Suzanne Somers' Lasagna?

cassatt

Guest
First off, I'm new here...not new to lurking this site, just new to
posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"

Next, I was up late one night and there was a TV show hosted by Russell
Simmons' wife. SS was making her lasagna but I was in another room and
didn't see the segment. I've looked all over the web (including here)
and can't find it. After five months of low carbing it, I'd love
lasagna that's made with something that roughly passes for noodles. I
know...I'm WEAK! You can find just about anything on the web, but not
her lasagna?

Thanx!

"cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> First off, I'm new here...not new to lurking this site, just new to
> posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"
>
> Next, I was up late one night and there was a TV show hosted by Russell
> Simmons' wife. SS was making her lasagna but I was in another room and
> didn't see the segment. I've looked all over the web (including here)
> and can't find it. After five months of low carbing it, I'd love
> lasagna that's made with something that roughly passes for noodles. I
> know...I'm WEAK! You can find just about anything on the web, but not
> her lasagna?
>
> Thanx!

would one of these links help?
http://www.recipezaar.com/83464
http://www.recipezaar.com/69598

oh and I found this on her website

Somersize Slow Cooker Lasagna

1 32 ounce jar Somersize Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Sauce
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
8 egg crepes (see recipe below)
1 32 ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese
5 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Somersize Basil Pesto

Brown ground beef in large skillet and then add jar of Somersize Roasted
Garlic & Mushroom Sauce. Heat thoroughly.

In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan and pesto together until well
blended.

Coat bottom of Somersize Slow Cooker Porcelain Crock with 2 ladles of meat
sauce. Cover with a layer of two egg crepes. Next, spread half of the
ricotta cheese mixture over crepe layer and top with two more crepes. Pour
two more ladles of sauce mix over crepes and cover with 1 cup of mozzarella.
Continue layering with two crepes on top of mozzarella. Spread remaining
ricotta cheese mixture evenly over crepes. Place two crepes on top. Cover
with remaining meat sauce and top with the rest of the mozzarella.

Set Slow Cooker to High for 2 hours or Low heat for 4 hours.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/02
Xavier 10/04

Goal 1- lose 20 lbs By May 1st

"cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> First off, I'm new here...not new to lurking this site, just new to
> posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"
>
> Next, I was up late one night and there was a TV show hosted by Russell
> Simmons' wife. SS was making her lasagna but I was in another room and
> didn't see the segment. I've looked all over the web (including here)
> and can't find it. After five months of low carbing it, I'd love
> lasagna that's made with something that roughly passes for noodles. I
> know...I'm WEAK! You can find just about anything on the web, but not
> her lasagna?
>
> Thanx!

Sorry about the double post I just realized I forgot a recipe that is needed
for the first one.

Somersize Egg Crepes

6 eggs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
butter

In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a
crepe or omelette pan over medium to medium-high heat and lightly coat the
bottom and sides of the pan with butter.

Using a ladle, put enough egg into the pan to make a thin coating. When it
sets, lift up with a spatula, being careful not to tear the crepe, and turn.
Cook one more minute and then slide the crepe out of the pan and onto a
dish. Continue making egg crepes in this way until you have used all the
batter. Stack the crepes as you would pancakes.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/02
Xavier 10/04

Goal 1- lose 20 lbs By May 1st

Try mixing the lasagna ingredients, sans noodles, with chopped cauliflower.

Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
> Try mixing the lasagna ingredients, sans noodles, with chopped cauliflower.
>> posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"

Other options people have used to replace lasagna noodles (in addition
to egg-based LC crepes), are cooked cabbage leaves, or thin fried eggplant
slices coated with parmesan and soya powder or mixtures similar to
Atkins' bake mix.

On maintenance, I've used somewhat skimpy layers of Dreamfields or
Bella Vita LC pasta (just about all other brands of LC pasta have
been described as cooked cardboard).

--
jamie ([email protected])

"There's a seeker born every minute."

x-no-archive: yes

jamie wrote:
> Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Try mixing the lasagna ingredients, sans noodles, with chopped

cauliflower.
> >> posting (wave to the folks). So, "hi!"

> Other options people have used to replace lasagna noodles (in

addition
> to egg-based LC crepes), are cooked cabbage leaves, or thin fried

eggplant
> slices coated with parmesan and soya powder or mixtures similar to
> Atkins' bake mix.
>
> On maintenance, I've used somewhat skimpy layers of Dreamfields or
> Bella Vita LC pasta (just about all other brands of LC pasta have
> been described as cooked cardboard).
>
> --
> jamie ([email protected])

I use Barilla or Ronzoni no boil lasagna noodles. Three whole boards
is about 40 grams, and I rarely eat even the equivalent of one. I
usually toss some of my noodle layer, my family eats all of theirs.

Barilla is waaaaaaay better, BTW.

Susan

> "There's a seeker born every minute."

Yes, this is it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I must have missed
the "slow cooker" part and was wondering how round crepes would go in a
lasagna pan. I can use a round casserole dish. You're a fine web
detective....I searched for hours and couldn't find it. I never thought
of checking her website...doh! <blush>

I've tried cabbage leaves, zucchini, eggplant,
cauliflower.....Unfortunately, my biggest weakness is pasta -- an open
box is an empty box -- oh, I've tried Mueller's low carb and it's just
awful -- I hope the crepes do the trick!

Thanks, all, for your suggestions!

> Hi Cassatt, welcome to posting to the group!

Hi, and thanks! Your before and after pics are awesome.

cassatt,
welcome to the group, and PLEASE post how this crepe lasagna turns
out!

--
read and post,
rosie

"cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Yes, this is it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I must have
missed
: the "slow cooker" part and was wondering how round crepes would go
in a
: lasagna pan. I can use a round casserole dish. You're a fine web
: detective....I searched for hours and couldn't find it. I never
thought
: of checking her website...doh! <blush>
:

Well, Rosie, I was too impatient and hungry to make the crepes so I
went ahead and made the lasagna without them. I used Victoria brand
sauce, and mushrooms instead of the pesto. I didn't miss the noodles
and this is coming from a self-avowed pasta junkie. I'm going to make
it again Sunday night with the crepes.

rosie read n' post wrote:
> and PLEASE post how this crepe lasagna turns
> out!
>
> --
> read and post,
> rosie

"cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, Rosie, I was too impatient and hungry to make the crepes so I
> went ahead and made the lasagna without them. I used Victoria brand
> sauce, and mushrooms instead of the pesto. I didn't miss the noodles
> and this is coming from a self-avowed pasta junkie. I'm going to make
> it again Sunday night with the crepes.

how do you make a lasagna with no pasta or crepes or anything? Wouldn't that
just be cheese and sauce & meat swimming around a baking dish?

> rosie read n' post wrote:
>> and PLEASE post how this crepe lasagna turns
>> out!
>>
>> --
>> read and post,
>> rosie

"nanner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:55m%[email protected]...

> "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Well, Rosie, I was too impatient and hungry to make the crepes so I
>> went ahead and made the lasagna without them. I used Victoria brand
>> sauce, and mushrooms instead of the pesto. I didn't miss the noodles
>> and this is coming from a self-avowed pasta junkie. I'm going to make
>> it again Sunday night with the crepes.

> how do you make a lasagna with no pasta or crepes or anything? Wouldn't
> that just be cheese and sauce & meat swimming around a baking dish?

Read the message from Tori M., where she prints the recipe. It sounds like
the crepes are basically eggs cooked to the consistency of crepes. This
actually sounds very good to me -- I want to try it.

MaryL

Try using sliced deli turkey as a sub for the noodles. Get it cut kind of
thick (1/16th?). Imitates the noodle pretty well and generally no carbs.
More stable than the crepes. have also done with sliced (off the broad
face) portobello.

"MaryL" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "nanner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:55m%[email protected]...
>>
>> "cassatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Well, Rosie, I was too impatient and hungry to make the crepes so I
>>> went ahead and made the lasagna without them. I used Victoria brand
>>> sauce, and mushrooms instead of the pesto. I didn't miss the noodles
>>> and this is coming from a self-avowed pasta junkie. I'm going to make
>>> it again Sunday night with the crepes.

>> how do you make a lasagna with no pasta or crepes or anything? Wouldn't
>> that just be cheese and sauce & meat swimming around a baking dish?
>>

> Read the message from Tori M., where she prints the recipe. It sounds
> like the crepes are basically eggs cooked to the consistency of crepes.
> This actually sounds very good to me -- I want to try it.
>
> MaryL

Yes, that does sound good...HOWEVER...she said she impatiently made the
lasagna with NO crepes. I asked what that was like, sounds like a soupy mess
to me.