Sweden

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Frans Smulders, Apr 9, 2005.

  1. We plan to visit Sweden next summer. What bike should I bring atb or
    roadrace? What state are the roads in Mid-Sweden?

    Frans

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Frans Smulders wrote:

    > We plan to visit Sweden next summer. What bike should I bring atb or
    > roadrace? What state are the roads in Mid-Sweden?

    It depends what you mean by "roadrace" bike, what you want to do,
    where exactly you are going.

    I had no trouble with my touring bike and 700 x 32 tires on paved and
    unpaved roads in central and southern Sweden. If you have 700 x 20 tires
    there are still lots of good paved roads. I saw lots of "racers" training.

    But Sweden is a large country by European standards, and even in
    mid/south Sweden (south of 60 deg) there is a great variety of terrain,
    Extreme southern Sweden (Skåne) is more like Denmark.

    I've cycled in Sweden 3 times and would gladly go again if it wasn't
    such a hassle to get there from here. Stories of my 1994 and 1996
    trips on my WWW pages. I promise I WILL SOON complete the story of my 2002
    trip :)

    --

    David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
    email: [email protected]

  3. My road racer is a cannondale F700 3*9 with 700-23 tires at 7-9 bar

    Frans
    "David Dermott" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:p[email protected]

  4. On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Frans Smulders wrote:

    > My road racer is a cannondale F700 3*9 with 700-23 tires at 7-9 bar
    >

    > > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Frans Smulders wrote:
    > >
    > >> We plan to visit Sweden next summer. What bike should I bring atb or
    > >> roadrace? What state are the roads in Mid-Sweden?

    Hmm, still no other replies, especially from riders in Sweden??

    I'm sure that you will be able to find many good roads in central
    Sweden suitable for 700-23 tires.

    You could try asking on the news-group "swnet.sport.cykel". Although
    the main language on swnet.sport.cykel is Swedish they don't seem to
    mind a posting in English. One of their regulars is an Englishman
    living in Sweden (Mora, I think). He often posts in English himself.

    If you give details about exact locations in Sweden, they might be
    able to give you names of local cycling clubs for training partners.
    There are lot of Swedish clubs that do serious training rides. The main
    cycling events in Sweden are "motionlopp" or non-timed
    mass-participation "races". The largest (which every serious cyclist
    must ride at least once!) is 300km which has about 17000 riders.
    I think this year it will be on June 17.
    See: http://www.cyklavaettern.com/

    --

    WWW pages: http://www.dermott.ca/
    or: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/