Swift Brooks saddle plus Thompson seat post

Wayne T

Guest
I find I prefer leather saddles. Any opinions on the Swift Brooks leather saddle? Also, Thompson
seat post. My Ideale got caught in the rain and is distorted. So, unless someone can tell me how to
fix existing saddle, I may have to replace it. The combined price for Swift saddle plus Thompson
seat post is $200. Save almost 15 pounds in weight over my current set up. From the consensus here,
it appears that the price might not be worth the weight savings. However, it sounds like the
presoftened Swift saddle may be broken in better than a Brooks leather saddle with steal rails and
frame as opposed to Ti for the Swift.

Wayne T <[email protected]> wrote:
>have to replace it. The combined price for Swift saddle plus Thompson seat post is $200. Save
>almost 15 pounds in weight over my current set up.

15 _pounds_? What's your current saddle made of, granite?

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:VFn*[email protected]...
> Wayne T <[email protected]> wrote:
> >have to replace it. The combined price for Swift saddle plus Thompson
seat
> >post is $200. Save almost 15 pounds in weight over my current set up.
>
> 15 _pounds_? What's your current saddle made of, granite?

NO, but I think my brain is. I meant 15 Ozs. And I am getting the impression that a Swift Ti saddle
might be a bad move since it seems that Ti saddles tend to have fairly high frequency of failures.
Also, it appears that the Brooks B17 may be a better choice since it is for long tours rather than
constant aggressive riding that the Swift is made for. Also, the Swift seems a bit too narrow.

What about Thomson seat posts? Do they hold up OK?
> --
> David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

Thanks. I was concerned about getting the Swift for fear that the Ti rails would not hold up.
Curious, do you find the seat wide enough? It appears to be narrower than the Brooks B-17 or the
Pro. Nice to hear that the Thompson seat post is very strong. "Ambishawn" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> I've had My Brooks Swift saddle on My last 2 mountain bikes and am
considering
> one for My new road bike. Gotta tell you this funny story. When I first
bought
> My Brooks saddle back in 1999 I had My Bike and my wifes on a Thule roof
rack.
> Was looking for a Hotel at the beach and ran into a covered parking
structure
> ripping both bikes out of there carriers. There was a low spot in the
stucture
> that was covered in dry wall. My bike was hanging in the hole that the
seat
> made in the drywall. My wifes Coda seat was ripped off the seat's rails
and
> destroyed. The Brooks seat only had drywall dust on it and minor scratches
in
> the leather. Belive Me this seat is very tough and the seat rails have a
nice
> shock absorbing effect to them. Who knows how many miles the seat accually
has
> on it (atleast 5000) Very comfortable even before I had it broken in. I'm thinking about putting
> the seat on My new Crown Jewel road bike I'm building,but want the Maroon one instead of black for
> that bike. I'm going
for