Simmons' wife. SS was making her lasagna but I was in another room and
    didn't see the segment. I've looked all over the web (including here)
    and can't find it. After five months of low carbing it, I'd love
    lasagna that's made with something that roughly passes for noodles. I
    know...I'm WEAK! You can find just about anything on the web, but not
    her lasagna?

    Thanx!

    Tags:

  2. Tori M.

    Tori M. Guest

    "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > First off, I'm new here...not new to lurking this site, just new to
    > posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"
    >
    > Next, I was up late one night and there was a TV show hosted by Russell
    > Simmons' wife. SS was making her lasagna but I was in another room and
    > didn't see the segment. I've looked all over the web (including here)
    > and can't find it. After five months of low carbing it, I'd love
    > lasagna that's made with something that roughly passes for noodles. I
    > know...I'm WEAK! You can find just about anything on the web, but not
    > her lasagna?
    >
    > Thanx!

    would one of these links help?
    http://www.recipezaar.com/83464
    http://www.recipezaar.com/69598

    oh and I found this on her website

    Somersize Slow Cooker Lasagna

    1 32 ounce jar Somersize Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Sauce
    1-1/2 pounds ground beef
    8 egg crepes (see recipe below)
    1 32 ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese
    5 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
    2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup Somersize Basil Pesto

    Brown ground beef in large skillet and then add jar of Somersize Roasted
    Garlic & Mushroom Sauce. Heat thoroughly.

    In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan and pesto together until well
    blended.

    Coat bottom of Somersize Slow Cooker Porcelain Crock with 2 ladles of meat
    sauce. Cover with a layer of two egg crepes. Next, spread half of the
    ricotta cheese mixture over crepe layer and top with two more crepes. Pour
    two more ladles of sauce mix over crepes and cover with 1 cup of mozzarella.
    Continue layering with two crepes on top of mozzarella. Spread remaining
    ricotta cheese mixture evenly over crepes. Place two crepes on top. Cover
    with remaining meat sauce and top with the rest of the mozzarella.

    Set Slow Cooker to High for 2 hours or Low heat for 4 hours.

    Tori

    --
    Bonnie 3/02
    Xavier 10/04

    Goal 1- lose 20 lbs By May 1st

  3. Tori M.

    Tori M. Guest

    "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > First off, I'm new here...not new to lurking this site, just new to
    > posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"
    >
    > Next, I was up late one night and there was a TV show hosted by Russell
    > Simmons' wife. SS was making her lasagna but I was in another room and
    > didn't see the segment. I've looked all over the web (including here)
    > and can't find it. After five months of low carbing it, I'd love
    > lasagna that's made with something that roughly passes for noodles. I
    > know...I'm WEAK! You can find just about anything on the web, but not
    > her lasagna?
    >
    > Thanx!

    Sorry about the double post I just realized I forgot a recipe that is needed
    for the first one.

    Somersize Egg Crepes

    6 eggs
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    butter

    In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a
    crepe or omelette pan over medium to medium-high heat and lightly coat the
    bottom and sides of the pan with butter.

    Using a ladle, put enough egg into the pan to make a thin coating. When it
    sets, lift up with a spatula, being careful not to tear the crepe, and turn.
    Cook one more minute and then slide the crepe out of the pan and onto a
    dish. Continue making egg crepes in this way until you have used all the
    batter. Stack the crepes as you would pancakes.

    Tori

    --
    Bonnie 3/02
    Xavier 10/04

    Goal 1- lose 20 lbs By May 1st

  4. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    Try mixing the lasagna ingredients, sans noodles, with chopped cauliflower.

    "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > First off, I'm new here...not new to lurking this site, just new to
    > posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"
    >
    > Next, I was up late one night and there was a TV show hosted by Russell
    > Simmons' wife. SS was making her lasagna but I was in another room and
    > didn't see the segment. I've looked all over the web (including here)
    > and can't find it. After five months of low carbing it, I'd love
    > lasagna that's made with something that roughly passes for noodles. I
    > know...I'm WEAK! You can find just about anything on the web, but not
    > her lasagna?
    >
    > Thanx!

  5. jamie

    jamie Guest

    Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Try mixing the lasagna ingredients, sans noodles, with chopped cauliflower.
    >> posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"

    Other options people have used to replace lasagna noodles (in addition
    to egg-based LC crepes), are cooked cabbage leaves, or thin fried eggplant
    slices coated with parmesan and soya powder or mixtures similar to
    Atkins' bake mix.

    On maintenance, I've used somewhat skimpy layers of Dreamfields or
    Bella Vita LC pasta (just about all other brands of LC pasta have
    been described as cooked cardboard).

    --
    jamie ([email protected])

    "There's a seeker born every minute."

  6. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    jamie wrote:
    > Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Try mixing the lasagna ingredients, sans noodles, with chopped

    cauliflower.
    > >> posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"

    > Other options people have used to replace lasagna noodles (in

    addition
    > to egg-based LC crepes), are cooked cabbage leaves, or thin fried

    eggplant
    > slices coated with parmesan and soya powder or mixtures similar to
    > Atkins' bake mix.
    >
    > On maintenance, I've used somewhat skimpy layers of Dreamfields or
    > Bella Vita LC pasta (just about all other brands of LC pasta have
    > been described as cooked cardboard).
    >
    > --
    > jamie ([email protected])

    I use Barilla or Ronzoni no boil lasagna noodles. Three whole boards
    is about 40 grams, and I rarely eat even the equivalent of one. I
    usually toss some of my noodle layer, my family eats all of theirs.

    Barilla is waaaaaaay better, BTW.

    Susan

    > "There's a seeker born every minute."

  7. cassatt

    cassatt Guest

    Yes, this is it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I must have missed
    the "slow cooker" part and was wondering how round crepes would go in a
    lasagna pan. I can use a round casserole dish. You're a fine web
    detective....I searched for hours and couldn't find it. I never thought
    of checking her website...doh! <blush>

  8. cassatt

    cassatt Guest

    I've tried cabbage leaves, zucchini, eggplant,
    cauliflower.....Unfortunately, my biggest weakness is pasta -- an open
    box is an empty box -- oh, I've tried Mueller's low carb and it's just
    awful -- I hope the crepes do the trick!

    Thanks, all, for your suggestions!

  9. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

  10. cassatt

    cassatt Guest

    > Hi Cassatt, welcome to posting to the group!

    Hi, and thanks! Your before and after pics are awesome.

  11. cassatt,
    welcome to the group, and PLEASE post how this crepe lasagna turns
    out!

    --
    read and post,
    rosie

    "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    : Yes, this is it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I must have
    missed
    : the "slow cooker" part and was wondering how round crepes would go
    in a
    : lasagna pan. I can use a round casserole dish. You're a fine web
    : detective....I searched for hours and couldn't find it. I never
    thought
    : of checking her website...doh! <blush>
    :

  12. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > > Hi Cassatt, welcome to posting to the group!

    > Hi, and thanks! Your before and after pics are awesome.

    Thank you! It ain't over yet, though, so I like to refer to them as
    *progress* photos :)

    --
    Saffire
    205/143/125 - 5'1.5"

  13. cassatt

    cassatt Guest

    Well, Rosie, I was too impatient and hungry to make the crepes so I
    went ahead and made the lasagna without them. I used Victoria brand
    sauce, and mushrooms instead of the pesto. I didn't miss the noodles
    and this is coming from a self-avowed pasta junkie. I'm going to make
    it again Sunday night with the crepes.

    rosie read n' post wrote:
    > and PLEASE post how this crepe lasagna turns
    > out!
    >
    > --
    > read and post,
    > rosie

  14. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Well, Rosie, I was too impatient and hungry to make the crepes so I
    > went ahead and made the lasagna without them. I used Victoria brand
    > sauce, and mushrooms instead of the pesto. I didn't miss the noodles
    > and this is coming from a self-avowed pasta junkie. I'm going to make
    > it again Sunday night with the crepes.

    how do you make a lasagna with no pasta or crepes or anything? Wouldn't that
    just be cheese and sauce & meat swimming around a baking dish?

    > rosie read n' post wrote:
    >> and PLEASE post how this crepe lasagna turns
    >> out!
    >>
    >> --
    >> read and post,
    >> rosie

  15. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "nanner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:55m%[email protected]

    > "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Well, Rosie, I was too impatient and hungry to make the crepes so I
    >> went ahead and made the lasagna without them. I used Victoria brand
    >> sauce, and mushrooms instead of the pesto. I didn't miss the noodles
    >> and this is coming from a self-avowed pasta junkie. I'm going to make
    >> it again Sunday night with the crepes.

    > how do you make a lasagna with no pasta or crepes or anything? Wouldn't
    > that just be cheese and sauce & meat swimming around a baking dish?

    Read the message from Tori M., where she prints the recipe. It sounds like
    the crepes are basically eggs cooked to the consistency of crepes. This
    actually sounds very good to me -- I want to try it.

    MaryL

  16. Kc-Mass

    Kc-Mass Guest

    Try using sliced deli turkey as a sub for the noodles. Get it cut kind of
    thick (1/16th?). Imitates the noodle pretty well and generally no carbs.
    More stable than the crepes. have also done with sliced (off the broad
    face) portobello.

    "nanner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:55m%[email protected]

    > "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Well, Rosie, I was too impatient and hungry to make the crepes so I
    >> went ahead and made the lasagna without them. I used Victoria brand
    >> sauce, and mushrooms instead of the pesto. I didn't miss the noodles
    >> and this is coming from a self-avowed pasta junkie. I'm going to make
    >> it again Sunday night with the crepes.

    > how do you make a lasagna with no pasta or crepes or anything? Wouldn't
    > that just be cheese and sauce & meat swimming around a baking dish?
    >

    >> rosie read n' post wrote:
    >>> and PLEASE post how this crepe lasagna turns
    >>> out!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> read and post,
    >>> rosie

  17. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "MaryL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:9GH%[email protected]

    > "nanner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:55m%[email protected]
    >>
    >> "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Well, Rosie, I was too impatient and hungry to make the crepes so I
    >>> went ahead and made the lasagna without them. I used Victoria brand
    >>> sauce, and mushrooms instead of the pesto. I didn't miss the noodles
    >>> and this is coming from a self-avowed pasta junkie. I'm going to make
    >>> it again Sunday night with the crepes.

    >> how do you make a lasagna with no pasta or crepes or anything? Wouldn't
    >> that just be cheese and sauce & meat swimming around a baking dish?
    >>

    > Read the message from Tori M., where she prints the recipe. It sounds
    > like the crepes are basically eggs cooked to the consistency of crepes.
    > This actually sounds very good to me -- I want to try it.
    >
    > MaryL

    Yes, that does sound good...HOWEVER...she said she impatiently made the
    lasagna with NO crepes. I asked what that was like, sounds like a soupy mess
    to me.