Switching bikes makes no difference?

Hillrider

Banned
Aug 6, 2013
I have a 50 dollar ccm and a 5000 dollar psycle werks wild hare full suspension bike.

What I have been doing is riding each to compare them doing the same track every day. Its a mix of pavement riding in the city and some off roading trails.

On the pavement the bikes behave basically the same. they both go forward when pedaling them. Whats the point of buying expensive bikes when you get the same workout from a 'cheap' bike?

Ride them both off-road, on singletrack and the like, and then come back and give us your impressions.

Yes I agree the cheap bike does wear out fast. It requires a once over every ride. The pedal broke off the other day and I was 6 miles from home I just rode it like a scooter.

That being said a pedal is a 10 dollar fix and the expenisive bike has the exact same pedals on it , steel.

As for off road I know a suspension bike will last longer but actually if you stand up while offroading say downhill with your knees bent your body becomes the shocks and springs. So essentilly there is no difference. Except for one subtle point, by Your body being the shock absorbers your getting a better workout because your working on the downhill harder to maintain control and limberness, so actually the cheap bike is better.

Hillrider said:
Yes I agree the cheap bike does wear out fast. It requires a once over every ride. The pedal broke off the other day and I was 6 miles from home I just rode it like a scooter. That being said a pedal is a 10 dollar fix and the expenisive bike has the exact same pedals on it , steel. As for off road I know a suspension bike will last longer but actually if you stand up while offroading say downhill with your knees bent your body becomes the shocks and springs. So essentilly there is no difference. Except for one subtle point, by Your body being the shock absorbers your getting a better workout because your working on the downhill harder to maintain control and limberness, so actually the cheap bike is better.
Nope. The parts you find on cheap, department store bikes are not necessarily and in many cases not at all what you find on more expensive bikes. Maybe you have to fix your $10 pedal because you were using a $10 pedal. Your understanding of workouts is confused at best.

Just replacing the kickstand cost $300.00 on my Fondriest. :)

It is true I have the same pedals on both my bikes they are both steel ones with plastic paddles. Steel lasts longer thats why I put them on there.

I just rode My CCM 48 Kms in 2.5 hrs doing 2 big hills to. Thats an average of 20 kms per hour almost or 12 Miles per hour. Thats pretty fast for a 50 dollar bike.

Originally Posted by Hillrider .

It is true I have the same pedals on both my bikes they are both steel ones with plastic paddles. Steel lasts longer thats why I put them on there.

I just rode My CCM 48 Kms in 2.5 hrs doing 2 big hills to. Thats an average of 20 kms per hour almost or 12 Miles per hour. Thats pretty fast for a 50 dollar bike.
Ok, I'm suspecting you are trolling a bit (low post count and edgy comments) but I am on the same boat sort off so...

I got a pair of flat pedals on my Allez. I got them as a replacement for 20 euro to the test ride plastic ones that came with it.

The other day they broke. The Allez is a road bike (not skunky enough or from cromoly or fixed) to use as a commuter so I cant buy another pair of flat wellgo ones. I will have to go for clipless in order to use it in the "normal" way.

I do want clipless ones but having too many gypsies driving around in non-legal vehicles and having alot of instances were I would maybe just bail from the bike really fast I am a bit sceptical. Plus I dont get paid.

So at the moment, 50 euro for a pair of black Sh. 105's. (70 on a shop 1km away from the 50euro one). 70 for a pair of Looks (40 over the net from Deutschland) etc...

Really if you are f@cking with this sport then you better be paid
tongue.png

Hillrider said:
It is true I have the same pedals on both my bikes they are both steel ones with plastic paddles. Steel lasts longer thats why I put them on there. I just rode My CCM 48 Kms in 2.5 hrs doing 2 big hills to. Thats an average of 20 kms per hour almost or 12 Miles per hour. Thats pretty fast for a 50 dollar bike.
Uhm, not all steel is the same, and not all pedals that have steel parts are the same. Speed has very little to do with the bike in the vast majority of cases.

Wellgo, thats the brand I replaced my clip pedals with when I got my psycle werks wild hare, i think they were 10 dollars for two pedals.
I have the clip pedals still I will sell them if anyone wants high end pedals that need shoes with clips on them.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Uhm, not all steel is the same, and not all pedals that have steel parts are the same. Speed has very little to do with the bike in the vast majority of cases.
You just proved My point. The performance of the bike has more to do with the rider than to do with the cost of the bike and riding a 50 dollar used bike vs a 5000 dollar bike doesn't make alot of difference. AND you get stonger and healthier pedaling a crappier bike because its harder to move it so in the end the cheap bike wins on many fronts.

Of course not all steels are the same, there is differen't metalurgy recipes to attain differen't levels of hardness, brittleness etc.

You just proved My point. The performance of the bike has more to do with the rider than to do with the cost of the bike and riding a 50 dollar used bike vs a 5000 dollar bike doesn't make alot of difference. AND you get stonger and healthier pedaling a crappier bike because its harder to move it so in the end the cheap bike wins on many fronts.

Of course not all steels are the same, there is differen't metalurgy recipes to attain differen't levels of hardness, brittleness etc.
So what are you after when shopping then?

I like the "nicer-cleaner" stuff that have a bit of a "research" going on. I am not dependent on them, (I dont race). But buying something out of a "dirty" factory doesnt really float my boat... I see nightmares after!

Wellgo, thats the brand I replaced my clip pedals with when I got my psycle werks wild hare, i think they were 10 dollars for two pedals.
I have the clip pedals still I will sell them if anyone wants high end pedals that need shoes with clips on them.
Well mine broke on the axle.

Didnt even bother asking about "warranty" for those (and they are not even the ultra-low-end chinese ones).

Hillrider said:
You just proved My point. The performance of the bike has more to do with the rider than to do with the cost of the bike and riding a 50 dollar used bike vs a 5000 dollar bike doesn't make alot of difference. AND you get stonger and healthier pedaling a crappier bike because its harder to move it so in the end the cheap bike wins on many fronts. Of course not all steels are the same, there is differen't metalurgy recipes to attain differen't levels of hardness, brittleness etc.
It's always been true that the human performance is the dominant factor in how "fast" you go on a bike. However, you've jumped over other benefits--of which there are many--to buying bike's more expensive than the el cheapo department store bikes:
  • Reliability
  • Quality of components and frame
  • Level of performance of components
  • Durability
  • Warranties
  • Service
  • etc
Further, you get just as strong and healthy pedaling lighter, more expensive bikes. Stay with your cheap bike if it makes you happy, but you'd be well served to read what's said here in the forums and elsewhere to learn why cheap isn't always better and why cheap doesn't suit every purpose. FYI, the steel that's in cheap bikes and cheap parts? Why, it's generally not the best or even good steel.

I hear the arguement and I know that my 5000 dollar full suspension bike does pedal alot smoother than my CCM 50 dollar bike. I just tore down and repacked the bearings in My CCM 20 minutes ago. there is basically 8 or 9 balls in there about 1/4" in size each, there was some minor pitting in the one outer race. i varsoled it and put it back together with some axle grease. I am going to see if that makes a difference to pedal effort.

These CCM bikes though they use 'inferior' grades of componenetry and mettalurgy I am of the impression that when tuned properly which is possible if your a good shade tree mechanic to figure out, that they can perform very close to a top of the line bike.

Try tearing down a bottom bearing in a chris king or shimano or any other top of the line bike and have it back together in under 20 minutes. = impossible

Originally Posted by Volnix .

Well mine broke on the axle.

Didnt even bother asking about "warranty" for those (and they are not even the ultra-low-end chinese ones).
My wellgo pedal broke off last week on a steep hill. I replaced it with another wellgo pedal.

Like I said I have a set of clip pedals that came with my other bike I am looking to get rid of. They are top of the line. I never wanted to use them because they are dangerous and only useful on a track.

I will let them go for an offer.

[SIZE= 13px]Try tearing down a bottom bearing in a chris king or shimano or any other top of the line bike and have it back together in under 20 minutes. = impossible[/SIZE]
Yeah right...
big-smile.png

My fav:

My wellgo pedal broke off last week on a steep hill. I replaced it with another wellgo pedal.

Like I said I have a set of clip pedals that came with my other bike I am looking to get rid of. They are top of the line. I never wanted to use them because they are dangerous and only useful on a track.

You had a broken Wellgo... You bought a broken Wellgo...

[SIZE= 13px]These CCM bikes though they use 'inferior' grades of componenetry and mettalurgy I am of the impression that when tuned properly which is possible if your a good shade tree mechanic to figure out, that they can perform very close to a top of the line bike.[/SIZE]
Thats what you pay for in the "other brands". The mechanic + Boonen posing in "assos" in France... aaaaaaand some reasearch!!!
big-smile.png

Would be interested if I wasnt in Euro-Country... (and if they had at least 3 screws on the cleats).