Swimming as Cross Training?

sathomasga

Jul 29, 2003
Curious to see if folks here have any experience or opinions on swimming as cross training during the off-season. I like the idea of doing something that's more upper body focussed to get a little balance between upper and lower body fitness. Not weight-bearing, so it doesn't help the bones much. Ought to be good for flexibility, though.

Stephen

Might help keep you in shape; won't help you cycle faster.

I found swimming helpful. I did about 3-4 swimming workouts a week last summer, while I was also riding 5 days a week. It's cool b/c you can feel very fit on the bike but once you get in the water you realize that you don't have as much all around fitness as you thought. 2Lap's right, it won't help your cycling that much, although it def. improves stamina.

Originally posted by sathomasga
Curious to see if folks here have any experience or opinions on swimming as cross training during the off-season. I like the idea of doing something that's more upper body focussed to get a little balance between upper and lower body fitness. Not weight-bearing, so it doesn't help the bones much. Ought to be good for flexibility, though.

Stephen

I read somewhere recently that almost any off-season training greatly diminishes the rate at which you lose fitness. Swimming is a very good all body exercise. It has been said that swimming exercises more muscles than any other sport. Especially if you rotate through all four strokes during your workout.

I believe the important thing is to find something that refreshes you mentally so you have the enthusiasm to take on a new year's training goals.

I find swimming very useful in winter. You can only do so much riding on the windtrainer and in the dark.

Swimming might not help the legs much but it keeps the heart fit. I also believe that it helps with breathing technique.