Sweat in the eyes- how to deal with it?

Sasha Nackovski

Guest
What have people found is the best way to combat sweat in the eyes while
cycling? I have tried a normal sweatband, but found that it interferes with
the fit of my helmet. I was thinking that one of those bandanas used by pro
teams made from "wicking" material (I assume it is the same material that
cycling jerseys are made from) under the helmet would be the way to go. But
where do I buy one of these bandana's in plain non-team color's? I have been
looking for plain black, and can only find black with the usual bits of
flouro pink, green etc.

Any other idea's for dealing with excessive forehead sweat? With warmer
weather approaching (hopefully, I live in Melbourne), this is a serious
problem for me, as I am sure it is for many other cyclists.

Thanks,

Sasha

I use a lycra bandanna from www.groundeffect.co.nz . Previous to that I
used an extra thick chux multicloth. Don't laugh. Not only good for
stopping the sweat rolling down your forehead, but had a multitude of
other uses.

Sasha Nackovski wrote:
> What have people found is the best way to combat sweat in the eyes while
> cycling?
> Thanks,
>
> Sasha

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:37:56 +1000, "Sasha Nackovski"
<sashan(nospam)@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

>What have people found is the best way to combat sweat in the eyes while
>cycling? I have tried a normal sweatband, but found that it interferes with
>the fit of my helmet. I was thinking that one of those bandanas used by pro
>teams made from "wicking" material (I assume it is the same material that
>cycling jerseys are made from) under the helmet would be the way to go. But
>where do I buy one of these bandana's in plain non-team color's? I have been
>looking for plain black, and can only find black with the usual bits of
>flouro pink, green etc.

I use one these bandanas made out of jersey material. It has a cap with kind of
3 tails that you tie together at the back. I actually don't mind the team
colours, it gives a bit more visability - you can never be too bright ! Another
benefit is that the tails give you a bit of protection for your neck, and do
wick a bit of moisture away.

I'd never really go out without it now as the sweat and sunscreen in the eyes is
no fun at all.

davidp.
--
David Pascoe, [email protected], Western Australia

Bit of unusual one, but it does work to some extent

Eat a low salt diet.

Part of your sweat is to get rid of excess salt. A low salt diet will cause
you to sweat less. Also as the sweat is much less salty, it does not sting
your eyes.

The way to do it.

Eat mainly fresh foods.
One processed foods, look for less than 120mg of sodium in the per 100g
column. This includes using low salt bread (needs to be ordered in advance
from most bakeries.

Paul

"Sasha Nackovski" <sashan(nospam)@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What have people found is the best way to combat sweat in the eyes while
> cycling? I have tried a normal sweatband, but found that it interferes

with
> the fit of my helmet. I was thinking that one of those bandanas used by

pro
> teams made from "wicking" material (I assume it is the same material that
> cycling jerseys are made from) under the helmet would be the way to go.

But
> where do I buy one of these bandana's in plain non-team color's? I have

been
> looking for plain black, and can only find black with the usual bits of
> flouro pink, green etc.
>
> Any other idea's for dealing with excessive forehead sweat? With warmer
> weather approaching (hopefully, I live in Melbourne), this is a serious
> problem for me, as I am sure it is for many other cyclists.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sasha

"Sasha Nackovski" <sashan(nospam)@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What have people found is the best way to combat sweat in the eyes while
> cycling? I have tried a normal sweatband, but found that it interferes

with
> the fit of my helmet. I was thinking that one of those bandanas used by

pro
> teams made from "wicking" material (I assume it is the same material that
> cycling jerseys are made from) under the helmet would be the way to go.

But
> where do I buy one of these bandana's in plain non-team color's? I have

been
> looking for plain black, and can only find black with the usual bits of
> flouro pink, green etc.
>
> Any other idea's for dealing with excessive forehead sweat? With warmer
> weather approaching (hopefully, I live in Melbourne), this is a serious
> problem for me, as I am sure it is for many other cyclists.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sasha

I use a Netti headband made from fleecy lycra, takes no space, picks up the
sweat, and it works great for $12

Kevin

Sasha Nackovski wrote:

> What have people found is the best way to combat sweat in the eyes while
> cycling? I have tried a normal sweatband, but found that it interferes with
> the fit of my helmet. I was thinking that one of those bandanas used by pro
> teams made from "wicking" material (I assume it is the same material that
> cycling jerseys are made from) under the helmet would be the way to go. But
> where do I buy one of these bandana's in plain non-team color's? I have been
> looking for plain black, and can only find black with the usual bits of
> flouro pink, green etc.

Try these guys http://www.headsweats.com/

They have what you are lots of colors

Allan

Allan said:
Sasha Nackovski wrote:

> What have people found is the best way to combat sweat in the eyes while
> cycling? I have tried a normal sweatband, but found that it interferes with
> the fit of my helmet. I was thinking that one of those bandanas used by pro
> teams made from "wicking" material (I assume it is the same material that
> cycling jerseys are made from) under the helmet would be the way to go. But
> where do I buy one of these bandana's in plain non-team color's? I have been
> looking for plain black, and can only find black with the usual bits of
> flouro pink, green etc.

Try these guys http://www.headsweats.com/

They have what you are lots of colors

Allan
Develop Johnny-Howard-style eyebrows :)))

not only keeps sweat out but perceptions of reality also kept at arms length ;)

Sasha Nackovski said:
What have people found is the best way to combat sweat in the eyes while
cycling? I have tried a normal sweatband, but found that it interferes with
the fit of my helmet. I was thinking that one of those bandanas used by pro
teams made from "wicking" material (I assume it is the same material that
cycling jerseys are made from) under the helmet would be the way to go. But
where do I buy one of these bandana's in plain non-team color's? I have been
looking for plain black, and can only find black with the usual bits of
flouro pink, green etc.

Any other idea's for dealing with excessive forehead sweat? With warmer
weather approaching (hopefully, I live in Melbourne), this is a serious
problem for me, as I am sure it is for many other cyclists.

Thanks,

Sasha

Bottle of water tipped over the head, TdF climbing style?

powinc wrote:

> Close your eyes before the sweat gets in.
> :rolleyes:

Or....ride slower ;)

--
Nick

Sasha Nackovski said:
What have people found is the best way to combat sweat in the eyes while
cycling? I have tried a normal sweatband, but found that it interferes with
the fit of my helmet. I was thinking that one of those bandanas used by pro
teams made from "wicking" material (I assume it is the same material that
cycling jerseys are made from) under the helmet would be the way to go. But
where do I buy one of these bandana's in plain non-team color's? I have been
looking for plain black, and can only find black with the usual bits of
flouro pink, green etc.

Any other idea's for dealing with excessive forehead sweat? With warmer
weather approaching (hopefully, I live in Melbourne), this is a serious
problem for me, as I am sure it is for many other cyclists.

Thanks,

Sasha
I've also suffered from sweat in the eye and found a bandana works well. The cycle aparel store at Black Rock (can't remember the name) has both team and plain bandanas designed for cycling.