My neice (19) and some of her mates have taken up swallowing various foreign bodies "for fun". The items swallowed include watches with the batteries taken out, marbles, coins, buttons, necklaces, ankle chains, plastic model men, and squishy plastic aliens etc. I am assured that none of the items are sharp, pointed or toxic. They have been doing this for over six months now and no-one has suffered any ill effects. My neice says that the objects just go down the toilet like everything else they swallow. Apparently this activity stops them wanting to take "fattening" snacks. Please, can someone tell me what this condition is called if, indeed, it is a condition and what harm, if any, is likely to follow from continuing with it. The girls see no need to go to the doctor as they are not feeling ill. -- Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263 "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it. It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"