Swimming goggles - which?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by JR, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. JR

    JR Guest

    Hi, I'm new here :)

    I swim quite often, 4-5 times a week. I had the Arena X-Ray training
    for about 10 months. They were quite good, comfortable at first, but
    after few months the silicone (or whatever it is) was getting harder and
    harder. Now, I have some Eyeline (model Lotus I think...) goggles (given
    as a Christmas present from my sister-in-law, I don't like, when
    somebody chooses for me something what depends on personal factors...).
    Well, they LOOK comfortable, but they aren't.
    So, I've got a question. Which goggles do you recommend? I am not a
    competitive swimmer (not yet ;]), just training for fun. I guess it
    would be speedo? But which model?
    Also, I would like to know, how do you protect from fog? There is some
    Speedo liquid, which I used, but it wasn't very efficient.

    Thanks in advance.
    Regards.

    Tags:

  2. > So, I've got a question. Which goggles do you recommend? I am not a
    > competitive swimmer (not yet ;]), just training for fun. I guess it
    > would be speedo? But which model?

    Goggles-goggles-goggles...

    I tried many different types (including Swedish and Tyr Socket Rockets)
    and settled on Speedo Sengar, clear for nighttime, mirrored for
    daytime. YMMV, of course. They're "one size fits all" so my face must
    be the "one size."

    The different styles always leaked (predominantly in the left eye on
    every pair) until someone who wears contacts lenses told me to put them
    on when I get in the pool (they never leaked when first put on) and not
    touch them again until I get out of the pool. This can be
    uncomfortable/painful at times, but becomes bearable and it solved the
    leaking problem.

    Rik

  3. Meagan

    Meagan Guest

    After developing an allergic reaction to the foam on the old Hinds Compy
    goggles that I loved and used for years, my son suggested I just wear what
    he wears--Sweedish. I balked at first, but he assured me that after a few
    times, they would become comfortable. I love them. There is no foam to mess
    with and I have used the same pair for a long time, eventually replacing the
    straps that come with them due to deterioration with a single silicon strap.
    When I get them on my face right, they are comfortable and do not leak. They
    are also very inexpensive compared to some of the others out there and with
    the silicon strap, they appear as though they will last forever. They are
    definitely a "no frills" model.

    Marianne

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> So, I've got a question. Which goggles do you recommend? I am not a
    >> competitive swimmer (not yet ;]), just training for fun. I guess it
    >> would be speedo? But which model?

    > Goggles-goggles-goggles...
    >
    > I tried many different types (including Swedish and Tyr Socket Rockets)
    > and settled on Speedo Sengar, clear for nighttime, mirrored for
    > daytime. YMMV, of course. They're "one size fits all" so my face must
    > be the "one size."
    >
    > The different styles always leaked (predominantly in the left eye on
    > every pair) until someone who wears contacts lenses told me to put them
    > on when I get in the pool (they never leaked when first put on) and not
    > touch them again until I get out of the pool. This can be
    > uncomfortable/painful at times, but becomes bearable and it solved the
    > leaking problem.
    >
    > Rik

  4. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    > After developing an allergic reaction to the foam on the old Hinds Compy
    > goggles that I loved and used for years, my son suggested I just wear what
    > he wears--Sweedish. I balked at first, but he assured me that after a few
    > times, they would become comfortable. I love them. There is no foam to
    > mess with and I have used the same pair for a long time, eventually
    > replacing the straps that come with them due to deterioration with a
    > single silicon strap. When I get them on my face right, they are
    > comfortable and do not leak. They are also very inexpensive compared to
    > some of the others out there and with the silicon strap, they appear as
    > though they will last forever. They are definitely a "no frills" model.
    >
    > Marianne

    I like them too, but they seem to fog up faster than any other model. Today,
    I just put up with looking through the fog because they are so comfortable.
    I have tried 3 different brands of anti-fog liquid, including one for scuba
    masks. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get these Swedish ones to be
    fog free.

    Pat in TX

  5. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    > So, I've got a question. Which goggles do you recommend? I am not a
    > competitive swimmer (not yet ;]), just training for fun. I guess it would
    > be speedo? But which model?
    > Also, I would like to know, how do you protect from fog? There is some
    > Speedo liquid, which I used, but it wasn't very efficient.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Regards.

    There are different types of goggles: some fit inside the eye socket and
    other fit outside. That is the first thing you need to decide--which style
    feels comfortable to you. Then, at the store, try on every single one!
    Whenever some new model comes out, that is what I do--try it on. Also, some
    people like a wide angle of vision and others do not find a narrow field
    objectionable. I do not like dark areas at the outsides of my eyes, but many
    of the goggles are for racing and evidently want the swimmer to look
    straight ahead only. I like peripheral vision.

    Right now, I am using the "Ultimate Swim Goggle" which you can see at
    www.campmor.com I also have a pair of Barracuda goggles with the white foam
    seals. I can wear them, but I am not comfortable in them since I am always
    expecting them to slide sideways. They work by the foam forming to fit your
    individual face. I guess I would rather have the suction fit of the Ultimate
    Swim Goggles.

    As for the anti-fog liquid, good luck. I have tried many and time and again
    I come back to using plain ol' spit....

    Pat in TX

  6. JR

    JR Guest

    Pat in TX wrote:

    > Right now, I am using the "Ultimate Swim Goggle" which you can see at
    > www.campmor.com I also have a pair of Barracuda goggles with the white foam
    > seals.

    Well, it`s kinda hard to buy that goggles in my country (even the
    mentioned Speedo Sengar), I presume you're from US? Quite poor choice
    here, in Poland. I can get the Speedo Swedish, which look quite nice for
    me and they`re exactly what I want. However, as you said, I'm going to
    try them at the shop.
    And one more question, mirrored goggles are for daytime use? Due to
    this, that I swim in the evening, are they somehow reflect the swimming
    pool lightening?

    > I have tried many and time and again I come back to using plain ol' spit....

    I heard that spit is the best, but I always forgot to do that -.- .

    Thanks for help.
    Regards,

  7. Martin Smith

    Martin Smith Guest

    JR wrote:

    > Pat in TX wrote:
    >
    >> Right now, I am using the "Ultimate Swim Goggle" which you can see at
    >> www.campmor.com I also have a pair of Barracuda goggles with the
    >> white foam seals.

    > Well, it`s kinda hard to buy that goggles in my country (even the
    > mentioned Speedo Sengar), I presume you're from US? Quite poor choice
    > here, in Poland. I can get the Speedo Swedish, which look quite nice for
    > me and they`re exactly what I want. However, as you said, I'm going to
    > try them at the shop.

    If you go to one of the pools where kids swim clubs train, the coaches
    will have access to distributors of swimming equipment, and you can
    probably buy goggles from them.

    > And one more question, mirrored goggles are for daytime use? Due to
    > this, that I swim in the evening, are they somehow reflect the swimming
    > pool lightening?

    They are for outdoors.

    >> I have tried many and time and again I come back to using plain ol'
    >> spit....

    > I heard that spit is the best, but I always forgot to do that -.- .
    >
    > Thanks for help.
    > Regards,

  8. Steph

    Steph Guest

    "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> After developing an allergic reaction to the foam on the old Hinds
    >> Compy goggles that I loved and used for years, my son suggested I
    >> just wear what he wears--Sweedish. I balked at first, but he assured
    >> me that after a few times, they would become comfortable. I love
    >> them. There is no foam to mess with and I have used the same pair for
    >> a long time, eventually replacing the straps that come with them due
    >> to deterioration with a single silicon strap. When I get them on my
    >> face right, they are comfortable and do not leak. They are also very
    >> inexpensive compared to some of the others out there and with the
    >> silicon strap, they appear as though they will last forever. They are
    >> definitely a "no frills" model.
    >>
    >> Marianne

    > I like them too, but they seem to fog up faster than any other model.
    > Today, I just put up with looking through the fog because they are so
    > comfortable. I have tried 3 different brands of anti-fog liquid,
    > including one for scuba masks. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to
    > get these Swedish ones to be fog free.
    >
    > Pat in TX

    My own fog story is I used my 1-piece speedo UltraVision goggles for
    years. The foam was in good shape and I loved them - they never leaked.

    Then the inevitable for those 1 piece plastic things - they broke at the
    nose bridge :-((

    I found a store with some new ones (not easy as they are discontinued)
    and was shocked at the unfogged view. Swimming was so much more
    enjoyable. Unfortnuately it didn't last, they began to fog like any
    other pair.

    I tried the Speedo anti-fog spray and follwed the directions rinsing
    afterwards. No luck. Then one day I sprayed the anti-fog on them and
    didn't rinse but let it dry until the next day.

    The whole swim clear as a bell.
    So now I regularly rinse them in cold water after a swim, spray with
    anti-fog and hang off the bag to dry.

    If I do get any water in the next time out I only need to remember to
    rinse them immediately so none of the anti-fog solution rehydrates and
    gets in my eye (it stings). But even then I usually do not have trouble
    with fogging.

    Clear lenses make such a difference!

  9. Martin Smith

    Martin Smith Guest

    I can't imagine the frustration. When I get foggy goggles, I rub them
    out with my finger. I seldom have to do it more than once a workout.

    I use speedo goggles. I don't know the model, but everything but the
    lenses is silicon. It is always the strap that breaks in the end, but
    they always last about three years.

    Steph wrote:

    > "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    >>>After developing an allergic reaction to the foam on the old Hinds
    >>>Compy goggles that I loved and used for years, my son suggested I
    >>>just wear what he wears--Sweedish. I balked at first, but he assured
    >>>me that after a few times, they would become comfortable. I love
    >>>them. There is no foam to mess with and I have used the same pair for
    >>>a long time, eventually replacing the straps that come with them due
    >>>to deterioration with a single silicon strap. When I get them on my
    >>>face right, they are comfortable and do not leak. They are also very
    >>>inexpensive compared to some of the others out there and with the
    >>>silicon strap, they appear as though they will last forever. They are
    >>>definitely a "no frills" model.
    >>>
    >>>Marianne

    >>I like them too, but they seem to fog up faster than any other model.
    >>Today, I just put up with looking through the fog because they are so
    >>comfortable. I have tried 3 different brands of anti-fog liquid,
    >>including one for scuba masks. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to
    >>get these Swedish ones to be fog free.
    >>
    >>Pat in TX
    >>

    > My own fog story is I used my 1-piece speedo UltraVision goggles for
    > years. The foam was in good shape and I loved them - they never leaked.
    >
    > Then the inevitable for those 1 piece plastic things - they broke at the
    > nose bridge :-((
    >
    > I found a store with some new ones (not easy as they are discontinued)
    > and was shocked at the unfogged view. Swimming was so much more
    > enjoyable. Unfortnuately it didn't last, they began to fog like any
    > other pair.
    >
    > I tried the Speedo anti-fog spray and follwed the directions rinsing
    > afterwards. No luck. Then one day I sprayed the anti-fog on them and
    > didn't rinse but let it dry until the next day.
    >
    > The whole swim clear as a bell.
    > So now I regularly rinse them in cold water after a swim, spray with
    > anti-fog and hang off the bag to dry.
    >
    > If I do get any water in the next time out I only need to remember to
    > rinse them immediately so none of the anti-fog solution rehydrates and
    > gets in my eye (it stings). But even then I usually do not have trouble
    > with fogging.
    >
    > Clear lenses make such a difference!

  10. Chris Zakelj

    Chris Zakelj Guest

    JR wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new here :)
    >
    > I swim quite often, 4-5 times a week. I had the Arena X-Ray
    > training for about 10 months. They were quite good, comfortable at
    > first, but after few months the silicone (or whatever it is) was getting
    > harder and harder. Now, I have some Eyeline (model Lotus I think...)
    > goggles (given as a Christmas present from my sister-in-law, I don't
    > like, when somebody chooses for me something what depends on personal
    > factors...). Well, they LOOK comfortable, but they aren't.
    > So, I've got a question. Which goggles do you recommend? I am not a
    > competitive swimmer (not yet ;]), just training for fun. I guess it
    > would be speedo? But which model?
    > Also, I would like to know, how do you protect from fog? There is
    > some Speedo liquid, which I used, but it wasn't very efficient.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Regards.

    This depends entirely on your facial structure and personal preference.
    Personally, the only thing I can even stand are the swedish-style "two
    chunks of plastic, a rubber band, and some string" goggles. Other folks
    swear by foam seals, while others like the relative (compared to foam)
    durability of silicone. The only real advice here is to just experiment
    and find what suits you best.

    Anti-fog stuff is very hit-or-miss. A trick I learned in scuba class
    that works just as well for work-out goggles is to spit/lick the
    insides, then rinse off before putting them on. But don't expect
    anything to be 100%. The goggles are going to fog, it's just a question
    of how fast.

  11. diablo

    diablo Guest

    "Martin Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I can't imagine the frustration. When I get foggy goggles, I rub them out
    >with my finger. I seldom have to do it more than once a workout.

    doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any more?

  12. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    >I can't imagine the frustration. When I get foggy goggles, I rub them out
    >>with my finger. I seldom have to do it more than once a workout.

    > doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any more?

    me! Maybe Martin spits on his fingers first?

  13. Chris Zakelj

    Chris Zakelj Guest

    diablo wrote:
    > "Martin Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I can't imagine the frustration. When I get foggy goggles, I rub them out
    >> with my finger. I seldom have to do it more than once a workout.

    > doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any more?

    Well, I tend more to lick them, and save the spitting for scuba diving.
    Guess my posting from earlier this evening hasn't hit your server yet,
    but don't worry, you're not the only expectorator around ;)

  14. Man o' Tea

    Man o' Tea Guest

    diablo wrote:

    > doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any more?

    Ptui! I spit in your goggle!

  15. Steve Curtis

    Steve Curtis Guest

    "diablo" wrote:

    >doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any
    >more?

    Does anyone still spit in their opponent's lane prior to a start? Amy
    Van Dyken used that tactic as a show of some sort of intimidating
    "territorialism."

  16. Michael Edey

    Michael Edey Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:21:22 +0000, diablo wrote:

    > "Martin Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I can't imagine the frustration. When I get foggy goggles, I rub them out
    >>with my finger. I seldom have to do it more than once a workout.

    > doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any more?

    I can't say that I've ever needed spit. Washing googles and keeping them
    out of hot tubs seems to do the trick. Plus, as Martin mentioned, when
    swimming a workout there's many opportunities to take a second and a half
    to wipe 'em clear with your thumbs.

    --Mike

  17. Chris Zakelj

    Chris Zakelj Guest

    Steve Curtis wrote:
    > "diablo" wrote:
    >
    >> doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any
    >> more?

    > Does anyone still spit in their opponent's lane prior to a start? Amy
    > Van Dyken used that tactic as a show of some sort of intimidating
    > "territorialism."

    I haven't seen it myself in a couple of years, but I wouldn't be
    surprised at all if it still goes on (in the US) at high school state
    championships, college conference championships, and USSwimming Zone (or
    above) meets.

  18. Martin Smith

    Martin Smith Guest

    diablo wrote:

    > "Martin Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I can't imagine the frustration. When I get foggy goggles, I rub them out
    >>with my finger. I seldom have to do it more than once a workout.

    > doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any more?

    Nothing but water touches the nether regions of my eyes.

  19. Mark P

    Mark P Guest

    diablo wrote:
    > "Martin Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I can't imagine the frustration. When I get foggy goggles, I rub them out
    >>with my finger. I seldom have to do it more than once a workout.

    > doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any more?

    A little liquid soap rubbed on the inside of the lens and rinsed away
    always works well for me.

  20. Silver0l

    Silver0l Guest

    "diablo" <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message de news:
    mWtKf.9502$xZ4.3[email protected]

    > doesn' anyone spit in their goggles any more?

    Yes, I do.
    And I taught it to my 9 y.o. son.
    But he recently got scolded by the life guard for doing that.
    With all these new diseases, some people tend to become paranoid...

    -- Olivier