Sweets To Go

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Corzhens, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

My old habit was to have a candy in my mouth when I go riding. A co-rider said that it is not good because the sugar would tend to make the throat dry. When I stopped having candy in my mouth, the energy in my body seemed to have waned. I don't know if it is psychological or really physical but the reason I quit candy was the discovery of diabetes of my niece.

Tags:
    nonicenevezg77 likes this.

2. Runnerdo

Runnerdo New Member

Sweets give one a burst of energy and I take them when riding. I haven't experienced a dry throat as a result yet as I take my water bottle with me when I go. I wonder how true that one is.

3. gavinfree

gavinfree Member

If you're just sucking on a candy or something, then you're definitely feeling a psychological effect rather anything that's giving you a real boost. Sure, sugar will give you a quick boost of energy, but it's often negligible compared to if you were actually consuming something that would give you lasting energy on a cycling ride.

Corzhens likes this.
  4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

Marmelade is a good option, not only is more or less healthy (sure, it has tons of sugar), but also gives a nice boost of energy.

5. Keyan

Keyan Member

What if you choke on that candy while cycling maybe because you got startled by an incoming car or something hahaha. I think the simple sugar in that candy gave you an instant lift. I can consider taking a quick bite of anything while resting but not while riding.

Corzhens likes this.
  6. Corzhens

Do not laugh but that choking can happen. Actually it did happen once although I was not choked when I accidentally swallowed the candy, fortunately it was already small and round. But I believe that the sugar gives me a boost of energy as I go along my way, pumping the pedals while my mouth is sucking the candy of its sweet flavor. But I had stopped that habit when my niece was discovered to have diabetes as age 15. It might run in the family so that makes me careful now with sweets.

7. sunshiney

sunshiney Member

I don't normally suck on candies while I ride, although I can see how the sugar might give you a quick boost, even if it's just a mental thing. If you're looking for alternatives to something sweet, I like to pack a couple of protein bars on tough rides to keep my energy up. Similar to a sugar hit but a little healthier for you and will keep you going for longer.

If you need something diabetes friendly, SoLo Energy bars are low glycemic and not too bad as far as carbs and sugar.

8. joshposh

joshposh Banned

Your throat is dry after you have sucked on the candy because you are swallowing your own saliva to melt down the candy. The candy needs a wet substance in order for it to break down and melt down your throat.

Candy is sugar and it is good for a short burst of energy and you feel sluggish afterwards. You should think about digesting a better form of complex carbs and not refined sugar for these rides.

9. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports New Member

I use fruits as my sweets rather than candy. I have noticed that it helps me more.

10. rcdpink

rcdpink New Member

It's best if you have something less sugary and more starchy when you're on the road are riding. Sugar has that effect of granting you a very quick boost of energy and then it brings you to a slump.

11. 9lines

9lines Member

I don't like eating anything while riding, not only riding, but even while at the gym. I fear that by breathing heavily I risk being choked. I also think that I risk the effects of lactic acid and glucose while practising. If you have to eat candy, I suppose that it should be after riding.

12. SapnaTheBaller3

SapnaTheBaller3 New Member

Try to use an alternative such as fruit for a boost, much healthier as well. However I see no problem with a candy as if I causes dry throat you should be carrying water anyways.

13. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Lately I have been carrying with me dried apricots and figs, they are really delicious and they bring a lot of energy.

14. chrislee99777

chrislee99777 Member

I love candy too~~but is easily got diabetes:confused:

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

While I do occasionally eat when I'm out on the bike, I always make sure that it's when I'm stationary and have a drink at the same time, exactly for that choking reason that people have already mentioned.

Your definitely more likely to choke on or have to cough out whatever it is your chewing when your still finding and eating so I wouldn't say it's something that's really recommended.

16. oportosanto

Yep, that's my case too. Usually I make short rides that really don't require eating and drinking. If I take the kids I can stop someplace and grab something to eat.

17. Corzhens

I understand your concern because it can happen. But I only eat candy when I was riding short distances, more of a leisure ride. When I ride for long distances that would make me pant and gasp for breath, I don't think eating a candy is a good idea. But I used to have candy all the time and I can suck on it during pitstops. I really felt being energized by the sugar.

18. oportosanto

It all depends on how long we are riding. If we just need a quick fix, some chocolate does the trick, but if we still have hours of riding ahead we need more lasting energy.

19. Personablue

Personablue New Member

You should always bring a packet of sweets while cycling. In fact you should always carry sweets with you. Sometimes due to metabolic defects you can undergo bouts of hypoglycemia. Especially the diabetes people are at risk. Due to over insulin they frequenly undergo bouts of low glucose level. You can get unconscious instantly.

20. oportosanto

lol we should always carry sweets with us? People with diabetes eventually, but sweets and sugar are one of the biggest cancers of our society.