Swim course Marker buoy

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Tom Henderson, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Hello all,

    Our Tri Club runs a training group every summer targeted at first time triathletes. I coordinated th
    training last summer and will do it again this year. One of the improvements I want to make this
    year is to get rid of the buoys we have been using and replace them with something that can be
    inflated/deflated more quickly.

    The old buoys are rounded 6' diameter 4' tall cylinders with little tiny inflation ports just like
    the ones you'd find on a raft or a kids water toy. It takes almost an hour to inflate two of them,
    and another half hour to deflate them.

    I'm looking for the big triangular buoys that can be inflated through a 2" hole using a leaf blower.
    Anyone know where these can be found?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The old buoys are rounded 6' diameter 4' tall cylinders with little tiny inflation ports just like
    >the ones you'd find on a raft or a kids water toy. It takes almost an hour to inflate two of them,
    >and another half hour to deflate them.

    How are you inflating them now? Those buoys are roughly 110cubit feet - you can get scuba tanks of
    that size.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  3. [email protected] (Jason O'Rourke) wrote in news:b58cu7$td3$1 @agate.berkeley.edu:

    > Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>The old buoys are rounded 6' diameter 4' tall cylinders with little tiny inflation ports just like
    >>the ones you'd find on a raft or a kids water toy. It takes almost an hour to inflate two of them,
    >>and another half hour to deflate them.
    >
    > How are you inflating them now? Those buoys are roughly 110cubit feet - you can get scuba tanks of
    > that size.

    An air compressor. The problem is that the inflation prot is just too small. We used tetrahedron
    buoys with 2" ports on race day and inflated 8 of them with a leaf blower in less than five minutes.

  4. Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >An air compressor. The problem is that the inflation prot is just too small. We used
    >tetrahedron buoys with 2" ports on race day and inflated 8 of them with a leaf blower in less
    >than five minutes.

    You can fill a car tire in mere seconds. I think its that compressor. But it may be easier to get
    buoys with bigger ports for your leaf blower.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  5. Sherpa Bob

    Sherpa Bob Guest

    [email protected] (Jason O'Rourke) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >An air compressor. The problem is that the inflation prot is just too small. We used tetrahedron
    > >buoys with 2" ports on race day and inflated 8 of them with a leaf blower in less than five
    > >minutes.
    >
    > You can fill a car tire in mere seconds. I think its that compressor. But it may be easier to get
    > buoys with bigger ports for your leaf blower.

    Tom:

    One other thing to try first, if you haven't tried it already:

    Compressors put out high pressure, but low volume. A leaf blower puts out low pressure, but high
    volume. Go out and spend $20 on the small electric air pump, the kind used to inflate inflatable
    mattresses, etc. Even though the port on the buoy is small, because the pump is doing the higher
    volume / lower pressure thing, you may still find that inflation time is acceptable. And if it
    doesn't work, you can return it... You should be able to pick one up in any dept. store that sells
    basic camping stuff, especially at this time of year. Plus, they are often reversible, so you can
    use it for deflating too.

    If you try it, post an update - I'm curious as to whether the small port or the type of pump is the
    bigger factor.

    Bob

  6. [email protected] (Jason O'Rourke) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > You can fill a car tire in mere seconds. I think its that compressor. But it may be easier to get
    > buoys with bigger ports for your leaf blower.

    This buoy has more volume than most cars, much less the tires. Sherpa Bob's observations are correct
    about the limited volume the pump is capable of. I've also used the camping pump, but it still takes
    forever. Got a quote on exactly the type buoy I'm looking for today. $250.00. Yikes. 5.5 foot tall
    tetrahedron, inflates with a leaf blower in about 30 seconds.

  7. Jaeger

    Jaeger Guest

    [email protected] (Sherpa Bob) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Jason O'Rourke) wrote in message

    Bob email me at home at [email protected] and I will get you the info about the site for the
    tetrahedral buoys. Also inflator info for your current buoy. I"m not home and by the time I get
    there I will forget. Old age stuff. Brad