Swimming half marathon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Steve, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a swimming half marathon? I
    thought it was called a 'swmming half marathon' because it used the same amount of calories as
    running a half marathon (running 13.1 miles = approx 1310 calories, swimming 5000m = 1260 calories
    which is near enough ), but looking at http://www.swimfit.com/article.asp?ArticleID=69 seems to
    suggest that a half marathon is only 2500 metres. Is there an official definition of a
    marathon/half marathon or not?

    Thanks, people!

    Tags:

  2. Steve,

    I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running 13.1 and swimming 5000. I think
    I work as hard in both.

    Tommy

    "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a swimming half marathon? I
    > thought it was called a 'swmming half marathon' because
    it
    > used the same amount of calories as running a half marathon (running 13.1 miles = approx 1310
    > calories, swimming 5000m = 1260 calories which is near enough ), but looking at
    > http://www.swimfit.com/article.asp?ArticleID=69 seems to suggest that a half marathon is only 2500
    > metres. Is there an official definition of a marathon/half marathon or not?
    >
    > Thanks, people!

  3. Steve,

    I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running 13.1 and swimming 5000. I think
    I work as hard in both.

    Tommy

    "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a swimming half marathon? I
    > thought it was called a 'swmming half marathon' because
    it
    > used the same amount of calories as running a half marathon (running 13.1 miles = approx 1310
    > calories, swimming 5000m = 1260 calories which is near enough ), but looking at
    > http://www.swimfit.com/article.asp?ArticleID=69 seems to suggest that a half marathon is only 2500
    > metres. Is there an official definition of a marathon/half marathon or not?
    >
    > Thanks, people!

  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    > > Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a
    swimming
    > > half marathon? > >
    >
    > I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running 13.1 and swimming 5000. I
    > think I work as hard in both.

    Cheers Tommy, that's what I reckon. I've heard someone else say 2500m is a half marathon though.
    I'll go with you though fella!

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    > > Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a
    swimming
    > > half marathon? > >
    >
    > I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running 13.1 and swimming 5000. I
    > think I work as hard in both.

    Cheers Tommy, that's what I reckon. I've heard someone else say 2500m is a half marathon though.
    I'll go with you though fella!

  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    > > Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a
    swimming
    > > half marathon? > >
    >
    > I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running 13.1 and swimming 5000. I
    > think I work as hard in both.

    Cheers Tommy, that's what I reckon. I've heard someone else say 2500m is a half marathon though.
    I'll go with you though fella!

  7. Brian D

    Brian D Guest

    "Thomas Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > As a fairly normal long distance swimmer I'd stay 10k or 12k would be more marathon like, not 5k.
    > I think most swimmers/triathletes would agree.

    My time for half marathon (13.1 miles) and swimathon are virtually identical (to well within 5
    minutes). so I'd say they are equivalent distances for me. I know which I find easier (and it's not
    the running!)

    YMMV.

    --
    BD

  8. Paul Yeoman

    Paul Yeoman Guest

    Hi Guys

    We in the UK have an event called the 'Swimathon' It is of 5km in length, and is commonly known at a
    'marathon' distance.

    So using the above information, 2.5km is the half marathon distance.

    Paul Yeoman Scarborough Swimming Club [UK] "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > > Sorry for raising this issue again, but what's considered to be a
    > swimming
    > > > half marathon? > >
    > >
    > > I recon 5000m is spot on. It's takes me about 1.25 for both running
    13.1
    > > and swimming 5000. I think I work as hard in both.
    > >

    > Cheers Tommy, that's what I reckon. I've heard someone else say 2500m is a half marathon though.
    > I'll go with you though fella!

  9. Hi Paul,

    I am also in the UK. The 'swimathon' was a pretty abartary distance made up by a charity to raise
    money and to encourage people into the pool. For information, a marathon is a long event, not
    just a 26.2 race. In south africa where long distance running is common place a marathon has
    various distances often 40 - 55 miles, they laugh at are so called 26.2 marathon. So you can't
    apply a rational.

    As a fairly normal long distance swimmer I'd stay 10k or 12k would be more marathon like, not 5k. I
    think most swimmers/triathletes would agree.

    Keep swimming

    Tommy

    news:[email protected]...