Sweet spot outdoor

matt76

Dec 28, 2012
When I do sweet spot intervalls indoor on a trainer I try to keep my power output on the same level through out the work out. ( for example @ 220 watts) Yesterday I did 60 minutes sweet spot outdoor. My average watt was 221 or 232 if I excluded the 8 % I wasn't pedaling. My NP was 242. As you can see The variation in output was big. Putting in more power going uphill and less going downhill. Is this how it should be done? Or should I try harder to keep power at the same level in the workout?

So VI=242/221=1.09 I'd call that significant.

Also, SST is more of a concept than a particular wattage target. While you don't mention what your FTP is, I'm inclined to say that if you can go out and do something similar the next day, you're probably close enough.

When you do your SST indoors what does your heart rate look like? When you do your SST outdoors what does your heart rate look like? Just paying attention to power does not tell much.

As a first guess, if your average power is about the same indoors and outdoors, you get pretty much the same training benefit. Don't but into the NP stuff. It does not work.