Sweat in Eyes

isdsms

Sep 21, 2003
With the onslaught of hot weather, hard training almost becomes impossible as sweat rolls into my eyes blinding me. I have tried a headband and recently a cycling cap with increasing success, but still it is very difficult as my eyes burn from sweat. Anyone with suggestions?:confused:

I've used a Headsweat wicking cover in the past, the kind with the little tails in back which pull out the sweat, but switched to a Halo headband (with a built-in sweat "gasket" against the forehead) because covering the head didn't make much sense in the heat.

However, for the last couple of years, the sweat has ceased to burn my eyes. Suppose my sweat isn't as salty now as it just doesn't sting anymore.

I use a Giro Cotton Sweatband.

I sweat profusely from my head and I can 100% assure you that not a drop of sweat will go in to your eyes if you use one.

I found that a sweatband makes me even hotter, and it only postpones the inevitable since it eventually gets saturated and the sweat comes through.

Now I just push my helmet against my head every now and then and that squeezes the sweat out of the little helmet pads and I'm good until the pads resaturate.

Although in recent years I've noticed I don't get all that much sweat in my eyes anymore. I've got a much better helmet now (more holes) and I bet that's a big part of the reason.

Yojimbo_ said:
Now I just push my helmet against my head every now and then and that squeezes the sweat out of the little helmet pads and I'm good until the pads resaturate.

My buddies and I always called that taking a "squeegee break."

My solution to the problem is a bit of old lycra/wicking material from a discarded jersey or something sewn into a thin headband. You can even be color-coordinated this way, which, of course, is the most important benefit.

I was having the same issues and ordered both a Sweat GUTR and a Halo II headband a couple of weeks ago.

Sweat GUTR did next to nothing for me other than make me look like a refugee from an Olivia Newton John video or bad sci-fi movie.

Halo II is working great so far but takes forever to dry after rinsing/washing due to its space age, ultra absorbent composition (TM). I finally gave up on air drying it and started throwing it in the dryer on light heat. It does seem to make me retain a slight bit more heat, but not bad enough to outweigh the benefit of being able to see after 20-30 minutes on the bike. If the skull cap is the made of the same material I think it would be way hot for me.

I can't believe you find sweat by itself to be so bad. Are you using sunblock? Don't put it on over the eyes; let the visor handle keeping the sun off there.

You can't go by what everyone else says though because the more conditioned you are the less electrolytes you excrete, unless you consume lots more as you get more fit, I think. So what someone else experiences may be way different from what you do; they may think their method is tops but may simply not notice the sweat as much.

I think swampy has the best solution; ride faster!

I'm an admittedly profuse sweater as well and a sweatband/skull cap would do me no good because I'm sure even my eyelids drip sweat. I ride with gloves for no reason other than the terry cloth sweat wipers above the thumbs. I bet you could even line your arms with those terry cloth wrist bands, depending on your needs.

I think the best solution is vaseline straight across your eyebrow line. In the summer, I tend to use sunscreen, and it you apply it over your brow line, it hurts like **** if it sweats back down into your eyes. I wear a sweatband, and I put vaseline on my brow. Vaseline is generally inert and will not burn your eyes like suncreen or sweat.I also wear hard contacts so if **** gets in my eyes, it is pretty unbearable.

Good luck.

I wonder if the original poster shaves his eyebrows? I bet cadel Evans doesn't suffer from such issues.

You can be sure that this guy doesn't have the problem.
moz-screenshot.png

Try and add a set of lenses to this equation. Really red eyes. Thank God for goggles with massive tint! Makes you look like a doper, but not the bicycling kind. hehe

isdsms said:
With the onslaught of hot weather, hard training almost becomes impossible as sweat rolls into my eyes blinding me. I have tried a headband and recently a cycling cap with increasing success, but still it is very difficult as my eyes burn from sweat. Anyone with suggestions?:confused:

There is something very important that you may have overlooked here.
Since you are training in hot weather I am assuming you are using a sun cream to prevent skin cancer and sunburn.

You will need to try different sun creams as I have found that its not the sweat that stings your eyes but chemicals from your sun cream washed into your eyes by the sweat.

There is a huge difference between the pain inflicted just by changing your brand of sun protection.

Common problem, don't use sunscreen cream get a SweatHawg helmet liner to manage the perspiration and cover the top of your head. Great for the shaved, the bald, and the balding. Hyper-absorbent, ultra-wicking, comfy and stealthy (in the helmet). Works like nothing else, and no ugly dangling stuff out back! Available online, google it.

good luck
John

neither absorbant caps nor the sweat GUTR worked for me.
but the HALO sweat band works great!
i do need to rarely wring it out, but does the trick for me

dave