Swiss Army Knives now banned by Metropolitan Police London

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> JLB wrote:
>
>> Yes. There are dice used by people engaged in role-playing games to
>> produce <x> in 100 odds. The dice are 10 sided and used in pairs. Each
>> roll produce a number from 00 to 99.

> They used to be 20 sided when I used to engage in such activities, each
> digit appearing twice on a regular isocahedron. There were 10-sided
> things about, essentially two five-sided prismoidal cones attached at
> their bases.

Oops. You're right.

> Ob cycling: Were there ever any 'bicycle' rules in any of the RPGs?

None I can think of, although it would have been possible I suppose to
develop some in e.g. Cthulu games, which are set in a world where
bicycles would be common enough.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

Graeme <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> A colleague of mine was once stopped by airport security and had a hand
> held metal detector waved over her. The security guard seemed quite
> concerned and needed some persuasion that what was detected was not a
> weapon, and no, she wasn't going to take her bra off to prove it.

I once had a hand held metal detector waved over me at Geneva airport
after a particularly fine lunch. It made a bleep for my watch, another
for the change in my pocket, another for my belt buckle, and a very
faint one over my stomach. The security man asked if I had been eating
spinach. I told him I had and he waved me through.

--
Dave...

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:14:48 +0000 someone who may be JLB
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>What was so grown up about the violinist's joke?

I don't remember making any observations on the "joke". However, a
grown up reaction to it was lacking.

>If someone says
>they are carying a bomb, gun or something similar, can they ignore it?

I don't recall saying that they should. A grown up reaction would be
to look inside the case and see the violin, then make a suitable
comment about having heard the "joke" before.

Instead the petulant reaction was all too typical of the breed.
Despite the ridiculous over-reaction people continue to treat these
bods with the contempt they deserve for their po-faced attitude.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> JLB wrote:
>
> They used to be 20 sided when I used to engage in such activities, each
> digit appearing twice on a regular isocahedron. There were 10-sided
> things about, essentially two five-sided prismoidal cones attached at
> their bases.
>
> Ob cycling: Were there ever any 'bicycle' rules in any of the RPGs?
>
> Colin

I seem to remember you could get Helmets that were -2 damage... Amongst
other things.

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:23:59 +0000 someone who may be JLB
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Wearing overalls has been noted for years as a good way of getting into
>places without being challenged.

Indeed.

>The plod who did stop this person
>appears to have been commendably alert.

If that is your idea of being commendably alert I hate to think what
your idea of being not alert is. The police were not trying to stop
people walking along the approach, they were just keeping an eye on
what was going on. An alert police officer would not ask idiotic
questions.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

> Lad at work had a collection of knives (he was a chef)
> one weekend (for whatever reason) he decided he was
> taking them home . He had got the bus on which a
> fracas caused the police to be called they searched/checked
> everyone and his knife roll was found he told them he was
> a chef and they were his"tools of trade"and they "let him off"

Usually legislation is drafted using phrases like "without lawful
authority" or "without reasonable excuse". So a chef carrying a set of
knives would have a reasonable excuse. So rather than being let off he
was in fact not committing any offence.
On the other hand a yob at 2am in a city centre with a single knife
concealed in his waistband would be commiting an offence.
Iain

> Of course, you do need to be able to explain why you are carrying a knife
> wherever you go. I blame it on all the awkward packaging on sandwich
> wrappers etc.

I'm paraphrasing here not quoting but...
offensive weapons act 19something...

"knives are tools. you have a right to carry a foldign pocket knife with a
blade of not more than 3 inches.
anything else you'd have to have a reason at the time for.
eg
I've got a 6 inch dive knife on me because i'm a diver and i'm about to go
diving. look here's the rest of my dive kit. - OK
I've got a 6 inch dive knife on me because i'm a diver and i'm out for a
good evening down the pub with my mates - NOT OK

almost anything can be an offensive weapon. Ice axes, screw drivers, Hex 9s

Tim W

iarocu popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
> > Lad at work had a collection of knives (he was a chef)
> > one weekend (for whatever reason) he decided he was
> > taking them home . He had got the bus on which a
> > fracas caused the police to be called they searched/checked
> > everyone and his knife roll was found he told them he was
> > a chef and they were his"tools of trade"and they "let him off"

> Usually legislation is drafted using phrases like "without lawful
> authority" or "without reasonable excuse". So a chef carrying a set of
> knives would have a reasonable excuse. So rather than being let off he
> was in fact not committing any offence.
> On the other hand a yob at 2am in a city centre with a single knife
> concealed in his waistband would be commiting an offence.
> Iain

I fully understand that that's why the phrase "let him off" and
"get away with" are in quotes.

--
yours S

David Hansen wrote:
>>A gentlemen in blue working for the British Transport Police
>>accosted him and asked him what he was carrying in his hand. Being
>>an honest sort of person he replied, "an electric drill". The
>>gentleman in blue then asked him what he was going to do with it.
>>"Drill holes in things", was the rather obvious reply.

to which Gordon Harris responded:
> Who did you say was stupid?
>
> The police guy was doing his job, and security officers aren't amused by
> jokers. Why didn't he say he was going to work on the fire alarm?

Where's the joke? If I was carrying an electric drill and someone asked
me what I planned to do with it, I would automatically answer: "Drill
holes in things." That's not being facetious, or trying to make a weak
joke, it's simply the obvious and honest answer to a stupid question.

Nick Kew wrote:
> Talking of not-work, how about a far more common situation? Not so
> long ago I realised my parents were using some seriously knackered
> kitchen knives. So I went out and bought some new ones - one of those
> sets of four or five that live in a wooden block. Could I have been
> banged up for carrying that home to them?

No. You had a good reason, which is a statutory defence.

R.

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Sniper8052 <> wrote:

> Ian Smith Wrote:

> > > Sniper replies:
> > >
> > > Well not in the case of a sharply pointed or bladed article.

> > I have plenty of sharply pointed pencils, and I frequently carry some
> > of them in an unlocked bag in a public place. The fact that this
> > makes me a dangerous violent criminal committing an offence is merely
> > proof of the increasingly totalitarian state in which I live.

> Sniper:
>
> Sorry I thought you were being funny. You'r scaring me now.
> Here is chapter and verse.

None of which disproves what I said - this government has made it a
criminal offence to carry pencils. I'll go through it step-by-step if
you like - feel free to point out what's wrong:

> Criminal Justice Act 1988
>
> Articles with blades or points and offensive weapons
>
> Offence of having article with blade or point in public place.

A sharpened pencil clearly has a point.

> 139.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any
> person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a
> public place shall be guilty of an offence.

So possessing a sharpened pencil in teh high street will be an
offence, subject to 4 and 5.

> (2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any
> article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding
> pocketknife.

No exemption for sharpened pencils, then.

> (3) This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting
> edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

No exemption for sharpened pencils, ethn.

> (4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence
> under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority
> for having the article with him in a public place.

No exemption for sharpened pencils unless you've a good reason, so
faced with a pig-headed policeman, no exemption. Most people have no
immediate need of a sharpened pencil - I don't think I've ever used a
sharpened pencil in a high street, for example.

> (5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above,
> it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this
> section to prove that he had the article with him—
> (a) for use at work;

I don't work in teh high street, so clearly it wouldn't be for use at
work. I use a propelling pencil or ball-point pen for most of my
work, so even travelling to and from wouldn't cover it.

> (b) for religious reasons; or

I know of no religion requiring teh carryiong of sharpened pencils.

> (c) as part of any national costume.

Nor of a national costume likewise.

> (6) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) above shall
> be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the
> standard scale.
>
> (7) In this section "public place" includes any place to which at
> the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on
> payment or otherwise.
>
> (8) This section shall not have effect in relation to anything
> done before it comes into force.

So, faced with an arrogant jobsworth, it IS a criminal offence in teh
UK to carry a sharpened pencil in a public place. As I said - an
increasingly totalitarian state.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:51:15 +0000, Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:

> Talking of not-work, how about a far more common situation? Not so
> long ago I realised my parents were using some seriously knackered
> kitchen knives. So I went out and bought some new ones - one of those
> sets of four or five that live in a wooden block. Could I have been
> banged up for carrying that home to them?

No, I've seen that specifically quoted as being a 'good reason'.
Might be better not to unwrap and brandish them on teh way home,
though.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Where I come from "random" has another meaning...

And the activities describes were definitely "random"

Richard Webb

On 1 Dec 2004 06:56:08 GMT, Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:

> A colleague of mine was once stopped by airport security and had a hand
> held metal detector waved over her. The security guard seemed quite
> concerned and needed some persuasion that what was detected was not a
> weapon, and no, she wasn't going to take her bra off to prove it.

I have never in my life got through airport security without either
being frisked or having my bag searched. Admittedly, mostly it's
because I'm wearing safety boots and tehy set off the metal detectors,
but on teh occasions when I'm not - I get my luggage searched (OK,
once I was carrying a knife I'd forgotten about).

> There are many more objects to hand on an aeroplane that could do much more
> damage than a nail file or even a penknife.

I've often thgought that. In particular, all that duty-free.
Purchase bottle of whatever, board plane, smash bottle on something
and hey presto you can do _much_ more damage to someone that you would
with teh flimsy 4" blade they took off me.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 1 Dec 2004 06:56:08 GMT, Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:

>David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> I note that underwired bras are not prohibited from aeroplane
>> cabins. This is another demonstration that these so-called security
>> measures are in fact just designed to reassure the nervous and allow
>> bods to say they have "done something".
>>

>A colleague of mine was once stopped by airport security and had a hand
>held metal detector waved over her. The security guard seemed quite
>concerned and needed some persuasion that what was detected was not a
>weapon, and no, she wasn't going to take her bra off to prove it.
>
>There are many more objects to hand on an aeroplane that could do much more
>damage than a nail file or even a penknife. Strangling someone with the
>ties on a life-jacket, battering someone over the head with somebody's
>laptop, making them eat the BMI "paninni" with scalding hot fat dripping
>out of it, etc.
>
>Graeme

You seem to have given this a lot of thought. Hmm....

Liz

Sorry I have been a little on the busy side.

> OT: Carrying pointy things (was Re: Swiss Army Knives now banned by Metropolitan Police London)
> in message <[email protected]>,
> Sniper8052 ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> A scythe whilst possibly not being an offensive weapon would be a
>> bladed atricle, it's an offence to have a sharply pointed or bladed
>> atricle in a public place aswell.**The*differance*is*that*no*intent*is
>> required.

> OK, this is beginning to bother me. When I'm doing coppice maintenance
> and other forestry jobs, I have an enormous collection of fairly lethal
> bladed instruments with me. Usually at least one billhook (40cm forged
> blade sharp enough to shave with, and weighing about 2Kg), one slasher
> (lighter than a billhook but with a handle about a metre long), one
> hatchet and one felling axe, and probably more than one locking pocket
> knife.
>
> I use the billhook so regularly that it usually sits loose in the pocket
> of the rear door of the truck, or strapped to the back of my rucksack.
> I have a locking pocket knife in my pocket virtually all the time.
>
> Is this really, really illegal? If so, how are people who do things like
> coppicing supposed to do their jobs?

The law recognises that there are exceptions when a person may have a
legitimate reason for carrying what might at other times be an offensive
weapon or bladed/pointed article.
Whilst employed in your normal work, or going to and from that work, you
would have a defence that the items were tools of your trade. The court,
if it got that far, would then decide if the circumstances fitted that
defence.
I don,t know the layout of your vehicle but I would say to you what I
have said to others in similar circumstances "put it beyond reach".
Whilst it may be the case that you could argue a defence at court
putting anything which is overtly a bladed article beyond immediate
reach will greatly deflect that possibility in the first place.

> On a related note, as you seem to take all the fun out of the discussion by
> using facts....
>
> I believe that if instructed or questioned by a Police Officer in the
> street, I have to give an answer or follow their instruction, but I don't
> have to answer to anyone else (e.g Ministry of Transport officers, who are
> usually accompanied by Police for this reason. I never give them any
> information - I still get caught by surveys, and delayed, but they don't get
> anything useful off me).
>
> What is the situation for Blunketts New Model Army; do I have to answer
> them, or can I just politely tell them 'no comment'. If they attempt to stop
> me, would it be a 'citizens arrest' (in which case I believe I can sue them
> personally for false arrest if no charges are brought), or do they have any
> more rights?

If a PCSO stops you for an offence then you must give him reasonable
information to enable the service of a summons or the issue of a FPN.
PCSO's also have powers to stop vehicles for roadside checks and
searches to detain persons for up to 30 minutes whilst awaiting police,
powers to search persons in the street, subject to PACE, and powers to
use reasonable force to prevent them making off. A Power to Request the
name and address of a person acting in an antisocial manner and a number
of other offences and powers such as enforcing cordons etc....this is
not an exhaustive list.
Once you have complied with giving your name and address or complied
with the substance of the request, provided it is a legal request, your
obligation has ceased.
I am not quite sure what you mean by 'ministry of transport officers'
but assume you mean revenue inspectors. These people hold a limited
type of warrant which gives them the power to request your name and
address if you are travelling without a ticket or having avoided the
correct fare. In practice your best off talking to them because they
will readily call police assistance if they cannot verify your details.
With any official request, police, pcso or revenue inspector you do not
have to give any information which might prejudice your defence or
account for your actions. Your only obligation is to comply with any
legal request and to provide your name and address if required in
connection with an offence. There is one exception, that of being a
witness to a serious offence where a police officer may require your
name and address.

> Well, not exactly, so far as I can tell. Section 141 of the Criminal
> Justice Act gives powers to the Secretary of State to effectively ban the
> manufacture, import, sale, hire or loan of certain weapons by making an
> appropriate Order. It seems an order was passed soon after the Act was laid
> which included certain kinds of knives (but not locking knives) and
> 'telescopic truncheons' which extend automatically. The powers contained in
> Section 141 to ban the sale, hire etc of those items does not amount to a
> ban on their possession, per se, by Statute, whether in a public place or
> not. To commit an offence of possession of any of those items I think you
> would have to look to the generality of the PCA.

Your getting close, S141 relates to possession with intent to offer for
sale, importation, manufacture or passing on of certain articles which
are by their nature offensive weapons proscribed under the schedule.
The offence is complete in public or private places.

As said certain articles are offensive weapons in themselves, a lock
knife and a telescopic baton are both offensive weapons. It is normal
practice to charge small lock knives, those with blades of 3" or less,
under s139 and larger knives as offensive weapons per-se.
The baton by its nature is an offensive weapon and can have no other use.

> Does it make any difference that (I imagine) that Simon's coppicing
> *isn't* work, it's a hobby. Can you still say "tools of the trade"?

Well it's not tools of the trade but it may be 'reasonable excuse'.
Again it depends on the circumstances.
I stopped a chap with a machete which he claimed was tools of the trade,
what trade I said? , painter and decorator he replied! As it was nearly
1am and he was going to the Notting Hill Carnival area I arrested him.
Not a reasonable excuse.

> Has anyone been charged with using a car as an offensive weapon, though I
> suppose the definition of 'carrying' would be interpreted as 'in possesion
> of'.

Yes, a number of people have been charged with attempted murder using a
vehicle as a weapon.

> They would have to open the case first and get the knife out. Any different
> in principle to being in a rucksack or a car boot that is not locked (or a
> tool box for that matter)?

Retrieving a knife from a brief case is far easier than retrieving it
from a stuffed rucksack or boot. Whilst technically there is no
difference in that if a knife of the type discussed were found in a car
boot it would still technically be an offensive weapon the context of
its finding would play a significant part in any defence.

> As soon as the driver intends to use is as a weapon it becomes offensive.
> Before that it is not necessarily so, surely? The case with the baton is
> that its only reasonable use is as a weapon so it cannot be anything other
> than offensive.

Yes, that's true to an extent, however the proof of intent lies with the
offender not the prosecution.

Section 1(1) of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953 states:

"Any person who without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof
whereof shall lie with him, has with him in any public place any
offensive weapon shall be guilty of an offence..."

Offensive weapons are defined by section 1 (3) of the act as:

"...any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to the
person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use by him
[or by some other person]."

> Lad at work had a collection of knives (he was a chef)
> one weekend (for whatever reason) he decided he was
> taking them home . He had got the bus on which a
> fracas caused the police to be called they searched/checked
> everyone and his knife roll was found he told them he was
> a chef and they were his"tools of trade"and they "let him off"

Not an offence, reasonable excuse, and often quoted training scenario.

> I think random in this context just means not just stopping the
> black/arab drivers/cars with wings and loud music etc.

Hey!! That's a racist comment :)

All the best

Sniper8052

David Hansen wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:14:48 +0000 someone who may be JLB
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>

>>What was so grown up about the violinist's joke?

> I don't remember making any observations on the "joke". However, a
> grown up reaction to it was lacking.

You did, however, suggest the jobsworth needed to respond in a grown up
way. I took that to imply that in your view juvenility was mostly or
exclusively been shown by the jobsworth and you were not criticising the
violinist. Someone who thought neither of them came out of it too well
might have been expected to write something like, "They both need to
grow up", to avoid using a double standard. Fair?

>>If someone says
>>they are carying a bomb, gun or something similar, can they ignore it?

> I don't recall saying that they should. A grown up reaction would be
> to look inside the case and see the violin, then make a suitable
> comment about having heard the "joke" before.

Yes, leaving it open to any number of numptys to enjoy playing the same
joke. As well as people with more sinister motives, who see the
advantage in wearing down the security staff (or to save me typing, "SS"
from now on) by getting them running around pointlessly, until they
cannot be arsed searching anybody. And those malicious troll-types who
like to attract attention, clog up the system and annoy everybody else
who is delayed as they exercise their sense of fun.

The serious reaction of the SS is the grown up reaction. Especially
when, despite the unrestrained whinging of those on the receiving end
(who have very definitely asked for it and have only themselves to
blame), the actual consequence is not that massive. It's *detention*,
for ****'s sake, just like school children used to get for mild
infractions of school rules. "You've been a bad boy, so you're going to
have to stay behind for a few hours while you think about what you did."
Awww. No nice plane ride for you.

> Instead the petulant reaction was all too typical of the breed.
> Despite the ridiculous over-reaction people continue to treat these
> bods with the contempt they deserve for their po-faced attitude.

Like the SS get treated with such respect otherwise. Getting paid what
they do, it is remarkable they are so reasonable.

It's quite clear which of the two was the more grown up, and it was not
the prat with the violin case.

--

Ian Smith wrote:

> So, faced with an arrogant jobsworth, it IS a criminal offence in teh
> UK to carry a sharpened pencil in a public place. As I said - an
> increasingly totalitarian state.

Certainly, if you give reason to think you are going to assault someone
with it, you are quite right.

A long time ago there was what I thought of as a silly story in a
newspaper about a young man carrying a paper bag with some very ripe
tomatoes in it. He was asked about this by a police officer. He said he
was going to throw them at someone else. Result: guilty of possession of
an offensive weapon.

Now it seems not so much silly as wholly credible.

As "sniper" so helpfully said:

An offensive weapon is:

"any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person,
or intended by the person having it with him for such use by him or by
some other person."

The relevant statute states:

"Any person who without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the
proof whereof shall lie on him, has with him in any public place any
offensive weapon shall be guilty of an offence.

Thus any thing can be an offensive weapon dependant on the intent of
the person in control of the article at the time.
--

David Hansen wrote:

> If that is your idea of being commendably alert I hate to think what
> your idea of being not alert is. The police were not trying to stop
> people walking along the approach, they were just keeping an eye on
> what was going on. An alert police officer would not ask idiotic
> questions.

If the police are just going to watch whatever is going on, it's hard to
see what they are paid for.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

"Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Well, not exactly, so far as I can tell. Section 141 of the Criminal
>> Justice Act gives powers to the Secretary of State to effectively ban the
>> manufacture, import, sale, hire or loan of certain weapons by making an
>> appropriate Order. It seems an order was passed soon after the Act was
>> laid
>> which included certain kinds of knives (but not locking knives) and
>> 'telescopic truncheons' which extend automatically. The powers contained
>> in
>> Section 141 to ban the sale, hire etc of those items does not amount to a
>> ban on their possession, per se, by Statute, whether in a public place or
>> not. To commit an offence of possession of any of those items I think you
>> would have to look to the generality of the PCA.

> Your getting close, S141 relates to possession with intent to offer for
> sale, importation, manufacture or passing on of certain articles which are
> by their nature offensive weapons proscribed under the schedule. The
> offence is complete in public or private places.

The reason why I mentioned Section 141 was because you said the baton and
the locking knife were defined as offensive weapons by Statute and suggested
that a list exists which specifically defines these items as offensive
weapons. That is somewhat inaccurate. You will find telescopic truncheons
listed in an order made under Section 141, but that section doesn't make
possession per se an offence. Locking knives are not listed at all and the
reason that a small-bladed folding/locking knife is an offensive weapon is
because the Courts have said so in interpreting Section 139, and not because
they are specifically listed in any Statute. But the effect is the same.

> As said certain articles are offensive weapons in themselves, a lock knife
> and a telescopic baton are both offensive weapons.

Yes, but for different reasons. Your telescopic baton is defined as such by
an order made under Section 141, even though that section doesn't cover
possession except with intent to sell, lend etc. A (small bladed) locking
knife is, because this was considered in caselaw for someone pleading a
defence that what they had was a folding knife, and it was decided that a
knife that locks doesn't come within the exception to Section 139 for small
folding knives. A large-bladed locking knife would be anyway just because of
the size of the blade and the fact that it locks would be irrelevant.

> It is normal practice to charge small lock knives, those with blades of 3"
> or less, under s139 and larger knives as offensive weapons per-se.

Well, Section 139 deals with all kinds of bladed and pointy articles
whatever their dimension. The 3" 'limit' only comes in, in respect of
non-locking folding knives which aren't considered offensive under section
139. Are you saying anything with a blade over 3" would be charged under
the Prevention of Crime Act? But if you are going to rely on the PCA rather
than Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act, then isn't that possibly going
to put the Crown in the position of having to prove intent, given that an
'offensive weapon', for the purposes of the PCA, is one which is :
(a) made or adapted for use for causing injury to persons; or
(b) intended by the person having it with him for such use by him or by some
other person.

Suppose the larger, fixed blade knife we are talking about is a kitchen
knife? That surely is not 'made for causing injury to persons'. So unless
you can prove intent I don't see how you could secure a conviction under the
PCA for someone having one in their possession, whatever the length of the
blade and the fact that it is fixed. In fact, apart from martial arts and
'combat' knives, there are probably a great many different types of knives
with blades of over 3" that, just because of the size of their blade,
doesn't mean they can fairly be described as being 'made..for use for
causing injury to persons'.

On the otherhand, under Section 139, it is an offence merely to be in
possession of a bladed article in public ('good reason' excepted), no need
to show intent and no need to prove a purpose of construction, and it covers
all kinds of bladed articles whatever their size, except small folding
pocket knives. So why wouldn't you prefer a charge under Section 139 for
all knives, except maybe where the knife was a small folding one (so not
covered by section 139 CJA) and you believed there was intent (and so
covered by the PCA)? It's easier to prove and I believe the sentencing
options are the same in either case?

Rich