Swapping frames

rj2wheels

Jan 8, 2013
I am weighting the option of buying a new Surly LHT frameset or the whole bike. Obviously the price difference between the frame and the whole bike is a lot and I'm wondering if it's possible to simply swap over the 105 components and Mavic Aksium wheels I already have. I am currently riding a Specialized Allez road bike. The LHT frame comes in a road frame. I imagine there will be the odd part here and there that I will have to buy but Im wondering if anyone can see any major problems with doing this.
Many thanks, RJ

The ONE possible drawback which you may encounter for your planned parts swap is that the smaller LHT frame sizes use 26" wheels while the larger frames use 700c wheels ...

So, if you opt for one of the smaller frames then you cannot use the particular MAVIC wheelset ...

Otherwise, you should be able to use almost everything else with the possible exception of the front derailleur if the clamp size is different AND (of course) the brake calipers.

700c option size range? Aksiums on a tourer even if they do fit? Brakeset? Longer chain required. New cable set needed.

Thanks guys! I saw wiggle.co.uk has the 700c size frame and think that is the best option. If i spend a couple 100 on parts its still much cheaper than a new one. Cheers