Swapping MegaExo and Ultegra bottom brackets - what tools??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by WINGNUTT, Oct 13, 2005.

1. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

Here's one for the bottom bracket gurus. I have an ultegra crankset on one bike, and an FSA SL-K crankset (with MegaExo BB) on the other. Problem is that I need to swap them from one bike to the other. Does anyone know which tools I would need for this task, and would the same tools work for both bottom brackets?

Anyone who answers this question will get a gold star!! Thanks.

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

According to Park Tool website, the same tools should work for Hollowtech II (integrated Shimano BB) and FSA MegaExo.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=95

If you have the non-integrated cartridge 9S Ultegra BB, you will need an 8mm hex wrench, a crank puller, a splined cartridge BB removal tool such as the Park BB-2, and a large wrench to use with the BB remover.

3. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

John M, thank you for this info - EXACTLY what I was looking for.... GOLD STAR for you!!!!

Of course... figures my Shimano is the non-integrated version (BB6500), so I'll also need to add a new toolbox to my shopping list if I'm going to do this swap :(

Thanks again!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

4. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

sounds cheaper to pay somebody to do it , the crankpuller you may use again ( though do they both use the same puller ? ) but how often do you change a bottom bracket .
    ps changing a bb can be a pig , real " brute force and ignorance " stuff if it´s been in a while so a good work stand is also required and if you mess it up.....
    finding a mechanic you trust could be cheaper .

5. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

And I'm sure you've checked that both cranks have the same BB threading... right?

6. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

Both BBs have the same threading. I'm thinking it might be easier to take it to the shop and have them do the work. I don't have a work stand, nor any of the tools, and this is only the second time I've ever had the urge to pull a BB.