switching back from a touring derailleur to road...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by th_duck, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. th_duck

    th_duck Guest

    Hello all, long time reader, first time poster...

    Just recently picked up a Lemond Wayzata with the intention of using
    it mainly as a round-the-city ride and a once-every-couple-of-years
    touring bike. In anticipation for this upcoming trip I ponied up for
    some stronger wheels and wider tires and changed from a 12-25 cassette
    to a 12-32. In doing that I also neccesarily changed the derailleur
    from the stock "Tiagra" to a Deore LX. When I get back from this trip
    my intention is to go back to the "racing" wheels and the tighter
    cassette.

    Just looking for opinions on whether there is any good reason for me
    to go back to the Tiagra derailleur as well. I understand that it is a
    lower end item and the Deore LX is probably of higher quality, but if
    there are other issues I'd love to hear them.

    Michael Leduc

    Tags:

  2. Michael Leduc wrote:

    > Just recently picked up a Lemond Wayzata with the intention of using
    > it mainly as a round-the-city ride and a once-every-couple-of-years
    > touring bike. In anticipation for this upcoming trip I ponied up for
    > some stronger wheels and wider tires and changed from a 12-25 cassette
    > to a 12-32. In doing that I also neccesarily changed the derailleur
    > from the stock "Tiagra" to a Deore LX. When I get back from this trip
    > my intention is to go back to the "racing" wheels and the tighter
    > cassette.
    >
    > Just looking for opinions on whether there is any good reason for me
    > to go back to the Tiagra derailleur as well. I understand that it is a
    > lower end item and the Deore LX is probably of higher quality, but if
    > there are other issues I'd love to hear them.

    The only thing the Tiagra has going for it over the LX is that it is a
    wee bit lighter.

    Sheldon "Don't Bother" Brown
    | Happy Moon Landing Day to all! None of us should |
    | be working today--we should all be celebrating the |
    | most important event of the last millennium! |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. mleduc-<< wider tires and changed from a 12-25 cassette
    to a 12-32. In doing that I also neccesarily changed the derailleur
    from the stock "Tiagra" to a Deore LX. When I get back from this trip
    my intention is to go back to the "racing" wheels and the tighter
    cassette. >><BR><BR>

    just leave the longer cage rear der on. To make any future use of the big
    cassette possible w/o changing the rear der. they will work the same but the LX
    gives you more flexibility.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  4. g.daniels

    g.daniels Guest

    | Happy Moon Landing Day to all! None of us should |
    | be working today--we should all be celebrating the |
    | most important event of the last millennium! |

    pass the piccolo!
    several minutes of the best piloting in history
    incredible!!
    is there a tape of the landing on the web?

    beep beep beep beep

  5. th_duck

    th_duck Guest

    Thanks for the responses fellas...I'm glad to hear the long cage won't
    pose a problem with jumping. It makes it a much easier transition.

    M.Leduc