switching from smooth end bar shifter to calibrated shifter

osteomark

Jun 15, 2011
I'm a newbie to cycling and forgive me if I don't have the term correct:(
I have a 1983 Nishiki Pristique and I converted once from the down tube to end bar shifters. Spared my finger from the front tire when not looking when shifting:0.
y question is: can I switch from the ever annoying tweeking of the smooth shifter to a brake shifter? I would like to just tap the brake and have it shift. I realize I may have to get new front and rear derailer. The front sprocket is 2 and the rear is 6. I was wondering if I could make the rear a 7 or 8 gear as well. Probably will need a narrower chair. The bike doesn't own me a thing but I like it albeit heavy, and don't want to spend 800-1000 bucks for the modern bikes, unless there is a very good racer under $500. Don't know brand names too well. Sorry so long.
Mark

The proper terms are friction shifter and index shifter. My problem is also the front derailer is over shifting the large sprocket and chain coming off. A little disconcerting doing 30mph on thin tires!! I found there is an adjustment for the front derailer. I'll check it out tonight.
Mark

Originally Posted by osteomark .

My problem is also the front derailer is over shifting the large sprocket and chain coming off. A little disconcerting doing 30mph on thin tires!! I found there is an adjustment for the front derailer.
Yes, your over-shifting problem will more-than-likely be resolved by adjusting the front derailleur's OUTER stop ...

If you don't have a workstand, then AFTER you figure out which screw adjust the outer stop, turn it clockwise by a 1/4 turn ...

Test.

Repeat, as necessary.

BTW. As someone needed to remind me a few years ago, the FRONT shifter on indexed bar end shifters is friction-only; so, buying a set of indexed shifters will not be a beneficial resolution.

You might consider trying to find some indexed bar end shifters for your 6 speed system. They would be a nice inexpensive alternative to what you have and not nearly as expensive as integrated brake/shifters. Plus I don't know if they make integrated shifters for 6 cog rear.

You likely won't have to change the derailleur itself though.

Like mentioned above, the front shifting you should be able to adjust so that the chain doesn't drop at all. Actually, the front shifting is not as "improved" by indexing as rear, fwiw.