Swimming Should Not be in the Olympics

Ronald A . Fish

Guest
The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.

Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the International
Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be considered an athletic
sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more of a game than it is a
competition.

Personally, I think they are on the right track

Cheers-

--
Ronald A. Fishman II Member in Good Standing ~M E N S A~

"Ronald A. Fishman II" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
>
> Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
> International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
> considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
> of a game than it is a competition.
>
> Personally, I think they are on the right track

WHEW! Stinky!

--
C The Shocker - B.O.B. Member #6 Shoutcast Server: http://chrispdx.audio-stream.net:8000 Blog:
http://pdxchris.blogspot.com/
#5 on Lvubun's Top 100 Posters of RSPW 11/5/2002
RSPW World Cyber-Weight Champion

> The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
>
> Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
> International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
> considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
> of a game than it is a competition.
>
> Personally, I think they are on the right track
>
> Cheers-

I can see the basis for their argument to re-classify it as a "minor sport". Personally I think
swimmers get too much attention as it is.

--
HuskerKev

Proud double nominee for the RUTSIE awards

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:10:28 -0500, C The Shocker wrote (in message
<[email protected]>):

> "Ronald A. Fishman II" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
>>
>> Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
>> International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
>> considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
>> of a game than it is a competition.
>>
>> Personally, I think they are on the right track
>
> WHEW! Stinky!

Whither Pescadero?

--
Daniel Seriff

Bend over Abigail Mae, because here comes the gravy pipe!

Husker Kev <[email protected]> threw a soggy newspaper against the wall, and here's what stuck:

>> The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
>>
>> Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
>> International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
>> considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
>> of a game than it is a competition.
>>
>> Personally, I think they are on the right track
>>
>> Cheers-
>>

> I can see the basis for their argument to re-classify it as a "minor sport". Personally I think
> swimmers get too much attention as it is.

I've read articles about a move to add golf as an Olympic sport. Perhaps this is an adjustment to
make room for that sport.

PMP

"Ronald A. Fishman II" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
>
> Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
> International Olympic Committee must take a very
hard
> look at whether swimming can truly be considered an athletic sport.
Much
> like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more of a
game
> than it is a competition.
>
> Personally, I think they are on the right track
>
> Cheers-
>
> --
> Ronald A. Fishman II Member in Good Standing ~M E N S A~

Damn, I didn't know we still had this many fish in the rsfc left.

--
MoParMan----Remove Clothes to Reply

I realize that this is simply a troll, but here's the reason it won't happen.

#1. The largest share of the total IOC budget comes from NBC-TV.

#2. Swimming provides the most content hours for the entire first 8 days of the
Olympics, and gets some of the highest ratings of the entire Olympics...in many cases higher than
the ratings of such sports as basketball, baseball, and certainly wrestling, weight lifting, rowing,
and so on.

Get rid of swimming and the TV value of the Olympics declines preciptiously, and, along with it, the
budget of the IOC.

For a member of Mensa, you aren't very smart.

Larry Weisenthal

Certitude is poison; curiosity is life

>For a member of Mensa, you aren't very smart.

My thoughts exactly.

Steve Curtis

swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill does it take to sit on a
line and block a guy running at you? a lot less than it does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly.
you work harder in swimming and compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be
the olympics.

"Ronald A. Fishman II" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
>
> Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
> International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
> considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
> of a game than it is a competition.
>
> Personally, I think they are on the right track
>
> Cheers-
>
> --
> Ronald A. Fishman II Member in Good Standing ~M E N S A~

On 10/13/03 4:34 PM, in article [email protected], "MoParMan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Damn, I didn't know we still had this many fish in the rsfc left.

Someone restocked the pond.

By the way, I am not watching football right now. I am watching "City Slickers" on the AMC channel.
I have decided that "City Slickers" is a movie version of rsfc. Please hear what I am saying.

--
Toby

Matt wrote:
> swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill does it take to sit on a
> line and block a guy running at you? a lot less than it does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly.
> you work harder in swimming and compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be
> the olympics.

Yes, they'd be interesting.

Jon

Matt, exactly what drugs were you under the influence of when you wrote:
> swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill does it take to sit on a
> line and block a guy running at you? a lot less than it does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly.
> you work harder in swimming and compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be
> the olympics.

Oh please. The only reason swimming is an Olympic "sport" is so they

--
CARL BANKS http://www.aerojockey.com

As the newest Lady Turnpot descended into the kitchen wrapped only in her celery-green dressing
gown, her creamy bosom rising and falling like a temperamental souffle, her **** mouth pursed in
distaste, the sous-chef whispered to the scullery boy, "I don't know what to make of her." --Laurel
Fortuner, Montendre, France 1992 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest Winner

Hey [email protected], do you know where there are any personages of historical
significance around here?:
> Matt, exactly what drugs were you under the influence of when you wrote:
> > swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill does it take to sit on a
> > line and block a guy running at you? a lot less than it does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly.
> > you work harder in swimming and compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be
> > the olympics.
>

> Oh please. The only reason swimming is an Olympic "sport" is so they

Swimmer doods: weird looking, tall, skinny doods. Swimmer chicks: weird looking, broad-shouldered
manly chicks with small breasts.

Jon Enslin wrote:

> Matt wrote:
> > swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill does it take to sit on a
> > line and block a guy running at you? a lot less than it does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly.
> > you work harder in swimming and compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be
> > the olympics.
>
> Yes, they'd be interesting.
>
> Jon

Look at it this way:

Less swimming, more "personal story" pieces.

SIF

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:33:43 -0500, Scott I. Ferrell-Seven of Hearts wrote (in message
<[email protected]>):

> Jon Enslin wrote:
>>
>> Matt wrote:
>>> swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill does it take to sit on a
>>> line and block a guy running at you? a lot less than it does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly.
>>> you work harder in swimming and compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be
>>> the olympics.
>>
>> Yes, they'd be interesting.
>
> Look at it this way:
>
> Less swimming, more "personal story" pieces.

I think I speak for everyone in America when I offer a hearty affirmation of this proposal.

--
Daniel Seriff

When the ratings go up, it's like the whole world is made of donuts.
- Brak

Ronald A. Fishman II <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
>
> Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
> International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
> considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
> of a game than it is a competition.
>
> Personally, I think they are on the right track
>
> Cheers-

The difference between a game and a sport is a whether or not you can drink and smoke during that
activity. Such things as bowling, archery, hell, even baseball would permit that. Swimming does not.
The only drinking is accidental pool water, and we all know you can't smoke underwater.

37? [email protected], Sam Hain <[email protected]>
sucked 37 dicks:
> Ronald A. Fishman II <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
>>
>> Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
>> International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
>> considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
>> of a game than it is a competition.
>>
>> Personally, I think they are on the right track
>>
>> Cheers-
>
> The difference between a game and a sport is a whether or not you can drink and smoke during that
> activity. Such things as bowling, archery, hell, even baseball would permit that. Swimming does
> not. The only drinking is accidental pool water, and we all know you can't smoke underwater.

Backstroke.
--
Jefferson N. Glapski http://www.glapski.com

M.W. Smith wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>
>> swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill does it take to sit on a
>> line and block a guy running at you? a lot less than it does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly.
>> you work harder in swimming and compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be
>> the olympics.
>

> That isn't football anyway. Football is the game in which the players kick the ball around the
> field with their feet, the game that most of the world plays, as opposed to the American game in
> which only one guy on each side kicks the ball once in awhile, and only a few people play it, and
> they all wear a lot of protective pads so they don't hurt each other.

This is the American side of the internet. If you are going to post the drivel like you did above,
please be cognizant of that next time. On this side, soccer is soccer, and football is football.

Jon

--
"It seems all you can do is step on our collective joy whenever Canada achieves a milestone in
sports." - rob

Hey t*****f*****m**@hotmail.com, do you know where there are any personages of historical
significance around here?:
> In article <[email protected]>, "Jefferson N. Glapski"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > 37? [email protected], Sam Hain <[email protected]> sucked
> > 37 dicks:
> > > Ronald A. Fishman II <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:<[email protected]>...

> > > The difference between a game and a sport is a whether or not you can drink and smoke during
> > > that activity. Such things as bowling, archery, hell, even baseball would permit that.
> > > Swimming does not. The only drinking is accidental pool water, and we all know you can't smoke
> > > underwater.
> >
> > Backstroke.

mmm... a certain girl who shall remain nameless who I knew in highschool used to be quite good at
the backstroke. And an amazing thing to watch. Friggin hypnotic, I tell ya. I'd be standing
there with the stopwatch observing the race, and forget to stop it for three seconds after she
finished. lucky the automatic timers generally worked...