Switchable Wheels?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by MilkyWhy, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. MilkyWhy

    MilkyWhy Guest

    I just bought a used schwinn and am starting to ride since I was a kid. Am
    starting to notice a bunch of shit on this bike I bought. Lot of gears I never
    use and other shit. A thought occurred to me,

    Do all bicycles wheels (of same size) "switch"? Or is this idiot schwinn stuff
    very proprietary and hard to match with other makes of bike? And, is there a
    bike that lets you quickly switch out front and rear wheels? I'm thinking of
    finding another (quick replacement, whole) wheel, in case I ever get a flat.
    I'm lazy and can't see myself dicking around trying to fix a flat --if i could
    just swap out the whole wheel.

    Tags:

  2. MilkyWhy wrote:
    > I just bought a used schwinn and am starting to ride since I was a
    > kid. Am starting to notice a bunch of shit on this bike I bought. Lot
    > of gears I never use and other shit. A thought occurred to me,
    >
    > Do all bicycles wheels (of same size) "switch"? Or is this idiot
    > schwinn stuff very proprietary and hard to match with other makes of
    > bike? And, is there a bike that lets you quickly switch out front and
    > rear wheels? I'm thinking of finding another (quick replacement,
    > whole) wheel, in case I ever get a flat. I'm lazy and can't see
    > myself dicking around trying to fix a flat --if i could just swap out
    > the whole wheel.

    Sure. Just take the spare wheel -- BEND THE SPOKES APART -- and stick your
    head in there. Then ride, with your spare wheel around your neck like a
    bandana. (You don't even need a helmet this way, as the tire will bounce
    and thus prevent your noggin from reaching the pavement and/or dirt.)

    You'll have to do a bit of minor truing before using that spare wheel,
    however, so carry a spoke wrench...and a hammer.

    HTH,
    --
    BS (no, really)

  3. What a great idea!!
    Why didn't you suggest something like this to Red Cloud?

  4. [email protected] wrote:
    > What a great idea!!
    > Why didn't you suggest something like this to Red Cloud?

    Spokes can't get wide enough to accommodate his fat head.
    --
    "Sorry the world just does not work by your white penis ass."
    -- Pungent Cloud

  5. Milhouse - you are a DUMBASS.

    App

  6. Milhouse - you are a DUMBASS.

    App

  7. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    MilkyWhy wrote:
    > I just bought a used schwinn and am starting to ride since

    I was a
    > kid. Am starting to notice a bunch of shit on this bike I

    bought. Lot
    > of gears I never use and other shit. A thought occurred to

    me,

    > Do all bicycles wheels (of same size) "switch"? Or is this

    idiot
    > schwinn stuff very proprietary and hard to match with

    other makes of
    > bike?

    There are only a few sizes of bicycle wheels, so there are
    many that can switch.
    It depends on the wheel radius (26, 27, 700), on the hub
    width and usually on the number of gear sprokets on the back
    whether you can switch easily.

    For example, I keep my studded tires on a separate wheel
    set, so I can easily swap them on and off in the winter as
    needed.

    Old Schwinns had proprietary rims, so they needed different
    tires. If your tire says something like "S5" or "S6" on it,
    it's a proprietary Schwinn size. But you can swap it for a
    "standard" size.

    > And, is there a bike that lets you quickly switch out

    front and
    > rear wheels? I'm thinking of finding another (quick

    replacement,
    > whole) wheel, in case I ever get a flat. I'm lazy and

    can't see
    > myself dicking around trying to fix a flat --if i could

    just swap out
    > the whole wheel.

    The main problem with flats is when you get one while you
    are riding. This approach won't help while you are on a bike
    ride, unless you want to tow a Burley trailer with spare
    wheels.

    If you aren't on the bike, but don't want to fix the flat,
    take it to a bike shop and they will fix it for you. It's
    been years since I've done this, but the cost was about $5
    for the tube and $5 for labor.

    By way of contrast, you will probably spend at least $60 for
    a cheap wheel, tube and tire -- the back will be about $30
    more because you will need a new gear cluster.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    "So class, who can tell me how much of our genetic code we

  8. Fx199

    Fx199 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Switchable Wheels?
    >From: "Mike Kruger" [email protected]
    >Date: 12/11/2004 3:01 PM US Eastern Standard Time

    >Old Schwinns had proprietary rims, so they needed different
    >tires. If your tire says something like "S5" or "S6" on it,
    >it's a proprietary Schwinn size. But you can swap it for a
    >"standard" size.

    Yep, Schwinn tires are a unique size. They are a fractional size, not decimal.
    Sheldon brown has all that info on his site.
    www.sheldonbrown.com
    Make sure you look at the tire for the s-6 or whatever is on there when you get
    a new tire.

  9. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    Mike Kruger wrote:

    > Old Schwinns had proprietary rims, so they needed

    different
    > tires. If your tire says something like "S5" or "S6" on

    it,
    > it's a proprietary Schwinn size. But you can swap it for

    > "standard" size.

    The last sentence was ambiguous.
    When I said "you can swap it" I meant you can swap out the
    whole wheel for a wheel with a standard rim.

    (The axles still need to be compatible unless the OP wants
    to get into cold setting, and if he doesn't want to change
    flats, he definitely doesn't want to cold set).

  10. Mike Kruger wrote:

    > There are only a few sizes of bicycle wheels, so there are
    > many that can switch.
    > It depends on the wheel radius (26, 27, 700), on the hub
    > width and usually on the number of gear sprokets on the back
    > whether you can switch easily.
    >
    > For example, I keep my studded tires on a separate wheel
    > set, so I can easily swap them on and off in the winter as
    > needed.

    I used to do this, but I found the difference in wheel axle
    spacing always caused problems. Ended up cobbing the second
    rear wheel to the bike with spacers. Then braking always
    behaved different or out of adjustment when wheels were
    swapped.

    I've now gone to a second MTB that is dedicated to wearing
    studded knobbies. I'll merely switch the front wheel of
    my primary winter mount between wide Avocet cross tire and
    standard knobby if road conditions are somewhere between road
    and studded tire performance.

    Swapping the front wheel is really easy and doesn't have the
    fit "complications" of a rear wheel. The two bike option is
    very nice!

    SMH