swimer's ear

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Franklin Mitche, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. I have a question and I hope this board might be able to help. I'm new to swimming and have just
    learned this past year. twice within the past six weeks or so I have developed in my left year what
    I guess would be considered swimer's ear. I was wondering how to clear it up, 2ndly how to prevent
    it from recuurring, and 3rdly is it a bad idea to go back in the water before it clears up, I've had
    the feeling in the ear for about a week now.

    Thanks for any input

    frank

    Tags:

  2. Diablo

    Diablo Guest

    people will probably tell you to try various mixtures of alcohol, glycerine, cows urine etc...

    easier just to go to Target or Walmart and buy a product called Auro-dri. works well. make sure you
    dry the ear as well as you can after swimming or showering, but you may just be more susceptilbe to
    it (like my wife..she was a competitive diver, and gets SE from showering still).

    Auro-dri is cheap and works.

    "Franklin Mitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a question and I hope this board might be able to help. I'm new to swimming and have just
    > learned this past year. twice within the past six weeks or so I have developed in my left year
    > what I guess would be considered swimer's ear. I was wondering how to clear it up, 2ndly how to
    > prevent it from recuurring, and 3rdly is it a bad idea to go back in the water before it clears
    > up, I've had the feeling in the ear for about a week now.
    >
    > Thanks for any input
    >
    > frank

  3. Mouff

    Mouff Guest

    [email protected] (Franklin Mitchell) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a question and I hope this board might be able to help. I'm new to swimming and have just
    > learned this past year. twice within the past six weeks or so I have developed in my left year
    > what I guess would be considered swimer's ear. I was wondering how to clear it up, 2ndly how to
    > prevent it from recuurring, and 3rdly is it a bad idea to go back in the water before it clears
    > up, I've had the feeling in the ear for about a week now.

    I haven't tried it yet, but on of my friends told me about BuroSol. You just put a few drops before
    going in the water and you don't have any more problems. He used to frequently have swimer's ear but
    he has'n had any more since he's used it.

    http://www.teamdrugs.com/securestore/c153857p9714073.2.html
    https://www.feelbest.com/shop/product_display.cfm?itemid=05546000017

    Good luck!! Mouff

  4. Clearing it up will probably require a trip to the doctor and some antibiotic drops.

    Preventing it, there are a variety of commercial products that work fine. Home version is a
    solution of alcohol and vinegar, alcohol to dry it, vinegar to make it acidic to prevent
    fungal/bacterial growth.

    Once you got it, it needs to get cleared up before getting back in the water...if not treated, it
    can lead to serious problems.

    "Franklin Mitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a question and I hope this board might be able to help. I'm new to swimming and have just
    > learned this past year. twice within the past six weeks or so I have developed in my left year
    > what I guess would be considered swimer's ear. I was wondering how to clear it up, 2ndly how to
    > prevent it from recuurring, and 3rdly is it a bad idea to go back in the water before it clears
    > up, I've had the feeling in the ear for about a week now.
    >
    > Thanks for any input
    >
    > frank

  5. Tbone

    Tbone Guest