Sweat belts, anyone?

less'go

Sep 11, 2003
Just curious, I saw sweat belts in the sporting goods shop the other day. They have them both for wearing around the waist and around the thights. I heard a personal trainer talking about how they can be effective for trimming the waistline... But I am skeptical.

Are sweat belts just a remnant of the Lucy and Ricky era, or does anyone here actually use one?

P.S. Okay, yes, I admit it, I did buy one. It was cheap ;-)

SAra

Well...it's a good thing it was cheap. :) A sweat belt might make a difference for a few hours or so but it only causes temporary water loss and not genuine weight (i.e. body fat) loss. Did you also happen to find one of those machines with the belt that wraps around the butt and shakes away the inches? That one might be fun at least... Don't worry, Spring is almost here!

Continue to be sceptical and you will be on the right track

I'm a personal trainer and i can tell you that a sweat belt will not make you any slimmer.

In fact any trainer that recommends a device like that should be beaten to death with his "body by jake" ab trainer then forced to eat his sweat belt.

:mad: :mad:

they give us a bad name !!

Originally posted by less'go
Just curious, I saw sweat belts in the sporting goods shop the other day. They have them both for wearing around the waist and around the thights. I heard a personal trainer talking about how they can be effective for trimming the waistline... But I am skeptical.

Are sweat belts just a remnant of the Lucy and Ricky era, or does anyone here actually use one?

SAra

Hi Sara -

I think all the sweat belt will do is speed up water loss and on longer training rides you run the risk of dehydration. I don't think it's going to effectively trim the waist. I've started working out of a punch-bag to trim and tone my upper-body...unfortunately unless you occationally cycle upside-down :D cycling doesn't do much for the pecs / arms / abs etc.

Steve

SAra

Hi Sara -

I think all the sweat belt will do is speed up water loss and on longer training rides you run the risk of dehydration. I don't think it's going to effectively trim the waist. I've started working out on a punch-bag to trim and tone my upper-body...unfortunately unless you occationally cycle upside-down :D cycling doesn't do much for the pecs / arms / abs etc.

Steve

"Did you also happen to find one of those machines with the belt that wraps around the butt and shakes away the inches?"

Grandma had one of these devilish machines with wooden bars that spun around and you'd back yourself up to it and kind of sit on it to massage away the fat... Back then I was young and lithe and couldn't imagine why a woman would have such problems. Now I'm 35. Nuff said.

"In fact any trainer that recommends a device like that should be beaten to death with his "body by jake" ab trainer then forced to eat his sweat belt."

I will hunt her down (trainer) and proceed with said beating - I only have a Jane Fonda workout cassette, will that be as effective?

So back to square one, there is no easy way around this one. Problem for gals is that you can muscle up those legs, get in great shape, but it doesn't mean you necessarily melt the fat where you'd like to.

Sigh...
Sara

Tangent warning.....

We're all familiar with the home shopping bizarre exercise equipment plug.... Ever noticed how they contrast its ease of use & general feature set against the last bizarre contraption that they plugged???

I guess its all about selling the dream.... Oh, I also dig how these machines are all so easy to use, you hardly even feel it. Could that be because your not really working out?

I 'spose its an industry that employs people..... Is that was the consumer economy is about... home shopping?

hmmm.....

My personal gadget favorite, and which sells quite well here, is the electric mucle stimulators... "Yes, you too can have your dream body without effort, eating all you want and relaxing while the machine does the rest." Demonstrated of course by a 17 year old who works out more than Madonna...

tangent warning 2

Kind of like all those creams they sell using airbrushed models who definitely have never had to use the product themselves. It is about the dream, for sure, about getting there without the effort, without lifting a finger.

And of course that's not gonna' happen. But, hey, the sweat belt only cost a few dollars, sometimes you get what you pay for.

Originally posted by xc_gumby
Tangent warning.....

We're all familiar with the home shopping bizarre exercise equipment plug.... Ever noticed how they contrast its ease of use & general feature set against the last bizarre contraption that they plugged???

I guess its all about selling the dream.... Oh, I also dig how these machines are all so easy to use, you hardly even feel it. Could that be because your not really working out?

I 'spose its an industry that employs people..... Is that was the consumer economy is about... home shopping?

hmmm.....

If you want the body and the fitness you gotta work for it. usually bloody hard too. Get out what you put in like.

Yeah you gotta work hard but also smart

It helps if you pay a presonal trainer hideous amounts of money to write your training plan :D :D

SAra

You are kidding aren´t you ????????

SAra

Just cringing at the thought of a sweat-laden waist belt getting full ........ and the sweat dripping down the butt crack. :eek:

PS. The six-pack is MINE, but you can touch it if you're nice !

:D :p

Hell how about this one .. when I was a youngster (many moons ago) my mum was into all this exercise stuff. We did the "shuffle across the floor" deal:-
1) Turn on your record player to "Disco Fever"
2) Sit your bum on plush orange shag-pile carpet
3) Scoot from one bum cheek to the other from one end of the room to the other
4) Do this for several minutes - thus - reducing celulite (yep, like I had that at 14)

oh, and how about the ab wheel??????????