Swimming in open water

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Bernard, May 28, 2003.

  1. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    Hi,

    I am training for a 1/4 triathlon: 1500 m swim. I never have swimmed in open water. Will swimming
    in open water with a wetsuit delay my time, or will I go faster? What other conditions will I take
    in concern?
    Note: cause of bad weather conditions in my country. Bernard

    Tags:

  2. Kristian

    Kristian New Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2003
    If you are not a strong swimmer eg 20-25min 1500m in a pool then a wetsuit will be a hugh help in the open water. Also the fact you can jump on others feet helps again. If you are in the sea you will be more bouyant which is again a help. On race day dont worry about the conditions as everyone has to swim the same course in the same conditions. Good luck

  3. Jkmsg

    Jkmsg Guest

    >"Bernard" <bernard> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... Hi,
    >
    > I am training for a 1/4 triathlon: 1500 m swim. I never have swimmed in open water. Will swimming
    > in open water with a wetsuit delay my time, or will I go faster? What other conditions will I
    > take in concern?
    > Note: cause of bad weather conditions in my country. Bernard

    It will make the swim easier and faster. The biggest problem with open water swimming is swimming a
    straight line. So, if your time is slower than the pool swims, it's not because of the wetsuit
    (unless it's a bad fitting wetsuit) but rather because you were swimming crooked.

    Learning to spot your course properly and swim straight takes practice. Most swimmers look up
    (forward) about every 6-8 strokes. The more strokes between sighting your direction the better -
    provided you swam straight between course sightings. On the otherhand, less strokes between sighting
    your direction can also be better if it helps you swim straighter. As you can tell, it takes
    practice to find the best match between frequency of times you need to look up/forward to sight and
    swimming level and fast.

    Joe M

  4. Billx

    Billx Guest

    I find wetsuits hard to remove and the time shaved in the water doesn't compensate for the time
    spent stripping. Time yourself removing a wetsuit and decide for yourself if it is worth it. I'm
    cursed/blessed with huge calves and a skinny body so no amount of lubricant is going to make my
    wetsuit slip off over the legs easily.

    "jkmsg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >"Bernard" <bernard> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am training for a 1/4 triathlon: 1500 m swim. I never have swimmed in open water. Will
    > > swimming in open water with a wetsuit delay my time, or will I go faster? What other conditions
    > > will I take in concern?
    > > Note: cause of bad weather conditions in my country. Bernard
    >
    > It will make the swim easier and faster. The biggest problem with open water swimming is swimming
    > a straight line. So, if your time is slower than the pool swims, it's not because of the wetsuit
    > (unless it's a bad fitting wetsuit) but rather because you were swimming crooked.
    >
    > Learning to spot your course properly and swim straight takes practice. Most swimmers look up
    > (forward) about every 6-8 strokes. The more strokes between sighting your direction the better -
    > provided you swam straight between course sightings. On the otherhand, less strokes between
    > sighting your direction can also be better if it helps you swim straighter. As you can tell, it
    > takes practice to find the best match between frequency of times you need to look up/forward to
    > sight and swimming level and fast.
    >
    > Joe M

  5. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    "BillX" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I find wetsuits hard to remove and the time shaved in the water doesn't compensate for the time
    >spent stripping. Time yourself removing a wetsuit and decide for yourself if it is worth it. I'm
    >cursed/blessed with huge calves and a skinny body so no amount of lubricant is going to make my
    >wetsuit slip off over the legs easily.

    Try sitting down in the water before you exit (with just enough water to cover your legs) and
    pulling the wetsuit off there. The water helps it slip right off.

    Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Bernard" <bernard> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    >> Will swimming in open water with a wetsuit delay my time, or will
    I go
    > faster?

    Unless you are an Elite swimmer the wet suit will make you faster. how much depends on your current
    level. I am a slug and a wet suit will shave over two minutes off my 1500m time. I will give 30
    seconds back to getting out of it. The wet suit is, when allowed, also a nice safety device for a
    person not comfortable in open water.

    Ken @ Kauai