Sweet 2003 Weyless Custom Disc Bike (on the cheap...)

Status

B. Sanders

Guest
I've been wanting to build up a hardtail with discs for a while now. I finally put it together last
week, and I'm proud of how it turned out, and how little I ended up paying for it.

The setup is 2003 Weyless Ultra 3.4 lb frame, 01 Manitou Mars Super fork, RaceFace LP cranks, XTR
rear der, Avid mech front disc, Grimeca rear disc, Sun 0 Deg Lite/Ritchey Comp/XT wheels, LX
shifters, XT levers, RockShox susp. post, WTB SST saddle. Without pedals, it's about 24 lbs (honest
weight). My total cost for the bike is $549, sans pedals. (I ride BeBop's, which ain't cheap.)

The frame and most of the components are brand new. Some are like new. The 2003 Weyless Ultra frame
was purchased on Ebay for $99 (it was a warranty replacement for a broken 2002 model). The RaceFace
cranks were a warranty replacement from a bike that I parted out (sold the high-end frame, kept the
parts). The rest were purchased from Ebay, JensonUSA, Nashbar and PricePoint. I look for great
deals, and keep a stock of parts for these kinds of project bikes. It's a good way to be a
cheapskate and still ride sweet bikes :)

How does it ride? Like buttah. I love the Weyless (Supergo) frame, even more than I thought I would.
It was redesigned by Easton engineers for 2003, and it shows. I wasn't sure about the Mars fork
(lots of bad reviews on MTBR.com); but it hasn't leaked air or oil, and works beautifully. The
lockout feature is great. It's the best fork I've ever owned (so far).

This bike was built as a test mule for disc brakes. The discs added about 3 lbs to the bike. My
Klein Attitude has basic Avid 1D V-brakes. So far, the V-brakes outperform the discs in every way
for the type of riding that I do (it's pretty flat around here). I'm giving them a fair chance - let
'em break-in, and see which type I prefer. I had always heard that discs modulate better than V's.
So far, that hasn't been true. I think I prefer V-brakes.

-Barry

D Heath

Guest
"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
> This bike was built as a test mule for disc brakes. The discs added about
3
> lbs to the bike. My Klein Attitude has basic Avid 1D V-brakes. So far,
the
> V-brakes outperform the discs in every way for the type of riding that I
do
> (it's pretty flat around here). I'm giving them a fair chance - let 'em break-in, and see which
> type I prefer. I had always heard that discs modulate better than V's. So far, that hasn't been
> true. I think I
prefer
> V-brakes.

At least in my experience, the modulation gain is with hydraulic discs. I tried the Avid
mechanicals first, and they were better just because they had more stopping power. However, they
didn't compare to the Hayes hydraulics I switched to. Without a doubt, my technical skills have
come a long way after switching to hydros. I'm never going back. By the way, get EBC green pads
if you want good wear combined with great modulation. (And they are quieter too.)
--
Off to ride the mountains, Dale Heath To reply, poke out my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.