Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Sweating, thermal efficiency, and other pointless ruminations

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 4 posts · 853 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 April 2007
Last activity
17 April 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
853
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi All,

    Yesterday I had a pleasant evening watching 2006 TdF stage 17 on DVD
    while riding my rollers out in my shed. At one point my wife came out
    to see if I had crashed or something (stage 17 was long!) and she
    commented how hot it had become out in the shed.

    Considering it is a non-insulated shed, and the outside ambient temp
    was around 4C, this was surprising.

    I estimate I had an average power output of about 200-250W. So this
    means I was actually heating up the room with 800-1000W total for
    several hours, correct?

    But I have a theory, based on the fact that I do not sweat that much.
    My theory is that I have a somewhat higher than average thermal
    efficiency while cycling. Is that possible, and if so would sweat
    quantity be any indication of such a thing? At my size, my volume to
    surface area should be working against me as far as keeping cool, but
    I don't seem to have any problems.

    But then again, I don't have any problems staying warm either. I don't
    need anything other than normal cycling shoes and paper thin socks
    until it gets below freezing, and only then if I plan to be out for a
    while.

    So is it possible I have high thermal efficiency? If I do, does it
    have any practical impilcations?

    Joseph

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    Yesterday I had a pleasant evening watching 2006 TdF stage 17 on DVD
    while riding my rollers out in my shed. At one point my wife came out
    to see if I had crashed or something (stage 17 was long!) and she
    commented how hot it had become out in the shed.

    Considering it is a non-insulated shed, and the outside ambient temp
    was around 4C, this was surprising.

    I estimate I had an average power output of about 200-250W. So this
    means I was actually heating up the room with 800-1000W total for
    several hours, correct?

    That sounds about right as 25% is the figure usually used for the
    efficiency of a rider.

    Quoted message said:

    But I have a theory, based on the fact that I do not sweat that much.

    How can you tell though? It might just be that conditions in your
    shed/environment are low in humidity so the sweat evaporates quickly.

    Quoted message said:

    My theory is that I have a somewhat higher than average thermal
    efficiency while cycling. Is that possible, and if so would sweat
    quantity be any indication of such a thing?

    I suppose so but difficult to measure. Perhaps a better test would be
    underwater cycling (on some kind of stationary bicycle probably). The
    water would be in a well-insulated container, and you would measure the
    temperature rise in the water after several hours of "riding".

  3. Ben C said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    Quoted message said:

    Yesterday I had a pleasant evening watching 2006 TdF stage 17 on DVD
    while riding my rollers out in my shed. At one point my wife came out
    to see if I had crashed or something (stage 17 was long!) and she
    commented how hot it had become out in the shed.

    Quoted message said:

    Considering it is a non-insulated shed, and the outside ambient temp
    was around 4C, this was surprising.

    Quoted message said:

    I estimate I had an average power output of about 200-250W. So this
    means I was actually heating up the room with 800-1000W total for
    several hours, correct?

    That sounds about right as 25% is the figure usually used for the
    efficiency of a rider.

    Quoted message said:

    But I have a theory, based on the fact that I do not sweat that much.

    How can you tell though? It might just be that conditions in your
    shed/environment are low in humidity so the sweat evaporates quickly.

    I wasn't thinking in particular about out in the shed. I was making an
    entirely subjective guess based on my observations of other riders out
    on the road, and in spinning sessions. And based on my comparative
    water intake on long rides.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    My theory is that I have a somewhat higher than average thermal
    efficiency while cycling. Is that possible, and if so would sweat
    quantity be any indication of such a thing?

    I suppose so but difficult to measure. Perhaps a better test would be
    underwater cycling (on some kind of stationary bicycle probably). The
    water would be in a well-insulated container, and you would measure the
    temperature rise in the water after several hours of "riding".

    Thermal efficiency I beilve can be calculated by measuring the volume
    and consistency gases in the air breathed during exercise.

    But suppose the thermal efficeincy were "better" or whatever word one
    would qualify it as, what would that mean in terms of what happens in
    the real world?

    Joseph

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    Yesterday I had a pleasant evening watching 2006 TdF stage 17 on DVD
    while riding my rollers out in my shed. At one point my wife came out
    to see if I had crashed or something (stage 17 was long!) and she
    commented how hot it had become out in the shed.

    Considering it is a non-insulated shed, and the outside ambient temp
    was around 4C, this was surprising.

    I estimate I had an average power output of about 200-250W. So this
    means I was actually heating up the room with 800-1000W total for
    several hours, correct?

    But I have a theory, based on the fact that I do not sweat that much.
    My theory is that I have a somewhat higher than average thermal
    efficiency while cycling. Is that possible, and if so would sweat
    quantity be any indication of such a thing? At my size, my volume to
    surface area should be working against me as far as keeping cool, but
    I don't seem to have any problems.

    But then again, I don't have any problems staying warm either. I don't
    need anything other than normal cycling shoes and paper thin socks
    until it gets below freezing, and only then if I plan to be out for a
    while.

    So is it possible I have high thermal efficiency? If I do, does it
    have any practical impilcations?

    Biochemistry is pretty consistent across our species. And for a long
    period, heat storage or transfer rapidity won't be an issue. What might
    be related is how efficiently you work. That is, keeping muscles loose
    that shouldn't be working. Perhaps decreasing other non-work loads,
    like GI tract, kidneys, brain,... 🙂

    My guess is you're probably not that different. Weather, clothing, and
    training are more likely reasons.

    -f

    --

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.