Swallowing foreign bodies.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Alasdair Baxter, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. My neice (19) and some of her mates have taken up swallowing various foreign bodies "for fun". The
    items swallowed include watches with the batteries taken out, marbles, coins, buttons, necklaces,
    ankle chains, plastic model men, and squishy plastic aliens etc. I am assured that none of the items
    are sharp, pointed or toxic.

    They have been doing this for over six months now and no-one has suffered any ill effects. My neice
    says that the objects just go down the toilet like everything else they swallow.

    Apparently this activity stops them wanting to take "fattening" snacks.

    Please, can someone tell me what this condition is called if, indeed, it is a condition and what
    harm, if any, is likely to follow from continuing with it.

    The girls see no need to go to the doctor as they are not feeling ill.

    --

    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

    Tags:

  2. Virginia

    Virginia Guest

    It's called seriously needing mental help. She's 19 and doing this??

    It's a button placebo.;-) How many buttons you gotta swallow before you're not hungry? They say
    they're not suffering ill effects, but if they're doing this with a gang-like mentality, they may
    not be willing to admit it.

    --

    Virginia "Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission."

    www.thedesignuniverse.com

    "Alasdair Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My neice (19) and some of her mates have taken up swallowing various foreign bodies "for fun". The
    > items swallowed include watches with the batteries taken out, marbles, coins, buttons, necklaces,
    > ankle chains, plastic model men, and squishy plastic aliens etc. I am assured that none of the
    > items are sharp, pointed or toxic.
    >
    > They have been doing this for over six months now and no-one has suffered any ill effects. My
    > neice says that the objects just go down the toilet like everything else they swallow.
    >
    > Apparently this activity stops them wanting to take "fattening" snacks.
    >
    > Please, can someone tell me what this condition is called if, indeed, it is a condition and what
    > harm, if any, is likely to follow from continuing with it.
    >
    > The girls see no need to go to the doctor as they are not feeling ill.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263
    >
    > "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    > It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

  3. Philippic

    Philippic Guest

    "Alasdair Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:

    > Please, can someone tell me what this condition is called if, indeed, it is a condition and what
    > harm, if any, is likely to follow from continuing with it.

    Dunno what it's called; but it certainly *is* a condition deserving of medical attention: I once had
    a girlfriend who was seriously eating-disordered (first anorexia; then bulimia too...) and who had
    finally taken to eating handfulls of *gravel* when the pain of hunger got too strong. If that didn't
    work, she would (I discovered) occasionally eat pieces of old food found in street trash or/and
    drink a whole bottle of vodka 'to take the pain away'.

    Point is, your niece's behaviour has *already* reached the point of serious self-harm.

    But here's the problem. If you do nothing, the sufferer can greatly damage their health and may even
    die. But if you get them into treatment for their basic eating disorder, the success rate is not
    great, and the relapse rate after treatment is horrifyingly high. And if someone other than the
    sufferer gets involved and 'outs' them to a doctor (which was the mistake I made...), the problem is
    made more complicated because of trust and 'control' issues.

    In short, there is no 'clever option' here. I wish I could suggest one; your post brings it all back
    to me. Jeez.

    All I can say is: speak to a 'professional' asap. It's 'pot luck', and in any case psycho-medical
    science is (was?) still pretty much at a loss in this field. But they'll tell you the latest
    'correct' thing to do...

    My girlfriend had (this was 1997) every available kind of help (wealthy family, you see). Nothing
    worked; bad outcome. The poor, poor love.

    Ph.

  4. Gym Bob

    Gym Bob Guest

    After watching some of the European flicks I wouldn't mind just licking some of theose
    "foreign bodies"