Swimming Should Not be in the Olympics

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Ronald A . Fish, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. M.W. Smith

    M.W. Smith Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill does it take to sit on a
    > line and block a guy running at you? a lot less than it does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly.
    > you work harder in swimming and compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be
    > the olympics.

    That isn't football anyway. Football is the game in which the players kick the ball around the field
    with their feet, the game that most of the world plays, as opposed to the American game in which
    only one guy on each side kicks the ball once in awhile, and only a few people play it, and they all
    wear a lot of protective pads so they don't hurt each other.

    martin

  2. Swanger

    Swanger Guest

    "M.W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    > > swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill
    does
    > > it take to sit on a line and block a guy running at you? a lot less
    than it
    > > does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly. you work harder in swimming
    and
    > > compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be the olympics.
    >
    > That isn't football anyway. Football is the game in which the players kick the ball around the
    > field with their feet, the game that most of the world plays, as opposed to the American game in
    > which only one guy on each side kicks the ball once in awhile, and only a few people play it, and
    > they all wear a lot of protective pads so they don't hurt each other.

    Hey, Hey, Hey, now you're talking about football! uhh,,,

  3. M.W. Smith

    M.W. Smith Guest

    Jon Enslin wrote:

    > M.W. Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>
    >>> swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill does it take to sit on a
    >>> line and block a guy running at you? a lot less than it does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly.
    >>> you work harder in swimming and compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be
    >>> the olympics.
    >>

    >> That isn't football anyway. Football is the game in which the players kick the ball around the
    >> field with their feet, the game that most of the world plays, as opposed to the American game in
    >> which only one guy on each side kicks the ball once in awhile, and only a few people play it, and
    >> they all wear a lot of protective pads so they don't hurt each other.
    >

    > This is the American side of the internet.

    Side? There's no side. The internet doesn't have sides. The internet covers the whole planet. About
    90% of the people on the planet know the game football as the one that has a world championship.

    > If you are going to post the drivel like you did above, please be cognizant of that next time. On
    > this side, soccer is soccer, and football is football.

    What was drivel? Everything I said was correct. Your delusion that you are on your own side {sic}
    of the internet is drivel, as is the complaint that swimming shouldn't be in the Olympics. On a
    participation basis, swimming is a *far* bigger sport than American football. Swimming has a
    world championships; American football doesn't. Competitive swimmers are seldom arrested for
    murder or rape.

    martin

    --
    Clark for President http://www.clark04.com/

    Martin Smith

  4. Swanger

    Swanger Guest

    "M.W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jon Enslin wrote:
    >
    > > M.W. Smith wrote:

    > What was drivel? Everything I said was correct. Your delusion that you are on your own side {sic}
    > of the internet is drivel, as is the complaint that swimming shouldn't be in the Olympics. On a
    > participation basis, swimming is a *far* bigger sport than American football. Swimming has a
    > world championships; American football doesn't. Competitive swimmers are seldom arrested for
    > murder or rape.
    >
    > marti

    Americans have a World Championship, it just doesn't include the whole world! However, sometimes
    it dose include Minnesota. No feet in football, therefore, if swimming were replaced by American
    football you would simply have American water polo not played in the water. "Okay, I want you to
    line up across from one another, take aim, run head down like a crazed mutant ninja and knock
    the shit out of one another". I had fun doing this as a youngster and on through college (only
    two years because of two broken shoulders) we hardly did any murders or rapes but plenty of
    debauchery. Currently, my loss of brain cells serve me well, now that I don't need them,,, I
    think. I design race boats and sometimes, not often, they sink for no good reason. That's
    exactly what's happening this year to my beloved 49ers.

  5. Kaisa

    Kaisa Guest

    This mus be a provocation not needing any analytical answer.

    Eero

    Ronald A. Fishman II <[email protected]> kirjoitti
    viestiss√§:[email protected]
    > The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
    >
    > Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
    > International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
    > considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
    > of a game than it is a competition.
    >
    > Personally, I think they are on the right track
    >
    > Cheers-
    >
    > --
    > Ronald A. Fishman II Member in Good Standing ~M E N S A~

  6. While personally I think this post has been put here purely to get a reaction from us all (in which
    case... it's worked... damn!) I still find myself adding to the argument.

    "whether swimming can be truly considered an athletic sport"... ok, let's look at athletics. The
    World record for 100m is say 9.7 seconds (or thereabouts). Now I've been a swimmer all my life and
    apart from weights and a bit of land work, I wouldn't consider myself a gifted runner - distinctly
    "joe average" in fact. But I know that as a 16/17 yr old, I clocked just under 14 seconds in a 100m
    race at school... and didn't even come close to winning. And that's within 4-5 seconds of the World
    Record. As a County-level swimmer in the UK with a pb of just under 55 secs for 100m free I'm still
    7-8 secs away from the likes of the Thorpedo, etc. I've been training since I was 7, and while past
    my best now (at 30) I'd like to think of myself as being a "proper" athlete at one time, not just a
    game player !

    Pete.

    "Ronald A. Fishman II" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
    >
    > Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
    > International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
    > considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
    > of a game than it is a competition.
    >
    > Personally, I think they are on the right track
    >
    > Cheers-
    >
    > --
    > Ronald A. Fishman II Member in Good Standing ~M E N S A~

  7. Dakitty

    Dakitty Guest

    "Ronald A. Fishman II" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The IOC is seriously considering downgrading swimming as an official Olympic competitive event.
    >
    > Although swimming is an excellent passtime and has a long history, I truly believe the
    > International Olympic Committee must take a very hard look at whether swimming can truly be
    > considered an athletic sport. Much like curling, archery and sharpshooting swimming is much more
    > of a game than it is a competition.
    >
    > Personally, I think they are on the right track
    >
    > Cheers-
    >
    > --
    > Ronald A. Fishman II Member in Good Standing ~M E N S A~

    Bwaaaaahahahahahahaha. Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

  8. Dakitty

    Dakitty Guest

    Larry, Yikes! Don't tell me that you actually took those bored knuckle dragging armchair
    quarterbacks seriously!

    "Larry Weisenthal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I realize that this is simply a troll, but here's the reason it won't
    happen.

    > #1. The largest share of the total IOC budget comes from NBC-TV.
    >
    > #2. Swimming provides the most content hours for the entire first 8 days
    of the
    > Olympics, and gets some of the highest ratings of the entire Olympics...in
    many
    > cases higher than the ratings of such sports as basketball, baseball, and certainly wrestling,
    > weight lifting, rowing, and so on.
    >
    > Get rid of swimming and the TV value of the Olympics declines
    preciptiously,
    > and, along with it, the budget of the IOC.
    >
    > For a member of Mensa, you aren't very smart.
    >

    > Larry Weisenthal
    >
    > Certitude is poison; curiosity is life

  9. Dakitty

    Dakitty Guest

    "Daniel Seriff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:33:43 -0500, Scott I. Ferrell-Seven of Hearts wrote (in message
    > <[email protected]>):
    >
    > > Jon Enslin wrote:

    > >> Yes, they'd be interesting.
    > >
    > > Look at it this way:
    > >
    > > Less swimming, more "personal story" pieces.
    >
    > I think I speak for everyone in America when I offer a hearty affirmation
    of
    > this proposal.
    >
    > --
    > Daniel Seriff

    Personal story pieces? Are you a chick? Or perhaps gay?

  10. Husker Kev

    Husker Kev Guest

    > Larry, Yikes! Don't tell me that you actually took those bored knuckle dragging armchair
    > quarterbacks seriously!
    >

    > "Larry Weisenthal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I realize that this is simply a troll, but here's the reason it won't
    > happen.
    > >
    > > #1. The largest share of the total IOC budget comes from NBC-TV.
    > >
    > > #2. Swimming provides the most content hours for the entire first 8 days
    > of the
    > > Olympics, and gets some of the highest ratings of the entire Olympics...in
    > many
    > > cases higher than the ratings of such sports as basketball, baseball, and certainly wrestling,
    > > weight lifting, rowing, and so on.
    > >
    > > Get rid of swimming and the TV value of the Olympics declines
    > preciptiously,
    > > and, along with it, the budget of the IOC.
    > >
    > > For a member of Mensa, you aren't very smart.
    > >

    > > Larry Weisenthal
    > >
    > > Certitude is poison; curiosity is life

    I am just saying my opinun - Please don't critisize.

    --
    HuskerKev

    Proud double nominee for the RUTSIE awards

  11. Dakitty

    Dakitty Guest

    "Carl Banks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Matt, exactly what drugs were you under the influence of when you wrote:
    > > swimming is more of a sport than things like football. how much skill
    does
    > > it take to sit on a line and block a guy running at you? a lot less
    than it
    > > does to swim under a 51 in the 100m fly. you work harder in swimming
    and
    > > compete harder. take away swimming and the olympics just wont be the olympics.
    >

    > Oh please. The only reason swimming is an Olympic "sport" is so they

    You're damn right! I like oggling over well built men in their speedos.

    If football players started palying in speedos, perhaps the sport would gain populatity with women.

    But, you'd have to get rid of them 350lb 40% body fat uglies. They're not

    With that much body-fat, they'd make good swimmers, well, at least they'd make good bobbers. Much
    like those you can find in a jacuzzy of some seedy gym.

    We might make use of the quaterbacks, wide recievers and running backs. The defensive posts, I mean
    blockers would definately have to go.

  12. Dakitty

    Dakitty Guest

    "Husker Kev" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Larry, Yikes! Don't tell me that you actually took those bored knuckle dragging
    armchair
    > > quarterbacks seriously!
    > >

    > > "Larry Weisenthal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I realize that this is simply a troll, but here's the reason it won't
    > > happen.
    > > >
    > > > #1. The largest share of the total IOC budget comes from NBC-TV.
    > > >
    > > > #2. Swimming provides the most content hours for the entire first 8
    days
    > > of the
    > > > Olympics, and gets some of the highest ratings of the entire
    Olympics...in
    > > many
    > > > cases higher than the ratings of such sports as basketball, baseball,
    and
    > > > certainly wrestling, weight lifting, rowing, and so on.
    > > >
    > > > Get rid of swimming and the TV value of the Olympics declines
    > > preciptiously,
    > > > and, along with it, the budget of the IOC.
    > > >
    > > > For a member of Mensa, you aren't very smart.
    > > >

    > > > Larry Weisenthal
    > > >
    > > > Certitude is poison; curiosity is life
    > >

    > I am just saying my opinun - Please don't critisize.

    Why not? Can't take it?

  13. Dakitty

    Dakitty Guest

    "T O'B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey t*****f*****m**@hotmail.com, do you know where there are any personages of historical
    > significance around here?:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "Jefferson N. Glapski"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > 37? [email protected], Sam Hain <[email protected]> sucked
    > > > 37 dicks:

    much

    > > > Backstroke.
    > >

    > mmm... a certain girl who shall remain nameless who I knew in highschool used to be quite good at
    > the backstroke. And an amazing thing to watch. Friggin hypnotic, I tell ya. I'd be standing
    > there with the stopwatch observing the race, and forget to stop it for three seconds after she
    > finished. lucky the automatic timers generally worked...

    It's the bobbing boobs efect. I bet football never gets you *that* mesmerized.

    But, is 3 seconds all it takes you?

  14. Husker Kev

    Husker Kev Guest

    > "T O'B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey t*****f*****m**@hotmail.com, do you know where there are any personages of historical
    > > significance around here?:

    > official

    > much

    > can
    > archery,

    > > mmm... a certain girl who shall remain nameless who I knew in highschool used to be quite good
    > > at the backstroke. And an amazing thing to watch. Friggin hypnotic, I tell ya. I'd be
    > > standing there with the stopwatch observing the race, and forget to stop it for three
    > > seconds after she finished. lucky the automatic timers generally worked...
    > > --

    Geez, This girl is an Idot

    --
    HuskerKev

    Proud double nominee for the RUTSIE awards

  15. Dakitty

    Dakitty Guest

    "Husker Kev" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "T O'B" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hey t*****f*****m**@hotmail.com, do you know where there are any personages of historical
    > > > significance around here?:

    > > official

    > > much

    > > can
    > > archery,

    > > > mmm... a certain girl who shall remain nameless who I knew in
    highschool
    > > > used to be quite good at the backstroke. And an amazing thing to
    watch.
    > > > Friggin hypnotic, I tell ya. I'd be standing there with the stopwatch observing the race, and
    > > > forget to stop it for three seconds after she finished. lucky the automatic timers generally
    > > > worked...
    > > > --
    > >

    > Geez, This girl is an Idot

    haha Riiight. That's why what I said hit close enough to home that you felt compelled to chime in.
    You know, your nose is big enough as it is! (You do know what happened to pinnochio)

  16. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:15:26 -0500, DaKitty wrote (in message <%[email protected]>):

    > "Daniel Seriff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:33:43 -0500, Scott I. Ferrell-Seven of Hearts wrote (in message
    >> <[email protected]>):

    >>> Look at it this way:
    >>>
    >>> Less swimming, more "personal story" pieces.
    >>
    >> I think I speak for everyone in America when I offer a hearty affirmation of this proposal.
    >
    > Personal story pieces? Are you a chick? Or perhaps gay?

    Hi, Jonah. ($1)

    --
    Daniel Seriff

    Take that, subspace!

  17. Dakitty

    Dakitty Guest

    "Daniel Seriff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:15:26 -0500, DaKitty wrote (in message <%[email protected]>):
    >
    > > "Daniel Seriff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:33:43 -0500, Scott I. Ferrell-Seven of Hearts
    wrote
    > >> (in message <[email protected]>):

    work

    > >> I think I speak for everyone in America when I offer a hearty
    affirmation
    > >> of this proposal.
    > >
    > > Personal story pieces? Are you a chick? Or perhaps gay?
    >
    > Hi, Jonah. ($1)

    Hi Dave ($3)

  18. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:44:03 -0500, DaKitty wrote (in message <[email protected]>):

    > "Daniel Seriff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:15:26 -0500, DaKitty wrote (in message
    >> <%[email protected]>):
    >>
    >>> "Daniel Seriff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...

    >>> Personal story pieces? Are you a chick? Or perhaps gay?
    >>
    >> Hi, Jonah. ($1)
    >
    > Hi Dave ($3)

    I know a guy named Dave. He's not gay.

    --
    Daniel Seriff

    Take that, subspace!

  19. Dave Reid

    Dave Reid Guest

  20. Husker Kev

    Husker Kev Guest

    > "Daniel Seriff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:15:26 -0500, DaKitty wrote (in message
    > > <%[email protected]>):
    > >
    > > > "Daniel Seriff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > wrote

    > work

    > affirmation
    > > >
    > > > Personal story pieces? Are you a chick? Or perhaps gay?
    > >
    > > Hi, Jonah. ($1)
    > >

    > Hi Dave ($3)

    Are you a chick? ($1)