Swimsuit spin dryer

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Chris, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    My swim club has installed in a little spin dryer for swimsuits and swimming towels in the locker
    room. It's a really handy little thing! I've never seen it at any other swimming pool. I found the
    web site of the company that makes it here:

    http://www.hayabusa-g.co.jp/dass.html

    Tags:

  2. Expatnl

    Expatnl Guest

    > My swim club has installed in a little spin dryer for swimsuits and swimming towels in the locker
    > room. It's a really handy little thing! I've never seen it at any other swimming pool. I found the
    > web site of the company that makes it here:
    >
    > http://www.hayabusa-g.co.jp/dass.html

    i like this spin dryer very much but have only seen it back home [particularly at UBC -that's in
    vancouver, btw]. here in holland they're still living most of the time under a rock so nice stuff
    doesn't come by so easily. not even hair dryers that work and they swallow your coins.

  3. Webmaster

    Webmaster Guest

    I worked at a pool that had a similar device several years ago and it was quite useful. You just had
    to make sure you pushed the suit in far enough, every now and then it would snag the lining. This
    one may be nor advanced the one I used was 7-10 years ago.

  4. Chris wrote:

    > My swim club has installed in a little spin dryer for swimsuits and swimming towels in the locker
    > room. It's a really handy little thing! I've never seen it at any other swimming pool.

    I have found that hanging my speedo from my office doorknob dries it out in a few minutes. I also
    just use a small face towel, rather than a large bath or beach towel. I hang that up too. It takes
    longer to dry but is usually ready to use again for the afternoon session.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > My swim club has installed in a little spin dryer for swimsuits and swimming towels in the locker
    > room. It's a really handy little thing! I've never seen it at any other swimming pool. I found the
    > web site of the company that makes it here:

    My last workout place had one. Make sure you don't get any fabric caught on the lid or on the little
    knob that is near the mouth of the unit or the spinning will tear the fabric. I had to tell people
    over and over that this is NOT a heater: it works by centrifugal force. They kept expecting it to
    heat up and were disappointed when all it did was spin. Sigh.

    Pat in TX

  6. Zac Hester

    Zac Hester Guest

    > My swim club has installed in a little spin dryer for swimsuits and swimming towels in the locker
    > room. It's a really handy little thing! I've never seen it at any other swimming pool. I found the
    > web site of the company that makes it here:
    >
    > http://www.hayabusa-g.co.jp/dass.html

    I always thought I lived in the sticks, but my Y has had them for as long as I've been going there
    (~5+ years). They did just build a new pool back then, so maybe they were part of the deal. They're
    really nifty. I don't know why they'd cost $3k, but it does spin up pretty fast and the vibration
    from uneven loading is probably not the best kind of stress on the machine.

    -Zac

  7. Beeswich

    Beeswich Guest

    Your right Martin, another good reason for wearing a speedo. We have suit extractors( that is what
    we call them) at the rec. center where I work. Personally I think they are more trouble than they
    are worth, but the patrons love them. Go figure.

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Martin W. Smith" wrote:
    > I have found that hanging my speedo from my office doorknob dries it out in a few minutes. I also
    > just use a small face towel, rather than a large bath or beach towel. I hang that up too. It takes
    > longer to dry but is usually ready to use again for the afternoon session.

    You couldn't fit a bath towel in this thing--just a swimming towel. It's very small.

    I have a ziplock bag in my swim bag that I put my suit and towel in, along with my socks and
    underwear (since I tend to bring a spare change of those), so I don't really care if my suit is dry
    or not, and I wash it in the evenings anyway at home before using it again, but it's nice to get the
    excess moisture out of the suit and towel.

    But I noticed the price: these things cost the equivalent of over US$3,000! Holy cow! They _are_
    really solidly built: they seem almost like aerospace prototypes that the US Defense Department
    would buy. I guess they don't sell enough to get the price down. Japanese washing machines are
    plastic, and if you built enough of them that way, you could get the price down, I suppose, but on
    the other hand, the swimming spin dryers spin really fast, and they might actually need to be metal
    to keep from flying apart.

  9. Liz D

    Liz D Guest

    "Zac Hester" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My swim club has installed in a little spin dryer for swimsuits and swimming towels in the
    > > locker room. It's a really handy little thing! I've never seen it at any other swimming pool. I
    > > found the web site of the company that makes it here:
    > >
    > > http://www.hayabusa-g.co.jp/dass.html
    >
    > I always thought I lived in the sticks, but my Y has had them for as long as I've been going there
    > (~5+ years). They did just build a new pool back then, so maybe they were part of the deal.
    > They're really nifty. I don't know why they'd cost $3k, but it does spin up pretty fast and the
    > vibration from uneven loading is probably not the best kind of stress on the machine.
    >
    > -Zac

    In the 1970s, my local pool in my home town in the UK had a hand mangle/wringer that you could use
    to squeeze most of the water out of your suit before packing it.

    I was discussing with some swimming friends the other day why pools don't have these anymore, they
    would be very handy and cheap. But I suspect there would be a squillion safety regulations which
    would prevent their use, especially in the litigation-crazy US (well, that's the way you seem to the
    rest of the world). Even here in New Zealand we seem determined to remove any degree of "risk" from
    everyday activities.

    Liz D

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    [email protected] (Liz D) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In the 1970s, my local pool in my home town in the UK had a hand mangle/wringer that you could use
    > to squeeze most of the water out of your suit before packing it.

    D'oh! This seems so much better ... and certainly a lot cheaper.