Swap campy ergo levers

Michael Tissington

Guest
I have an old pair of 8 speed ergo campy record levers - metal (not carbon
fiber)

I have a new bike with 9 speed ergo campy levers but they have carbon fiber
levers.

I do a lot of touring, sling my bike on the back of trucks and I'm concerned
about how quickly the new levers are getting bashed.

Can I swap parts of my older levers with the new ones to make the more
resilient to knocks?

Michael Tissington wrote:
> I have an old pair of 8 speed ergo campy record levers - metal (not carbon
> fiber)
>
> I have a new bike with 9 speed ergo campy levers but they have carbon fiber
> levers.
>
> I do a lot of touring, sling my bike on the back of trucks and I'm concerned
> about how quickly the new levers are getting bashed.
>
> Can I swap parts of my older levers with the new ones to make the more
> resilient to knocks?

I believe that if both are of the same design (pointy or rounded) the
brake levers may be swapped. Just drive the pivot pin out (press fit)
of both and install the other by driving the pin in.

D'ohBoy

Michael Tissington wrote:
> I have an old pair of 8 speed ergo campy record levers - metal (not carbon
> fiber)
>
> I have a new bike with 9 speed ergo campy levers but they have carbon fiber
> levers.
>
> I do a lot of touring, sling my bike on the back of trucks and I'm concerned
> about how quickly the new levers are getting bashed.
>
> Can I swap parts of my older levers with the new ones to make the more
> resilient to knocks?

As already mentioned, maybe the only part that can be swapped is the
lever itself. Internals of pointy and round shaped bodies are
different in size. I recall when Ullrich had 9 or 10 speed pointy
shaped Ergo levers they were special custom made in Vicenza because the
internals are not swappable between bodies. Custom drilling, forming,
grinding, etc. was required to put the new round body internals for
9/10 speed inside an old pointy body. Might be cheapest to pick up a
new set of 9/10 speed Ergo levers when you find them for a great price
and switch over parts as needed. Nashbar sells the 10 speed Veloce
Ergo levers and currently has the 9 speed Mirage Ergo levers. Not sure
they are a good deal right now even with a 15% off coupon code going at
the moment. But you have time to wait for a great deal.

Michael Tissington wrote:
> I have an old pair of 8 speed ergo campy record levers - metal (not carbon
> fiber)
>
> I have a new bike with 9 speed ergo campy levers but they have carbon fiber
> levers.
>
> I do a lot of touring, sling my bike on the back of trucks and I'm concerned
> about how quickly the new levers are getting bashed.

Don't do that then. Is anything broken yet? You will be suprised how
strong these levers are.

> Can I swap parts of my older levers with the new ones to make the more
> resilient to knocks?

I don't know. Deal with it when things do break.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Michael Tissington wrote:
> I have an old pair of 8 speed ergo campy record levers - metal (not carbon
> fiber)
>
> I have a new bike with 9 speed ergo campy levers but they have carbon fiber
> levers.
>
> I do a lot of touring, sling my bike on the back of trucks and I'm concerned
> about how quickly the new levers are getting bashed.
>
> Can I swap parts of my older levers with the new ones to make the more
> resilient to knocks?

Carbon levers meaning carbon brake blades and a different shape? If
yes, then no, innards are not swappable but what you can do is convert
the 8s levers to 9s..shift disc and toothed bushing, $55+$35 labor at
Vecchio's.

Thanks, I might just do this, can I also convert them to 10 speed - because
I have a campy shimano setup.

Michael Tissington wrote:
> Thanks, I might just do this, can I also convert them to 10 speed - because
> I have a campy shimano setup.

No, these models, I thinkyours are 1996 or older, can be converted to
9s only.

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Michael Tissington wrote:
> >> I have an old pair of 8 speed ergo campy record levers - metal (not
> >> carbon
> >> fiber)
> >>
> >> I have a new bike with 9 speed ergo campy levers but they have carbon
> >> fiber
> >> levers.
> >>
> >> I do a lot of touring, sling my bike on the back of trucks and I'm
> >> concerned
> >> about how quickly the new levers are getting bashed.
> >>
> >> Can I swap parts of my older levers with the new ones to make the more
> >> resilient to knocks?

> > Carbon levers meaning carbon brake blades and a different shape? If
> > yes, then no, innards are not swappable but what you can do is convert
> > the 8s levers to 9s..shift disc and toothed bushing, $55+$35 labor at
> > Vecchio's.

Hmm, Am I correct in thinking that I need the 10 speed levers in order to
work with a shimano 9 speed block and rear mech ?

Michael Tissington wrote:
> Hmm, Am I correct in thinking that I need the 10 speed levers in order to
> work with a shimano 9 speed block and rear mech ?

Campag rear mech and ERGO 10s, shifts wonderfully with shimano 9s
cogset and chain. Not with a shimano rear mech.

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Michael Tissington wrote:
> >> Thanks, I might just do this, can I also convert them to 10 speed -
> >> because
> >> I have a campy shimano setup.

> > No, these models, I thinkyours are 1996 or older, can be converted to
> > 9s only.
> >>

> >> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

"Michael Tissington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks, I might just do this, can I also convert them to 10 speed -
> because I have a campy shimano setup.

There have been a few threads lately on related topics: search for "campy
ergo overhaul" on 1/17/07. I can (and will) testify that an Ergo overhaul
is not a difficult task, and can be handled by any weekend warrior who knows
the difference between left-hand threads and right-hand threads. Ergo (pun
intended) a conversion from 8 to 9 spd is nothing more than an "ergo
overhaul" on the right lever but with new (different) parts on re-assembly.

Mike Lackey
Madison, AL

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 06:52:44 -0800, "Michael Tissington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hmm, Am I correct in thinking that I need the 10 speed levers in order to
>work with a shimano 9 speed block and rear mech ?

The error in derailleur movement from Campy 10 and Campy 9 to Shimano
9 is the same and results in excellent shifts. You can use either
current Campy 10 or 9. The shift disk in the 9 should be 2001 or
newer and the rear derailleur should be a current model too.