Swapping walks and routes via GPS

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tony, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hi,
    Are there any websites where I might be able to download routes and trails
    to put into my Garmin Geko and maybe upload some of my own.

    Many Thanks
    Tony

    Tags:

  2. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Depends what software you're using.

    Anquet (www.anquet.co.uk) provide this facility for their software, I'm
    guessing that the others (Memory Map, Tracklogs, Fugawi) do the same.

    Trail magazine publish their routes online (in MM format?) at
    www.trailroutes.com.

    Googling around will find you more.

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Depends what software you're using.
    >
    > Anquet (www.anquet.co.uk) provide this facility for their software, I'm
    > guessing that the others (Memory Map, Tracklogs, Fugawi) do the same.
    >
    > Trail magazine publish their routes online (in MM format?) at
    > www.trailroutes.com.
    >
    > Googling around will find you more.

    Thank you very much D. that will get me started.
    Cheers
    Tony

  4. Neil Pugh

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Tony <[email protected]>
    writes
    >Hi,
    >Are there any websites where I might be able to download routes and trails
    >to put into my Garmin Geko and maybe upload some of my own.
    >
    >Many Thanks
    >Tony

    See:

    http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/gps/routesa.html#north east

    http://www.36haroldstreet.freeserve.co.uk/GPS.htm

    http://www.gpswalker.cwc.net/routepage.htm

    http://www.heathrowhikers.org/gpsroutes.htm

    As mentioned by druidh Anquet have a large database at:

    http://www.anquet.co.uk/routes.asp

    The latest (beta) version of GPS Utility (highly recommended even if you
    own Anquet or similar, and not expensive) accepts imports & exports of
    Anquet ARF files:

    http://www.gpsu.co.uk/

    Regards

    --
    Neil Pugh

  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Neil Pugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In message <[email protected]>, Tony <[email protected]> writes
    >>Hi,
    >>Are there any websites where I might be able to download routes and trails
    >>to put into my Garmin Geko and maybe upload some of my own.
    >>
    >>Many Thanks
    >>Tony
    >>

    > See:
    >
    > http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/gps/routesa.html#north east
    >
    > http://www.36haroldstreet.freeserve.co.uk/GPS.htm
    >
    > http://www.gpswalker.cwc.net/routepage.htm
    >
    > http://www.heathrowhikers.org/gpsroutes.htm
    >

    > As mentioned by druidh Anquet have a large database at:
    >
    > http://www.anquet.co.uk/routes.asp
    >

    > The latest (beta) version of GPS Utility (highly recommended even if you
    > own Anquet or similar, and not expensive) accepts imports & exports of
    > Anquet ARF files:
    >
    > http://www.gpsu.co.uk/
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > --
    > Neil Pugh

    That's great Neil,
    Thanks for the links.

    Tony

  6. Ysgrifennodd "Tony" <[email protected]> mewn neges
    newyddion:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    > Are there any websites where I might be able to download routes and trails
    > to put into my Garmin Geko and maybe upload some of my own.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > Tony

    Tony,

    I have GPS files in .gpx, .mmo and .trl formats (.gpx should import into any
    decent GPS Software, the others for Memory Map and Tracklogs) on my site,
    www.walkeryri.org.uk . This site is for Snowdonia only.

    Another site i found recently that might be more what you're looking for is
    http://www.trailexchange.co.uk
    You can swap .gpx files here and post your own. However, my attempts at
    doing so were rather abortive, and i haven't had the time to bother again.

    HTH

    T Dave R

    p.s. as for uploading files, i'm up for putting a gps file page on my site
    if anyone wants to send me any files. Snowdonia only though.
    --

    Walk in Snowdonia
    www.walkeryri.org.uk

  7. Ysgrifennodd "Dafydd Ap Arwyn" <[email protected]> mewn neges
    newyddion:[email protected]
    > Ysgrifennodd "Tony" <[email protected]> mewn neges
    > newyddion:[email protected]
    >> Hi,
    >> Are there any websites where I might be able to download routes and
    >> trails to put into my Garmin Geko and maybe upload some of my own.
    >>
    >> Many Thanks
    >> Tony
    >>

    > Tony,
    >
    > I have GPS files in .gpx, .mmo and .trl formats (.gpx should import into
    > any decent GPS Software, the others for Memory Map and Tracklogs) on my
    > site, www.walkeryri.org.uk . This site is for Snowdonia only.
    >
    > Another site i found recently that might be more what you're looking for
    > is http://www.trailexchange.co.uk
    > You can swap .gpx files here and post your own. However, my attempts at
    > doing so were rather abortive, and i haven't had the time to bother again.

    Should look more carefully next time!

    The two routes i submitted are now on the site (under Wales)

    --

    Walking in Snowdonia
    www.walkeryri.org.uk

  8. I hate to advertise, but I am developing a site that will do that, the
    development version is at http://walks.ndrw.co.uk/ it should be live,
    on another site, in a month or so.

    The download option will be available at that time

  9. Tony

    Tony Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I hate to advertise, but I am developing a site that will do that, the
    > development version is at http://walks.ndrw.co.uk/ it should be live,
    > on another site, in a month or so.
    >
    > The download option will be available at that time

    Brilliant, Many Thanks.
    Tony

  10. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Dafydd Ap Arwyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ysgrifennodd "Tony" <[email protected]> mewn neges
    > newyddion:[email protected]
    >> Hi,
    >> Are there any websites where I might be able to download routes and
    >> trails to put into my Garmin Geko and maybe upload some of my own.
    >>
    >> Many Thanks
    >> Tony
    >>

    > Tony,
    >
    > I have GPS files in .gpx, .mmo and .trl formats (.gpx should import into
    > any decent GPS Software, the others for Memory Map and Tracklogs) on my
    > site, www.walkeryri.org.uk . This site is for Snowdonia only.
    >
    > Another site i found recently that might be more what you're looking for
    > is http://www.trailexchange.co.uk
    > You can swap .gpx files here and post your own. However, my attempts at
    > doing so were rather abortive, and i haven't had the time to bother again.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > T Dave R
    >
    > p.s. as for uploading files, i'm up for putting a gps file page on my site
    > if anyone wants to send me any files. Snowdonia only though.
    > --
    >
    > Walk in Snowdonia
    > www.walkeryri.org.uk

    Thanks Dafydd.