Sweat it out or stay in bed

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
Just came down with a cold. Should I go for a ride and sweat it out or tuck up in bed for a couple of days?

Hi,

When you have fever, NEVER train, and when the fever is gone, don't train intensive for the double of the time you got fever. So 2 days with raised temperature equals 4 days of not intensive rides. The reason for this: the possability of myocarditis: inflamation of the heart.

Then with a cold: as long as it's above the shoulders, and you feel well enough, you could train light, not too intense.

A light recovery training is sometimes better than keeping the bed.

Good luck

Bart

Agree that it's ok to train moderately with a cold. I do no more than a couple hours (1hr most of the time) and don't go above 80% max HR. The most important aspect in getting over a cold for me is to eat lots as your body will need the extra calories as your immune system fights the virus.

Opinions differ a lot on this, but I tend to take a few days off when I am sick, particularly in the winter (when colds seem to be more intense). Every time I have tried to ride easy through a cold it seems to drag on longer. If I just let myself get better, and use the time for some recovery, I seem to get over it in 5 to 7 days. The fitness loss is minimal (and often a good couple of days off break helps to jump start me to the next level).

Your call, but I'm personally done riding through illness. Feel better. :D

Picked up a sinus cold Monday so I am watching this thread. Today is the worst so far, pray tomorrow is better...

I've recently heard that dark chocolate is good for a cough (Don't worry, I don't believe it either). So I got some 85% Dark Chocolate, so at least I am eating well. :p

i just began cycling, but if my cold wasn't too bad i'd go to the gym and sweat hard by running or stationary cycling. after, i'd sit in the sauna for about 15 minutes. i've always felt better afterwards and the cold was gone shortly after. ymmv.

definitely do NOT train in any many if you have a bad fever or feel dizzy. you may do way more damage than good.

feel better!