SWB front rack

Rick Reb

Mar 19, 2006
Has anbody used a front rack on a short wheel base recumbent.
I am considering doing this on my vapor. I want to distribute more of the weight up front. The wheel base is 39". I have already inquired about a custom rack in this possistion and the rack manufacture said they will cut 3" of of an existing model. If I do this I intend to go with a underseat and a front rack.

I'd take a very close look at the area swept by your heels. I mounted a headlight on the fork blade of my SWB for a while - it had to be pretty low for my heels to miss it. By the time you get that low on a front 20" wheel, you don't have too far to go before you're dragging on the turns - which I suspect will dump you off pretty quickly.

My $.02, and worth every penny!

john_hopkins said:
I'd take a very close look at the area swept by your heels. I mounted a headlight on the fork blade of my SWB for a while - it had to be pretty low for my heels to miss it. By the time you get that low on a front 20" wheel, you don't have too far to go before you're dragging on the turns - which I suspect will dump you off pretty quickly.

My $.02, and worth every penny!
Thanks for the info. The panniers im considering are only 12" down from the top of the rack. My swb has a high crank.