Suzue SIL-SP Bearing Size

I have a bottom end Suzue hub that I got for free (rear hub). I think
it is a SIL-SP. It has never been built into a wheel and looks brand
new.

I have heard that these hubs had course bearings, little grease, and an
axle that stretched. So I went to replace all that. It has
cup-and-cone style bearings.

I found that the hub had eleven 3/16" bearings on each side. I was
expecting the usual 1/4" bearings.

I wouldn't question it except that the dust cap on one side didn't fit
well. So I don't know if anyone has ever been in there before.

So can anyone tell me for sure if eleven 3/16 bearings per side is
correct?

TIA,
Tom

"Ille sinistrorsum hic dexrorsum abit, unus utrique error, sed variis
illudit partibus." - Horace

On 12 Jun 2006 10:38:24 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a bottom end Suzue hub that I got for free (rear hub). I think
>it is a SIL-SP. It has never been built into a wheel and looks brand
>new.
>
>I have heard that these hubs had course bearings, little grease, and an
>axle that stretched. So I went to replace all that. It has
>cup-and-cone style bearings.
>
>I found that the hub had eleven 3/16" bearings on each side. I was
>expecting the usual 1/4" bearings.
>
>I wouldn't question it except that the dust cap on one side didn't fit
>well. So I don't know if anyone has ever been in there before.
>
>So can anyone tell me for sure if eleven 3/16 bearings per side is
>correct?

Suzue's SIL-SP rear hub has nine 1/4" balls in the "free" side cup;
the cup on the "fixed" side contains ten 3/16" balls.

The front SIL-SP hubs have ten 3/16" balls per side.

John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
305-273-4440
http://www.businesscycles.com