Swimming half marathon

Steve

Guest
Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a swimming half marathon? I
thought it was called a 'swmming half marathon' because it used the same amount of calories as
running a half marathon (running 13.1 miles = approx 1310 calories, swimming 5000m = 1260 calories
which is near enough ), but looking at http://www.swimfit.com/article.asp?ArticleID=69 seems to
suggest that a half marathon is only 2500 metres. Is there an official definition of a
marathon/half marathon or not?

Thanks, people!

Steve,

I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running 13.1 and swimming 5000. I think
I work as hard in both.

Tommy

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a swimming half marathon? I
> thought it was called a 'swmming half marathon' because
it
> used the same amount of calories as running a half marathon (running 13.1 miles = approx 1310
> calories, swimming 5000m = 1260 calories which is near enough ), but looking at
> http://www.swimfit.com/article.asp?ArticleID=69 seems to suggest that a half marathon is only 2500
> metres. Is there an official definition of a marathon/half marathon or not?
>
> Thanks, people!

Steve,

I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running 13.1 and swimming 5000. I think
I work as hard in both.

Tommy

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a swimming half marathon? I
> thought it was called a 'swmming half marathon' because
it
> used the same amount of calories as running a half marathon (running 13.1 miles = approx 1310
> calories, swimming 5000m = 1260 calories which is near enough ), but looking at
> http://www.swimfit.com/article.asp?ArticleID=69 seems to suggest that a half marathon is only 2500
> metres. Is there an official definition of a marathon/half marathon or not?
>
> Thanks, people!

> > Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a
swimming
> > half marathon? > >
>
> I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running 13.1 and swimming 5000. I
> think I work as hard in both.

Cheers Tommy, that's what I reckon. I've heard someone else say 2500m is a half marathon though.
I'll go with you though fella!

"Thomas Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote:

> As a fairly normal long distance swimmer I'd stay 10k or 12k would be more marathon like, not 5k.
> I think most swimmers/triathletes would agree.

My time for half marathon (13.1 miles) and swimathon are virtually identical (to well within 5
minutes). so I'd say they are equivalent distances for me. I know which I find easier (and it's not
the running!)

YMMV.

--
BD

Hi Guys

We in the UK have an event called the 'Swimathon' It is of 5km in length, and is commonly known at a
'marathon' distance.

So using the above information, 2.5km is the half marathon distance.

Paul Yeoman Scarborough Swimming Club [UK] "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a
> swimming
> > > half marathon? > >
> >
> > I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running
13.1
> > and swimming 5000. I think I work as hard in both.
> >

> Cheers Tommy, that's what I reckon. I've heard someone else say 2500m is a half marathon though.
> I'll go with you though fella!

Hi Paul,

I am also in the UK. The 'swimathon' was a pretty abartary distance made up by a charity to raise
money and to encourage people into the pool. For information, a marathon is a long event, not
just a 26.2 race. In south africa where long distance running is common place a marathon has
various distances often 40 - 55 miles, they laugh at are so called 26.2 marathon. So you can't
apply a rational.

As a fairly normal long distance swimmer I'd stay 10k or 12k would be more marathon like, not 5k. I
think most swimmers/triathletes would agree.

Keep swimming

Tommy

news:[email protected]...