Sweat in eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
> saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?
>
Warning--Some Readers May Find This Gross and Objectionable. Read at your peril.

I'm a profuse head-sweater once the temperature gets above 65 F. I wear a helmet (required here),
the pads of which wick perspiration away. It gets soaked up by the pads, and after 30 min or so, the
pads start to drip. I simply press on the helmet to drain the pads. Messy? Yes. But it keeps the
salt out of my eyes.

Rick

Mark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
> saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?
>

My low-tech solution is to carry a small cotton cloth in my pocket, pull it out and wipe my eyelids.
In a 100 mile training ride I usually only have to do this 3 or 4 times.

Tom

Originally posted by Mark
I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?

I've seen a lot of those guys who squeeze their helmets to their foreheads at the end of a hot ride and get like a waterfall effect coming out of their pads - gross!

I used to wear a cycling cap backwards under my helmet - it worked fine but the only ones I've found in the last 5 years have been made by Pace and they're too small for my head - (one size fits all… right, my head is NOT that big.)

I switched to Headsweats - they work well, they're comfortable and cool, and they help keep the helmet from slipping around on my head (not shaven). Haven't noticed a lot of difference between Headsweats and Santino (?) brands but the CoolMax versions definetely feel cooler than the cotton versions.

Java Man (Espressopithecus) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>>I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
>>saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?
>>
>
> Warning--Some Readers May Find This Gross and Objectionable. Read at your peril.
>
> I'm a profuse head-sweater once the temperature gets above 65 F. I wear a helmet (required here),
> the pads of which wick perspiration away. It gets soaked up by the pads, and after 30 min or so,
> the pads start to drip. I simply press on the helmet to drain the pads. Messy? Yes. But it keeps
> the salt out of my eyes.
>
> Rick

I've been doing that a lot lately. The problem is finding the right angle to flow the sweat away
from the eyes.

My sweat recently destroyed the adhesive keeping the forehead pad on, so now I'm riding without it.
We'll see how it affects the sweat flow, and hopefully I won't have to test how it affects crash
performance. It's a fairly close fit without the pad.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

David Damerell wrote:
> archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>[email protected] says...
>>
>>>That's odd - I find sweat evaporates immediately while riding, and the only problem is carrying a
>>>handkerchief to catch the sweat when stopped - otherwise it collects all the salt off my forehead
>>>and causes me hideous agony when it lands in my eyes.
>>
>>You must ride where the air is dry.
>
>
> In Britain? You jest.

I think you don't sweat as much as some of us do. I ride in Utah, which is very dry, and I have all
the usual problems with sweat. But this is only on climbs, which we have a lot of. As soon as the
road flattens or turns downhill, the only problem is getting the shades clean enough to see well.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in

Replace the forehead pad with a maxipad. You will be amazed at the capacity. Moreover in the
unlikely event you need a second one, there's a discreet environmentally friendly carrying package.

Use a different brand from your wife.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

DiabloScott wrote:
>
> Mark wrote:
> > I sweat a lot when I ride. I wear a bandana (Willie Nelson style not Aunt Jemima) but it gets
> > saturated pretty quick. Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?
>
> I've seen a lot of those guys who squeeze their helmets to their foreheads at the end of a hot
> ride and get like a waterfall effect coming out of their pads - gross!
>
> I used to wear a cycling cap backwards under my helmet - it worked fine but the only ones I've
> found in the last 5 years have been made by Pace and they're too small for my head - (one size
> fits all… right, my head is NOT that big.)
>
> I switched to Headsweats - they work well, they're comfortable and cool, and they help keep the
> helmet from slipping around on my head (not shaven). Haven't noticed a lot of difference between
> Headsweats and Santino (?) brands but the CoolMax versions definetely feel cooler than the cotton
> versions.
>

One other advantage of Headsweats is that, for us chromedomes, they prevent sunburns through the
helmet slots.

Sam

"NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:hw0Ga.167067$M01.78333@sccrnsc02...
> Thanks, I may still go shaved ...not sure ... I just wanted a reprieve from the sweaty eyes and
> nasty sunglasses. Like everyone else... I use a vented helmet so I probably would have to use
> sunblock on my
scalp.
> My eyebrows seem to pool the sweat and insert it directly into the eyes
when
> turning or encountering traffic. If it misses my eyes it definitely gets
the
> sunglasses. I usually make a bad choice and choose to dry the pool in the glasses and
> unfortunately smear sunblock over the lenses. My rant :)
>
> NS>

Try it and report back here on how it has worked out for you.

Dashii

Regular headbands will work, but I like the Polypro ones that you can get from your LBS or mail
order, like performance or Nashbar better.

Even these will get saturated though, A fact that the lovely summers in Dixie proved (in spades!).
So you might want to take two or three. When one gets soaked, take it off and don a dry one while
you hang the wet one on the bars, or somewhere else it can dry while you ride.

This is why I like the synthetic or terry synthetic blends, they dry in the breeze faster.

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

[email protected] (NS>) wrote:

"Do you sweat less with a completely shaved head? Eyebrows? Sounds silly, but I am thinking of
cutting it all off. Only because I am cheap... Or are you more prone to overheat because of the lack
of hair to act as cooling fins (in my technogeek terminology)?

NS> "

You don't sweat less, but the increased airflow over the bare skin may help evaporation.

Speaking of bare skin, if you do adopt a chrome-dome, you might want to remember to apply sunscreen,
or you may end up with a very interesting sunburn on your noggin!

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Diablo Scott wrote:

"I switched to Headsweats - they work well, they're comfortable and cool, and they help keep the
helmet from slipping around on my head (not shaven). Haven't noticed a lot of difference between
Headsweats and Santino (?) brands but the CoolMax versions definetely feel cooler than the cotton
versions. "

How well do those work in hot weather? I would think having more material on your head would keep
heat in and increase sweat. Or is there some cyclo-magic happening here?

P.S. I live in the South East portion of merica (read: hot and humid).

<clipped>
>
> One other advantage of Headsweats is that, for us chromedomes, they prevent sunburns through the
> helmet slots.
>
> Sam

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah that is my concern as well... I would become a "Visitor" like figure from that old Psi-drama...
Or a leopard head from the tanned splotches.

NS

Mark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?

dont stop riding! ;)

im a big sweater myself. it seems that whenever im biking, i keep a pretty good clip going and it
all just blows/evaporates away for me to stay reasonably comfortable. then i stop to go into a
store, or arrive at work, or get home, and i start dripping like i was having the workout of my
life. nevermind the biking sweat! i need a way to stop the 'post-flow'.

cheers

>Mark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>>Anybody have any ideas for keeping the sweat out of your eyes?
>

Smear petroleum jelly above eye brows and nose bridge, and down the ends of eyes; sweat will drain
around the eyes. Works well for me.

Jim

I hit on an easy solution to clean sunglasses. Drip a couple drops of water on them, stir it around
with a fingertip, then blow dry with your breath. Worked great today.

--
--

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>[email protected] says...
>>>>That's odd - I find sweat evaporates immediately while riding,
>>>You must ride where the air is dry.
>>In Britain? You jest.
>I think you don't sweat as much as some of us do.

That would also explain why I have not experienced problems with stuck quill stems. Lucky me.
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

<cut>

I shaved my head. I replaced the foam in the helmet (although the bike shop said it's better to
replace the helmet than replace the pads). It's a Giro Ventoux RL. Ayway I vaselined my eyebrows
(not cut) and all worked great until I stopped at the end of the ride. Sweat poured off of my head
and helmet all over my face like I had turned a faucet on....

I will have to admit the breeze through the helmet and anywhere on my head feels pretty darn good. I
will have to supplement with a cycling cap though or bandana or whatever the cool new term is...

Thanks for the posts....

a bald NS

Status
Not open for further replies.