Swelling of hands in a man, what causes this.

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Don, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    I am a male and 32. I have been working at loosing weight.
    Yesterday afternoon, I was able to put my wedding ring on
    and off without trouble. This morning before leaving for
    work I tried it and it would hardly go over my knuckle and I
    had to wet my finger to get it off.

    What would cause this and is it anything to be
    concerned about?

    Tags:

  2. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Don writes:

    > I am a male and 32. I have been working at loosing weight.
    > Yesterday afternoon, I was able to put my wedding ring on
    > and off without trouble. This morning before leaving for
    > work I tried it and it would hardly go over my knuckle and
    > I had to wet my finger to get it off.
    >
    > What would cause this and is it anything to be
    > concerned about?

    Hard to say without a lot more information. Any other
    symptoms? Is the swelling present elsewhere besides your
    hands (face, feet, ankles, belly)? If you press on the area
    that is swollen, does it leave a dent for a while or does it
    bounce right back? Does it hurt? Is it red or warm? What
    have you eaten in the past 48 hours?

    Lots of details missing.

    If your hand were really badly swollen, you would not
    have been able to move the ring at all, so it doesn't
    sound too severe.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach
    me directly.

  3. ["Followup-To:" header set to sci.med.nursing.]
    On 2004-03-10, Don <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am a male and 32. I have been working at loosing weight.
    > Yesterday afternoon, I was able to put my wedding ring on
    > and off without trouble. This morning before leaving for
    > work I tried it and it would hardly go over my knuckle and
    > I had to wet my finger to get it off.
    >
    > What would cause this and is it anything to be
    > concerned about?

    It's quite common for some swelling to occur after extended
    periods of inactivity; muscle action is what helps move this
    fluid back into the circulatory system. Unless the swelling
    doesn't resolve in a few hours I wouldn't be too concerned.

    --

    -John ([email protected])

  4. In sci.med.nursing Don <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I am a male and 32. I have been working at loosing weight.
    : Yesterday afternoon, I was able to put my wedding ring on
    : and off without trouble. This morning before leaving for
    : work I tried it and it would hardly go over my knuckle and
    : I had to wet my finger to get it off.

    : What would cause this and is it anything to be
    : concerned about?

    taking any meds?

    Emma