Sven no cannibal!

Ewoud Dronkert

Guest
From Flemish teletext, my translation:

"I limit my cannibalism"
Cyclo-cross is popular in Belgium and Holland, but there it ends. Hardly a
1000 spectators watched the tricks of Nys and co. in Wetzikon.
Sven Nys: "Boring? I defend my sport by the way I ride. I do not give
obvious presents. But if it fits me, another rider may win. What good does
it do the public if I win by 2 minutes?"
"People want a spectacle, excitement. I fear that cyclo-cross will suffer
from a lone ruler. So it's pure self-interest if I limit myself in my
cannibalism", Nys surprises.

So, 15 wins this season means he's taking it easy, eh?

--
E. Dronkert

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:21:52 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert
<[email protected]> wrote:

>From Flemish teletext, my translation:
>
>"I limit my cannibalism"
>Cyclo-cross is popular in Belgium and Holland, but there it ends. Hardly a
>1000 spectators watched the tricks of Nys and co. in Wetzikon.
>Sven Nys: "Boring? I defend my sport by the way I ride. I do not give
>obvious presents. But if it fits me, another rider may win. What good does
>it do the public if I win by 2 minutes?"
>"People want a spectacle, excitement. I fear that cyclo-cross will suffer
>from a lone ruler. So it's pure self-interest if I limit myself in my
>cannibalism", Nys surprises.
>

>So, 15 wins this season means he's taking it easy, eh?

I think its literal. He won't eat anyone that finishes in, say, the
top 15. Which explains why making 13 or 14 th placeis way more
important than us non-competitors realize. When he speaks of a
'competitive edge', he's talking about a 12" carving knife.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...