Sweat in the eyes... headband or?

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
I'm climbing more now, and enjoying the sting of that SPF30-soaked saline solution as it works its way into my eyes. I especially like it when the first descent accelerates the rate at which it travels down my forehead, blurring my vision at the most opportune of times.

I've tried a Headsweat, which works pretty well. But it's bulky enough so as to mess w/ my helmet's fit. It's a pain to loosen the strap every time I'm going to do a hilly ride (maybe 25% of the time), and then tighten it all back up for the next flatter ride.

Are the Halo headbands any thinner/less obtrusive under the helmet? Any other ideas besides riding with my eyes closed?

kenright

Jul 28, 2004
Aztec said:
I'm climbing more now, and enjoying the sting of that SPF30-soaked saline solution as it works its way into my eyes. I especially like it when the first descent accelerates the rate at which it travels down my forehead, blurring my vision at the most opportune of times.

I've tried a Headsweat, which works pretty well. But it's bulky enough so as to mess w/ my helmet's fit. It's a pain to loosen the strap every time I'm going to do a hilly ride (maybe 25% of the time), and then tighten it all back up for the next flatter ride.

Are the Halo headbands any thinner/less obtrusive under the helmet? Any other ideas besides riding with my eyes closed?
I've been using a bandana, dew rag, whatever you want to call it. It works well for me. Covers the whole head and doesn't interfere with helmet fit. And I am down here in muggy Florida, and I perspire just standing outside.

dhk

Sep 1, 2003
A Pace skullcap with ties and a rear flap is working well for me. It's made of a thin jersey-like material that wicks the sweat away. Much better than the headbands for me....I seem to completely saturate them in 15 minutes or so.

I use a SPF 50 on my face, but never put it on my forehead....nose and below the eyes only. Also, I use a helmet visor in the summer. Provides a lot of sun protection, plus lets you see in a warm rainshower when you have to take the glasses off due to fogging.

leebm

Sep 3, 2003

I don't know about the Halo headbands, but I'm quite found of the Pearl Izumi Aloft headband. I think they are now called the Tech Headband. One size fits all as it's slightly stretchy, but not overly tight. It breathes quite well and is thin.

I always wear one, so I don't run into the helmet strap adjustment situation.

BikeyGuy

Sep 27, 2003
I've used sweat bands, which are better than nothing, but stops there.
Try one of there "DoWraps" All styles and colors. They seem to work the best that I have tried.
http://dowrap.com/
Safe cycling.

serenaslu

Feb 3, 2004
I have been using Headsweats.
http://www.headsweats.com/
Looks like the same general design as the aformentioned DoWraps.

I have the Coolmax ones which seem to wick better than cotton bandanas.

They are a bit pricey but I occasionally see them on sale at Nashbar or Performance.

Smudged visionware is right up there with headwinds for being a bane of the cyclist!

davidbod

Oct 7, 2003
serenaslu said:
I have been using Headsweats.
http://www.headsweats.com/
Looks like the same general design as the aformentioned DoWraps.

I have the Coolmax ones which seem to wick better than cotton bandanas.

They are a bit pricey but I occasionally see them on sale at Nashbar or Performance.

Smudged visionware is right up there with headwinds in the bain of cycling.

I use the headsweats too. They work very well. I have quite a few in 3 different weights, the lightest ones for most riding and then two progressively heavier weight ones for winter.

rmcclure

Jul 11, 2004
Aztec said:

I don't ride without my Halo headband. It is rather thin and doesn't impact the fit of my helmet.

I live in Florida and as a previous poster noted it is very humid.