swapping tubular for clincher rim

B Paton

Guest
Hi all,

A friend has a bike with tubulars, Wolber Aspin rims which have an ERD of
614mm, according to spocalc. I see some others with a similar ERD in 700c,
but they seem to be out of production or hard to find. What commonly
available clincher rim would be a good choice to replace the rim without
respoking?

Thanks,
Blake

[email protected] wrote:
> i think that the mavic ma3 ought to work or any other low profile rim.
>
> Andres

MA-3 is 608mm ERD. No clincher comes to mind with that large of an
ERD..Most are 605/8mm or less.

"Qui Si Parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> MA-3 is 608mm ERD. No clincher comes to mind with that large of an
> ERD..Most are 605/8mm or less.

The Alex DM18 is a heavy brute, but it has an erd of 610mm, is this close
enough to 614, assuming the original spokes were correctly sized?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:44:18 -0500, B Paton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A friend has a bike with tubulars, Wolber Aspin rims which have an ERD of
> 614mm, according to spocalc. I see some others with a similar ERD in 700c,
> but they seem to be out of production or hard to find. What commonly
> available clincher rim would be a good choice to replace the rim without
> respoking?

Sun Rhino Lite is close, at 612, but that is a touring/tandem rim. Wait,
the mavic MA40 is listed at 613, as is the (disontinued, hard to find)
MA2. Certainly the MA3 at 607.5 will not work without new spokes.

But you may spend more than the cost of a reasonable rim + spokes to find
one with this ERD. All this will have to be repeated if/when something
happens to the rim.

Best idea would be to replace the spokes and rim with something common.
Re-using spokes _is_ a good idea, but new spokes work as well.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:38:33 -0500, B Paton wrote:

> The Alex DM18 is a heavy brute, but it has an erd of 610mm, is this close
> enough to 614, assuming the original spokes were correctly sized?

4mm? I'd say no. The ends of the spokes will poke past the rim tape.
You will also run out of threads before the spokes are tight enough.
--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
_`\(,_ | common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,
(_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my
trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

"B Paton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> A friend has a bike with tubulars, Wolber Aspin rims which have an ERD of
> 614mm, according to spocalc. I see some others with a similar ERD in 700c,
> but they seem to be out of production or hard to find. What commonly
> available clincher rim would be a good choice to replace the rim without
> respoking?
>
> Thanks,
> Blake

I once got away with replacing a box tubular rim with a much smaller ERD
clincher rim (Mavic CXP-30) by going from two to three cross lacing.

Also you may find that you can at least use some of the spokes with the new
rims as the shorter rear spokes may fit on the new front wheel.

It's a longshot but just in case...

Dave