Swap meet find: Mavic mountain bike shift levers. Now what?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff Wills, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    I found a set of Mavic mountain bike shift levers at the swap meet yesterday. I *think* they're
    model 840. These are the under-handlebar mount with the "Y" shaped lever. The left lever is friction
    while the right lever is index-only. There's ten detents in the right shift lever.

    I did some searching in the archives and found some references to hooking Mavic shift levers to
    Shimano derailleurs. Nothing definitive, though. Can anybody clue me in as to whether this is
    possible? Shimano 7-speed or 8-speed? Or should I string these on fishing line and use 'em for
    wind chimes?

    Jeff

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Jeff Wills wrote:

    > I found a set of Mavic mountain bike shift levers at the swap meet yesterday. I *think* they're
    > model 840. These are the under-handlebar mount with the "Y" shaped lever. The left lever is
    > friction while the right lever is index-only. There's ten detents in the right shift lever.
    >
    > I did some searching in the archives and found some references to hooking Mavic shift levers to
    > Shimano derailleurs. Nothing definitive, though. Can anybody clue me in as to whether this is
    > possible? Shimano 7-speed or 8-speed? Or should I string these on fishing line and use 'em for
    > wind chimes?

    Those are great! They'll work with either 7 or 8 speed, and probably even
    9. This is because they're not true indexing shifters -- they're a ratchet design, like an old
    Suntour downtube shifter. There are several clicks per gear, rather than one big one. It might
    seem imprecise, but in practice it works very well -- you quickly get a feel for just how much
    to move the lever. Even though thumbshifters had true indexing, the Mavic wishbones had an edge
    in ergonomics, so in practice they were better. I rode with them for awhile before Rapidfire
    Plus came out -- the original push-push Rapidfire were crap, and thumbshifters very poor
    ergonomically. I preferred the Mavics to either.

    Matt O.

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Those are great! They'll work with either 7 or 8 speed, and probably even
    > 9. This is because they're not true indexing shifters -- they're a ratchet design, like an old
    > Suntour downtube shifter. There are several clicks per gear, rather than one big one. It might
    > seem imprecise, but in practice it works very well -- you quickly get a feel for just how much
    > to move the lever.

    Well, bloody heck... I grew up with friction shifters, so I guess these are just as good. It's
    weird- they have really distinct clicks on the right shifter and what feels like a retro-friction
    shifter on the left. I guess I'll have to bolt them on and try them out.

    Jeff