SWB/High BB

Capri

Guest
I was looking at a Bachetta, The seat is set at 24in which
for a recumbent is pretty high but the bb is set at 35" which seems to
be really high. On the plus side these bikes would seem to be a bit
more visible to motorists than other recumbents. Anyone here have
experience with this is bike? Any problems with the high seat/bottom
bracket? I have an older Longbikes Vanguard which is a Cadillac for
touring but not so great for short trips so am thinking about adding a
SWB recumbent to my bike collection.

Phil

"Capri" <[email protected]> wrote
> I was looking at a Bachetta, The seat is set at 24in which
> for a recumbent is pretty high but the bb is set at 35" which
> seems to be really high.

I have a Volae Sport with the seat at ~26" and the crank
a few inches higher, perhaps not 35" though. I've test ridden
a Bacchetta Strada and don't recall the crank height seeming
higher, but I haven't compared the bikes side-by-side.

> Anyone here have experience with this is bike? Any problems
> with the high seat/bottom bracket?

Not really any problems, though it is quite different from
my low bottom bracket Tour Easy and BikeE. As I've said
before, I don't feel more or less visible on the Volae than
on my other bikes. It is somewhat easier to look behind
on the more upright seated BikeE and Tour Easy, but I
have rearview mirrors on all my bikes.

> thinking about adding a SWB recumbent to my bike collection.

A motion to buy another recumbent is always in order! ;-)

Jon

See <http://tinyurl.com/9na2l>. ;)
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
Hominid - The Other White Meat!

What happened to this person that motivated them to create such a
hateful and bitter web page? They have obviously put a lot of time into
it. It seems kind of pathological. Anyhow, I have put almost 1000 miles
on my Bacchetta Giro since I got it in July and I have had nothing but
fun on it. I'm not a fast rider, I usually average less than 15 mph, so
I can't really comment on how fast it is in general. I don't believe
that I am any faster on my mountain bike though. I particularly enjoy
the increased visibility in traffic. I haven't had any trouble with the
higher seat and I am only 5'9". I recommend test riding one if you can.

nednerb1 who? wrote:
> What happened to this person that motivated them to create such a
> hateful and bitter web page? [http://highracers.blogspot.com/] They
> have obviously put a lot of time into it. It seems kind of
> pathological....

I would guess [1] that someone (or more than one person) feels
slighted/insulted/betrayed by certain principal(s) at Bacchetta.

[1] Based on some statements I am not at liberty to repeat.

--

nednerb1 who? wrote:
> What happened to this person that motivated them to create such a
> hateful and bitter web page? [http://highracers.blogspot.com/] They
> have obviously put a lot of time into it. It seems kind of
> pathological....

I would guess [1] that someone (or more than one person) feels
slighted/insulted/betrayed by certain principal(s) at Bacchetta.

[1] Based on some statements I am not at liberty to repeat.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Is this a personal problem, or is it based on something that is public
knowledge? I really feel like I'm missing something and you seem to
have some inside information on this situation. I don't really
appreciate being exposed to this garbage without any explanation of
what precipitated it. I don't find the website amusing or informative.
I get the impression that it's a personal issue. Maybe if I knew the
background I could snigger about the stones that are being thrown.
Thanks,

Brenden

Is this a personal problem, or is it based on something that is public
knowledge? I really feel like I'm missing something and you seem to
have some inside information on this situation. I don't really
appreciate being exposed to this garbage without any explanation of
what precipitated it. I don't find the website amusing or informative.
I get the impression that it's a personal issue. Maybe if I knew the
background I could snigger about the stones that are being thrown.
Thanks,

Brenden

" being exposed to this garbage without >
> Brenden

You have an off switch dude. Just don't go there anymore.

"One man's ceiling is another man's floor" Title to a Paul Simon song

gotbent wrote:

> You have an off switch dude. Just don't go there anymore.

You're right. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I wouldn't have
gone there a second time if you hadn't disguised the link. I had
already been lured to it once before from a different link. We'll leave
it at that. Thanks.

Brenden

nednerb1 wrote:
> Is this a personal problem, or is it based on something that is public
> knowledge? I really feel like I'm missing something and you seem to
> have some inside information on this situation. I don't really
> appreciate being exposed to this garbage without any explanation of
> what precipitated it. I don't find the website amusing or informative.
> I get the impression that it's a personal issue. Maybe if I knew the
> background I could snigger about the stones that are being thrown.

Much of the background was public at one time [1], but has now
disappeared, and there are bits and pieces on various web forums [2].

Knowing of the participants helps, and as I said, there are some things
that are not public information.

[1] First and second incarnations of "Monkey Island".
[2] Email lists and Usenet are much better in terms of accessibility
and use. Who needs all the graphic clutter garbage, anyhow? [End Rant]

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley